rss_v

What sort of eye-wear is acceptable?

they work just fine if you know your angle..

but as usual DocPop, you're only re-urgitating stuff you've READ.. :)

there's a lot more to it than that, the quality of polarising also plays a role, moreover, wearing a fullface with polarised lenses can also be an issue with rainbowing the lens.

I would ADVISE steering clear of polarised lenses also.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I've yet to see any transition lenses that are worth much skydiving wise.

Really, WOW, I have been wearing them for nearly 9 years, they work fantastic for me. I cant not jump without my glasses, and early on I got caught on a "last light" load it became darker than i was comfortable with (wearing sunnies). I have been wearing transitions ever since and they work great.

The pair I had were very temperature sensitive. I got them in Iraq, even early in the morning (say low 90's) they wouldn't fully transition unless I had them inside but with the window open so they got UV on them. I talked to the MFG and they even said they're much the opposite in extreme cold, they would almost black out because they got so dark.

Also, how long does it take to transition? Do they clear up in the plane and darken on exit?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I've yet to see any transition lenses that are worth much skydiving wise.

Really, WOW, I have been wearing them for nearly 9 years, they work fantastic for me. I cant not jump without my glasses, and early on I got caught on a "last light" load it became darker than i was comfortable with (wearing sunnies). I have been wearing transitions ever since and they work great.

The pair I had were very temperature sensitive. I got them in Iraq, even early in the morning (say low 90's) they wouldn't fully transition unless I had them inside but with the window open so they got UV on them. I talked to the MFG and they even said they're much the opposite in extreme cold, they would almost black out because they got so dark.

Also, how long does it take to transition? Do they clear up in the plane and darken on exit?

yes they are Temp sensitive, always have been, they are much better now than 30 years agho though (been wearing them since i was a kid) and yes they need UV not brightness to activate.(Glass blocks out UV light).
I wear then all day when at the DZ they take a couple of seconds to activate when in freefall, but by canopy time they are fully darkened. attached is am image with me wearing them in freefall
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

they work just fine if you know your angle..

but as usual DocPop, you're only re-urgitating stuff you've READ.. :)

there's a lot more to it than that, the quality of polarising also plays a role, moreover, wearing a fullface with polarised lenses can also be an issue with rainbowing the lens.

I would ADVISE steering clear of polarised lenses also.

Polarized light allows the residual stresses in transparent materials to be seen (as colored fringes in white light). You can see it in plastic water bottles, and even tempered glass windows. The physics is identical with the physics that allows Newton ring sights to work and is quite fascinating but beyond discussion here.

Anyhow, the "rainbowing" you describe is only likely with cast plastic lenses that will have residual stresses (like the G2 and G3). The lenses made from sheet plastic like a Z1 or OXYGN won't generally do it.

That said, I wear polarized sunglasses under my G3 and don't have a problem at all.

And as an additional note, if a LCD display manufacturer uses circular polarization instead of plane polarization, the problem with reading a display goes away. I note that my iPhone is like this.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I too wear polarized sunglasses while skydiving and have no issues. As Kallend stated, you might see some of the rainbowing depending on the view angle but that can be eliminated by turning the object slightly. The only time I have not been able to see a screen, no matter what angle I viewed it from while wearing polarized sunglasses was at a gas pump.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

How do you figure out if a certain pair of glasses will block the wind well enough, before you try them in the air and go blind?

Do they have to have a very tight seal to the face? And do you have to wear a string around the back of your neck, between the arms of the glasses, in case they come off?

Wear goggles and you won't have a problem.

That said, different people have different tolerances for wind in the eyeballs. A couple of guys I know jump in their regular specs, and they seal about like Shane MacGowans teeth. For most people, something wrap around like a pair of Gatorz or Curv-Z seal well enough. For others, only a hermetically sealed space helmet is wind proof enough.

And yes, it's best to use a croakie unless you like losing your glasses 2 miles above the planet. General rule for skydiving, if it isn't tied down, you'll lose it.