feuergnom

Strong TNT

so has anyone had their hands on one of these except for skydive expo yet? any real life experience jumping?

plz could we leave the brandwar shit out of this one?!? thx!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I can't afford one, and my DZO isn't going to spring for new rings anytime soon, but it looks real nice.

I am trying to figure out what this means:

http://www.strongparachutes.com/pages/Tandem/force.html

"Another enhancement of the TNT is the H-style drogue attachment. This design keeps the drogue centered allowing a natural belly to earth position (instead of a head-down position like some systems) without the split sometimes seen with the Dual hawk."

Split, what?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Just guessing: maybe they are referencing the tendency of the DH to flex a great deal at the main/reserve packtray junction due to the drogue pulling the two up and away from the TI's back?
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Just guessing: maybe they are referencing the tendency of the DH to flex a great deal at the main/reserve packtray junction due to the drogue pulling the two up and away from the TI's back?

I believe that's what it meant.

The TNT isn't TSO'ed last I heard hence the hold up in the states. I have heard that they may be selling 'em overseas.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I believe that's what it meant.

The TNT isn't TSO'ed last I heard hence the hold up in the states. I have heard that they may be selling 'em overseas.;)

Not sure that is correct. They are lending us Dual Hawks until the TNT is available. I am sure our DZO has indicated his willingness to take delivery pre-TSO but still no joy.

I can't afford one, and my DZO isn't going to spring for new rings anytime soon, but it looks real nice. ...

"

Three or four years from now, your cheapskate DZO will not have any choice,because Strong will quit manufacturing Dual Hawks. TNT will be the only new tandem harness/container available from Strong.
Also, he will have to retire Dual Hawks when they reach 18 years old.

I don't think it is a cheapskate issue Rob.

The rigs are well maintained and have been back to Strong for re-certification. We are a 182 DZ that only jumps May - October, so they don't get a ton of jumps each season.

It is economically sound to jump rigs that are in good condition instead of summarily grounding them because they aren't the next best thing.

Well maintained DHT's are workhorses that get the job done safely.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Last winter, I inspected a TNT at the PIA Symposium.

A couple of weeks ago, I discussed it with Mike Rinaldo (SEI factory). Mike said that they were ready to test drop TNT prototypes and had contracted with a California firm to do the actual drop tests.

Mike predicted that TNT production will begin in late 2012. That means that TNT introduction will be in the spring of 2013 for northern North American DZs.

The first few production TNTs will be loaned to Strong Tandem Examiners, who will show them off and cross-train TIs. The biggest teaching point will be new drogue-release locations. TNT standardizes drogue-release handles on the TI's right hip and the lower, left corner of the main container.

DZs that already operate Dual Hawks can get a head-start on the cross-training process by installing extra drogue-release buckles on their TI's right leg pads.
Just ask SEI for a field-approval.

There are three advantages to clipping the student's drogue-release handle onto the instructor's right hip.

First, it elimnates one step in the whole hook-up and un-hook process.

Secondly, it simulates BOC main deployment for the student. All modern AFF student rigs have BOC, throw-out pilot-chutes.

Thirdly, it promotes commonality with all the other tandem manufacturers. E,iminating the last major hurdle to one - global - TI certification standard.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
Racer Tandem Check Pilot
Vector TI since 1986
Sigma TI since last month
FAA Master Rigger

Rob, did you happen to notice if the main and secondary handles had a system for retaining the ripcords? We ended up using a bungee system to keep our students from dropping them but the bngee has to be maintained and we only use them with the student ripcord location.

Bungee-retractors have been standard on Dual Hawk student drogue releases for a few years now.

I vaguely remember that TNT having a bungee cord on the student's (right side) drogue-release, but did not look closely at the left-side drogue-release.
It would make sense to include a bungee cord on the TI's (left side) drogue-release as well.
Maybe I should suggest that to SEI????

The H-Style drogue attachment is exactly that, where the drogue attaches to the bag/canopy. Instead of having the drogue attached at the center of the bag and the 2 legs of the y-line going through 2 separate grommets. The drogue will be attached to center bar of the H looking hardware, that is sewn into the d-bag. There will then be a single kill line instead of the y-line, which will not have as much wear and tear on it. We jumped it at our IE course last fall, along with the 366 reserve as a main. I think they will be good enhancements of the gear.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy