buff

Reserve not closed correctly-what to do?

Repack 3 months ago by a rigger I have used before. Picked it up and never jumped it until I went to DZ this weekend. Something didn't seem right when I was preflighting it. V3 with skyhook and the top flap would not tuck at the bottom of top reserve flap.

I have packed it with a rigger before but it took me a bit to figure that the side flaps were under the outter bottom flap. I looked it up and #3 is over #4 and #5. I can see the grommets are stacked and it appears that it should function but not being a rigger should I take it back and have the rigger redo it?

Riggers at the DZ would not mess with it because it was anothers seal.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

The term for this is, "Oppsy". This was actually very commen back when vector 2's closed in just way. It will probbable work fine but the bottom line is that it's just not right and tecnicly not leagle. So take the thing back to him and slap him up side the head and make him reclose it. He'll be quite shagrined over the whole thing. And if there was a case of bear involved in the transaction make him repay it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

The term for this is, "Oppsy". This was actually very commen back when vector 2's closed in just way. It will probbable work fine but the bottom line is that it's just not right and tecnicly not leagle. So take the thing back to him and slap him up side the head and make him reclose it. He'll be quite shagrined over the whole thing. And if there was a case of bear involved in the transaction make him repay it.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/stocksnapper/stocksnapper0909/stocksnapper090900025/5613968-old-teddy-bear-in-a-cardboard-box-with-styrofoam-packaging.jpg

:P

The fact that you come here to ask this is down right frightful .....its your life , don't second guess about gear always have it checked out,,get a second opinion if need be..:S

Guess a D license ain't what it use to be. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If ur having a hard time closing the reserve pin flap or its sticking out to much i would not jump it. I would def bring it back to the rigger that packed it and have him repack it altogether. If that is not an option take a few pictures and have another rigger do it. And then look for a refund!
And one more point its always a very good idea to check te rig and paperwork when u pick up the rig! it can prevent a whoopsie like this.
I once forgot to sign off a data card for a customer, oops cost me a ciuple of beers and a few phone calls and a fax to sort it out.

The fact that you come here to ask this is down right frightful .....its your life , don't second guess about gear always have it checked out,,get a second opinion if need be..:S

Guess a D license ain't what it use to be. ;)

+1 I guess “expert” doesn’t mean what it used to.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/DLic.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Lee

You probably packed it before as it was Randy's first rig b4 he bought the Deere rig. I'm comfortable pulling silver with what is in there. I can pull the cable and feel tension on the pin. The SH collins lanyard is routed correctly. The pin goes and that spring is comming out.

My bad was just picking up my rig and making sure the card was completed as I have to travel either 2 hrs or 5 hrs to a DZ. I've pulled silver on my non-aad Talon that was packed by this person so really, it's closed so yea my bad.

The question is not one of will it work when I need to do my job, but is it legal? Lee knows the deal at SDD with visitors and that is what bites. During check in, the staff rigger checks and say's it's incorrect and you can't use it here at X dz.

I would not sit with it as the top flap is an issue and going head down, the other flaps can let air flow in and you can get a finger into the bottorm corners but for belly or H&Ps, I don't see an issue other than a rigger throwing up a roadblock on a check-in inspection.

And with the FAA all over PLAs and chucking more shit at the sport, that is why I asked Mr. Wally. This is the part where I get the second opinion before I show up and get called out because it may work but not be legal. I was not too cool with the idea of a guy going into the carboard and you may have been but it worked either way.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

If it top flap won't close, how could the rigger who packed it think he was done? Isn't an overall inspection of the rig one of the check items on the repack sheet? Attention to detail is one of the prime requirements here, if the big stuff is wrong, how could you be that confident the rest is ok? Wow, it's only your life.

Obviously as others have said go talk to the rigger and slap him a few times. For sure after a goofup he'll be more careful. Every good rigger is very careful but even the best occasionally do have a brain fart. Yes, I know a rigger should never make a mistake, nor should a pilot, doctor or rig manufacturer but it can happen. I his packjobs make you feel uncomfortable then switch riggers.

-Michael