NovaTTT

Debris in Reserve Tray Vs. Cutter

Not a slam or comment for or against any H/C or AAD - just interested in discussing the issue.

I received a Basik Seven today for I&R. AFAIK it is common knowlege that a "con" for the Seven is that because of the freebag/reserve container design it is prone to accumulating debris in the reserve tray. With this jumper's extensive travels and use, this rig has quite a bit of debris collected in the tray.

What concerns me is that amid the debris are six or more pebbles which could fit into the cutter head. Also, there was some sand and dirt around the bottom flap grommet (below the pilot chute) but nothing larger than a grain.

I'll check the cutter pocket when I inspect the rig later, but I didn't have the opportunity to see if any of the pebbles were near the cutter when I opened the tray; I shifted the rig before noticing the amount of collected dirt.

Does anyone know if cutter vs pebbles, etc. has been tested? Data available?

Other riggers thoughts, experiences?

Lastly, I'd like to encourage AAD equipped Seven jumpers to be mindful when landing and when handling your Seven.

Cheers.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

that could probably happen with ANY rig if you treat your gear like shit.. :S

I have shaken gravel, grass, sand, twigs, etc. out of Atom, Bullet, Centarus, Dual Hawk, EOS, Genesis, Icon, Javelin, Mirage, Naro, Quasar, Reflex, Sidewinder, Talon, Vector, Wings, Xerox, etc, reserve containers.

that could probably happen with ANY rig if you treat your gear like shit..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have shaken gravel, grass, sand, twigs, etc. out of Atom, Bullet, Centarus, Dual Hawk, EOS, Genesis, Icon, Javelin, Mirage, Naro, Quasar, Reflex, Sidewinder, Talon, Vector, Wings, Xerox, etc, reserve containers.

Rob,
Have you actually packed a Seven Container?

The reason being is that the Seven's design is totally different than all the rigs that you just listed.

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

This possible issue was a point we worked on when we started. What we found was, if used normaly with care in any kind of environment this will hapened like any other rigs. If badly treated it is evident that more dust and debris can be found in it. But, till now such bad treatment never started an issue.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

A hand held vacuum is really handy for cleaning out reserve trays, instead of shaking the rig out in the packing area or trying to sweep dirt out by hand.

The question is, how much worse the dirt gets for a Seven than other rigs. I'd like to know what riggers in sandy areas find.

It's an nice rig, but everything has its little tradeoffs.

We jumped in sandy area for a month and what we found the worse was a quater hand of sand in one rig.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Jerome, this is not a knock on your gear at all, which is excellent IMO. I mentioned that right up front and hope you don't percieve this as such.

Other rigs can and do get stuff in the reserve tray, as we've all seen. It just happens that because of the Seven's unique design debris can work its way into the reserve packtray much more easily than with 4 (or more) flap rigs.

But this isn't about the Seven other than drawing attention to the situation; it's about the AAD cutter, especially in connection with the Seven.

At this point it's a matter of curiousity and interest. Anyone know if there have been cutter tests involving obstructions? Data?

Cheers.

N
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Do n ot worry I do not perceived it like this. My intervention is just to explain how it works for those who do not know the rig. Concerning the cutter, as you know everything can happening. This is one one the reason plus the catch possibility of the cutter by a line that we have protected it.
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr

Anyone know if there have been cutter tests involving obstructions? Data?

N

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIiDp7bVOYE&feature=plcp

This video was made in 2006.

As we already know, their cutter doesn't work well with a bowling ball inside....or was it steal ball from a shot bag [:/] I don't remember anymore B|

You can ask AIRTEC if they did any similar tests.

In my opinion a single blade ( only CYPRES at the moment) cutter will perform better with debris inside
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Some may treat their gear like shit, but if it only takes one crash and burn (which has happened to all of us) to fill your reserve tray with debris, that is not a good thing. Protecting the small opening between the pull up cord and the cutter assembly would not be a difficult problem to solve.

The cutter is protected, but not the opening where the pull up cord passes through. The area of the reserve container below the pilot chute is shaped like a funnel with a grommet at the bottom. This area collects debris (like other rigs) and directs the debris directly towards the cutter opening. This is a cutter issue. A small cellophane washer to cover the opening, provided by the cutter manufacturer might be an idea.

The cutter is protected by being in a pocket. The pocket has a hole cut in it to allow the pull up cord to pass through. The hole in the pocket has a much larger diameter than the hole in the cutter. In the attached photo the cutter has rotated while moving the open rig around so the pass through hole is below the pull up cord.

The cutter is protected by being in a pocket. The pocket has a hole cut in it to allow the closing loop to pass through. The hole in the pocket has a much larger diameter than the hole in the cutter. In the attached photo the cutter has rotated while moving the open rig around so the pass through hole is below the closing loop.