schon267

lay off rule

I know I'm an infant in this great sport, but to me the 30 day rule regarding having to do a coach jump is too short. I don't get a chance to get to the dropzone as often as I would like, sometimes 6 weeks may elapse. but I also know with the thorough training I had, I'm not gonna forget anything to do with staying stable in freefall, ep's, when to pull, (4000' for me), flying my landing pattern, and most of all watching for other traffic on the way down.

I don't ever let 2 months go by without doing some jumps, and I usually always do solos, so I'm not endangering anyone else, all that being said, I would think 3 months would be a better time frame to make people do a retrain coach jump, unless obviously you felt you needed too.
30 days just seems way to short to have to retrain, life and finances just doesn't let me get to the dropzone as often as I would like too.

I know I'm an infant in this great sport, but to me the 30 day rule regarding having to do a coach jump is too short. I don't get a chance to get to the dropzone as often as I would like, sometimes 6 weeks may elapse. but I also know with the thorough training I had, I'm not gonna forget anything to do with staying stable in freefall, ep's, when to pull, (4000' for me), flying my landing pattern, and most of all watching for other traffic on the way down.

I don't ever let 2 months go by without doing some jumps, and I usually always do solos, so I'm not endangering anyone else, all that being said, I would think 3 months would be a better time frame to make people do a retrain coach jump, unless obviously you felt you needed too.
30 days just seems way to short to have to retrain, life and finances just doesn't let me get to the dropzone as often as I would like too.

So get your 'B' license.
You state you have 69 jumps (>50). If I recall correctly that gives you 3 months.

Where's the problem?

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

You say you have an 'A' licence:

A LICENSE
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall within
60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision
of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until
demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes,
tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in
groups.

B LICENSE
USPA B-license holders who have not made a freefall
skydive within the preceding 90 days should make at least
one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional
rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely
exercise the privileges of that license.

C AND D LICENSE
USPA C and D-license holders who have not made a
freefall skydive within the preceding six months should
make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA
instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to
safely exercise the privileges of that license.

Oh, and there's no whining in skydiving. Shut up and jump.

:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Just because you are doing a solo does not mean that you are not a danger to someone else.

Why do you only do solos?

Maybe because he's smart?

There's a real misconception going around DZ.com that you have to be and stay current to be safe. Some have even suggested that quitting skydiving is a better idea than jumping infrequently. What bullshit.

What is important is realizing your level of currency, and making your choices accordingly. Doing a solo, or choosing to jump with a coach or instructor are prudent choices for an uncurrent jumper.

Wanting to get on a big way, or try a smaller canopy would not be prudent choices.

Lets face it, we see the most uncurrent jumpers of all at the DZ every day, we call them AFF level 1 students. With sufficient preparation, and two instructors, most of them manage to go up and make a safe skydive.

If a jumper is willing to realize the limitations of being uncurrent, and isn't afraid to ask for a refresher, or simply do a solo, then by all means show up five or six times a season and get your knees in the breeze.

So are you saying that no one on the dropzone who is jumping whether current or not is not a danger to anyone else at the dropzone

No I think he's saying that the ones that realize that they may be less than 100% and approach their jumping from that standpoint are to be encouraged rather than sent packing. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I understand what you were saying.

All I was saying is that on some level we are all still dangerous to everyone else. Wether you do one jump every 60 days, or you make 10 jumps every day.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

>that you have to be and stay current to be safe.

You do have to stay current to be safe doing any given discipline within skydiving. If you get uncurrent, it is wise to back off and do something simpler or get coaching (hence the coach requirement.)

As you mentioned, as long as jumpers are willing to "back off" what they are doing, you can be fairly uncurrent and still be safe. The danger arises when a jumper does informal 4-way with some friends, doesn't jump for a while, then shows back up and wants to do another 4-way (because they're used to that, their friends are there, they always do 4-way, whatever.) That can be dangerous, and that's why the currency requirements are there.

first, I was mistaken about the 30 days, evidently it's 60 as posted above. one of the instructors asked me if it had been more then 30 days. uspa must have changed this, I don't have this years sim, rest assured, I will get it

also, I only do solos because I don't get to the dropzone that often and I really don't know anyone around my level. I don't do or have ever done a 4-way, or 3-way, wait I did do a 3-way once, it was great fun even know the clouds we're an issue.

I do know my skill level and limitations, and would not do anything I wasn't ready to do, plus, I am very very aware of my surroundings under canopy, even know my landings suck, I just can't get the stand-up every time. another story though.

botoom line, I refuse to endanger myself or others until I'm sure of what I'm doing!!!! but 60 days is o.k with me, skydiving is not the cheapest of sports and I just can't get their more then I do, believe me, if I could I would be up their every weekend, and would have my B license!! and experience night jumps and high altitude jumps.

I don't do or have ever done a 4-way, or 3-way, wait I did do a 3-way once, it was great fun even know the clouds we're an issue.

Oh man Im sorry but your almost missing some of the best fun Ive had. Jumping with people is the best

Personally if I dont jump at least one day a week(3-5jumps) I feel uncomfortable. To me skydiving isnt something natural for the mind and body to go through so being at my beginner skill level I try to stay current to be safe and because its the most fun Ive ever had!!!!!B|

You say you have an 'A' licence:

A LICENSE
USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall within
60 days should make at least one jump under the supervision
of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until
demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes,
tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in
groups.

B LICENSE
USPA B-license holders who have not made a freefall
skydive within the preceding 90 days should make at least
one jump under the supervision of a USPA instructional
rating holder until demonstrating the ability to safely
exercise the privileges of that license.

C AND D LICENSE
USPA C and D-license holders who have not made a
freefall skydive within the preceding six months should
make at least one jump under the supervision of a USPA
instructional rating holder until demonstrating the ability to
safely exercise the privileges of that license.

Oh, and there's no whining in skydiving. Shut up and jump.

:)

Does the USPA consider a "coach" rating to be and "Instructional" rating?
I would see a distinction
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I only do solos because I don't get to the dropzone that often and I really don't know anyone around my level.

I'm not a huge fan of the coach program, but jumping with a coach is one good way for someone at your level to get someone to jump 2-ways with you so you can become a safer, more skillful jumper. Doing nothing but solos, you have no point of reference to gauge horizontal movement and fall-rate control - which are crucial skills - and wind up developing bad flying habits that will be that much harder to break.

Edit to add: Unless you're jumping at a DZ that gives separate passes to each jumper or group - a rarity these days - even someone who prefers nothing but solo jumps needs to learn good control and awareness of horizontal movement in freefall, to avoid unintentionally sliding up or down the jump run and presenting a risk of collision with other jumpers. Again, the best way to learn that is by jumping with other people.