rss_v

What sort of eye-wear is acceptable?

Hi - basic question: I see that people wear all kinds of different goggles or glasses. Is it pretty much that you can wear whatever you like so long as it stays on?

Then there may be concerns about shatter-resistance and so on, but in the first instance can you really wear anything basically? I have none of my own kit but gloves and goggles are at the top of my list, since the rental ones are pretty disgusting. Krrops are pretty cheap but apparently they fall apart after ten jumps...

I want anything either clear or very lightly tinted/shaded - but not coloured. I nearly always pull my goggles off once under canopy, because they mist up easily and I have poorer view of the ground for landing, so something I can slip down will be necessary. That's possible just by routing the strap across the middle of my ears rather than over/behind them.

Sorry for the stupid question, then - but, within reason, basically can I just wear whatever I find that fits?

Are you a student?

Not AFF, but perhaps soon FS and so on. I'd want something clear anyway, for eye contact at other times than in the air (on the plane etc) and just for visibility. Though I suppose, I like I said, I tend to pull them off under canopy.

Don't believe everything you hear. I have used Kroops for over twenty years (OTG) and I have never had a problem with them. You won't be the Kool Kid on the block with the latest and greatest, but they are inexpensive and they work just fine.

Fair enough. Any idea why they're so cheap compared to other plastic-and-elastic types of goggles? I assumed the DZ student/rental ones were crap but they're a more expensive type than Kroops.

Could be the relative size of their market. Kroops are marketed to other sports that have a greater number of participants, where some of the others may be skydiving-specific. Spreading fixed costs over a smaller volume = higher prices.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The problem with Kroops as I see it is that the elastic strap loses strength so quickly, so one is always fiddling to adjust it shorter, or it is nearly 'stretched out' with little elasticity at all. When digging through a pile of goggles for students, the Kroops always seem to be the crappiest choice. Other types like Flexvision have a stronger bungee (although harder against the head). I personally like Skyeyes' soft silicone strap which lasts pretty long.

But that's only looking at traditional skydiving goggles; many people use full face helmets (not normally for students!), or various other eyewear like sunglasses and sports goggles. Sunglasses are great for some people, but others with more sensitive eyes find that even tight fitting ones allow an uncomfortable blast of air on the eyeballs.

Could be the relative size of their market. Kroops are marketed to other sports that have a greater number of participants, where some of the others may be skydiving-specific. Spreading fixed costs over a smaller volume = higher prices.

Along those lines, check out motorcycle gear shops; I have a set of sunglasses made specifically for keeping the wind out of your eyes. They double pretty well for skydiving :)

Another idea would be to get some prescription eyewear sport glasses. Even if you don't wear prescription lenses you can get frames with non prescription lenses and that would allow you to get whatever type of coatings or tints you want (transitions lenses). Liberty sport makes some pretty nice frames that are great for jumping. Also think about it just about any eyewear that is good for motorcycling would probably work for jumping as well

Another idea would be to get some prescription eyewear sport glasses. Even if you don't wear prescription lenses you can get frames with non prescription lenses and that would allow you to get whatever type of coatings or tints you want (transitions lenses). Liberty sport makes some pretty nice frames that are great for jumping. Also think about it just about any eyewear that is good for motorcycling would probably work for jumping as well

I've yet to see any transition lenses that are worth much skydiving wise.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

they work just fine if you know your angle..

but as usual DocPop, you're only re-urgitating stuff you've READ.. :)

No, I am passing on knowledge from a mistake I made.

The more you post, the less credible you become.

right, says the guy with 300 jumps and a 120 katana.. need i say more!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

you're giving advice now doc? when did you become an instructor along the way?

Am I an eye wear instructor? No, not got that rating yet. The OP asked for advice - I gave him some. Nobody is forcing him to take it.

If you wish to continue this personal vendetta against me - again I suggest you either take it to PM or start your own thread. You add little to no value to these forums and quite frankly I am surprised you haven't been given a break for some of the idiotic things you have said. I doubt anyone is impressed by your spouting bullshit whilst hiding behind an internet persona.

I've yet to see any transition lenses that are worth much skydiving wise.

Really, WOW, I have been wearing them for nearly 9 years, they work fantastic for me. I cant not jump without my glasses, and early on I got caught on a "last light" load it became darker than i was comfortable with (wearing sunnies). I have been wearing transitions ever since and they work great.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Both of you need to take that conversation to PM or the parking lot, I don't care which, but if it continues in this thread or in this forum, you can expect a very long time away from the forums.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING