FreefallSnoopy

Analog altimeter to 30k?

It seems silly, and after not getting any search results for this question I've gotta ask:

Is it bad to take an altimeter on a regular commercial airline flight? The marine engineer in me thinks that maybe altimeters are designed to go to 12k and not much more, thus taking it to 30-35k could possibly damage an altimeter. Then again, logic would seem to dictate that with all the people who travel with their rigs and gear, its unlikely that this is an issue.

Sorry if this is a dumb one or has been covered recently, just been wondering for a few days now. Thanks

Of course, if your commercial aircraft does depressurize at 30K+ feet, damage to your altimeter may be the least of your worries. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Of course, if your commercial aircraft does depressurize at 30K+ feet, damage to your altimeter may be the least of your worries. :D

You may want to have it on your wrist at that point...with your rig, helmet and don't forget your GoPro.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

hahaha, no worries, i'll be sure to get a gear check from my armrest enemy just before i kick the emergency exit open...

Don't do that just because of a depressurization! :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am