Deyan

Harness failures

Also why rigs now are built with a chest strap that has a sacrificial strip inside the load-bearing chest strap, so that if any sharp edge is present to cut into the we.

Of course that protects just the fixed side. The side that threads through the buckle can't benefit from that fix. On the other hand, rigs nowadays used doubled-up chest strap webbing much more than they used to, when a single type 8 strap was more common.

Some do, some don't...
JW

Most modern harnesses include sacrificial strips at all points where hardware rubs (fays as in it is not supposed to move very much) against structural webbing.
That '94 Talon had a sacrificial strip of Type 12 webbing and I still had to replace the right side of the chest strap.
The sharp edge on the buckle cut through both the Type 12 (chaffing aka. buffer) and the Type 8 structural webbing.

Exposure to sunlight will definitely weaken webbing.

And if the webbing will lose its strength more than 50 % imagine what will happen to the cord 5 :S
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Samples/examples/studies and tests of the old gear would be much better at helping us inspect and, if needed, explain why a trusted rig shouldn't be trusted (or packed) any more.

We keep most of the webbing we replace, ( chest straps, leg straps, MLW's etc.) for the time we find some place to pull test it......unfortunately, is not easy to find such a place [:/]
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Sorry for being a bit late to the conversation.

I've seen a fair bit of webbing wear on some old, very rough handled Telesis I's but I've only seen two atually harness failures (albeit, I was at a small dz).

The first was at one of the later Quincy's and a large jumper jumped an old rig where the thread had went rotten. Most of the stitching let go as the canopy opened. Jumper reported an unusually soft opening on a Sabre I, which we think is the only thing that saved his life.

Second time was on my own rig when I, a very heavy jumper, was learning to fly wingsuits. I have an extremely high forward velocity and my slider doesn't function well during ws deployments, so I had some truely brutal openings before I learned to get the suit shut down before opening. After one hard-opening jump that damaged my ws, I thought to do an in-depth inspection on the rig. During that inspection, I noticed that the seam on one side of the left riser's 3 ring loop had opened up about 4/5th's of the way.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."