AdamWirtz2001

Questions about a Diablo

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used 150 Diablo. Any idea what that is worth with several hundred jumps on it?(600-800) In good condition.

I am currently jumping a 170 SabreII. Will this be very different compared to what I fly now? I am building a second rig, so I will continue to jump both canopies in the future.

Thanks for the tips!

Adam

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used 150 Diablo. Any idea what that is worth with several hundred jumps on it?(600-800) In good condition.

I am currently jumping a 170 SabreII. Will this be very different compared to what I fly now? I am building a second rig, so I will continue to jump both canopies in the future.

Thanks for the tips!

Adam

Why a Diablo? This is not a really smart move. Diablo said to be only one merit: the fastest turn rate with toggles. Is that the only your are looking for? I'd buy a smaller Sable 2 if I were you and looking into swooping...

The Diablo is the canopy with the most roll, more than a stiletto. It scared the hell out of me a couple times @ 800 jumps. I wouldn't recommend it for a newer jumper at all. It also is a totally different canopy from a sabre2, in just about anything you can think of - sensitivity to body position is quite high during opening and also after (you can turn it into linetwist just by undoing your booties... at least that was what happened when I loaned out my diablo 120). It's a 7cell. On risers it won't do much, on toggles however it TURNS. And GOES DOWN. Flare is way less than a sabre 2. Swooping potential for a diablo is the same as for a triathlon - almost zero.

If you want something like a sabre2, get a fusion, or otherwise stick with a medium performance 9cell like a safire or maybe a pilot.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The Diablo is the canopy with the most roll, more than a stiletto. It scared the hell out of me a couple times @ 800 jumps. I wouldn't recommend it for a newer jumper at all. It also is a totally different canopy from a sabre2, in just about anything you can think of - sensitivity to body position is quite high during opening and also after (you can turn it into linetwist just by undoing your booties... at least that was what happened when I loaned out my diablo 120). It's a 7cell. On risers it won't do much, on toggles however it TURNS. And GOES DOWN. Flare is way less than a sabre 2. Swooping potential for a diablo is the same as for a triathlon - almost zero.

If you want something like a sabre2, get a fusion, or otherwise stick with a medium performance 9cell like a safire or maybe a pilot.

I am glad I asked. You guys have talked me out of it. I guess I will just keep looking for a 150 sabreII or something more similar.

Just saw one in the classified which is what got me considering it. Also, I just kind of want to try a 7 cell(other than the one reserve ride I have had)

Is the diablo not a very good canopy in general?

A diablo is a one-of-a-kind type of canopy. It's also not made anymore, but some people do love them. The closest canopy I think is the stiletto, as that canopy also is famous for its roll action on toggles.

I called my diablo a "split personality triathlon" - sometimes it behaved like a square 7cell, ie very tame, then sometimes it would surprise me by acting all high performance all of a sudden, more divey and roll-y than my vengeance.
I couldn't get rid of my 120 fast enough as like I said it plain scared me a couple of times.

So good on you that you admit you might not be ready for a canopy like that :)
If you want to try out a 7cell, you could try a storm or a spectre, you never know you might like them.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

There is no comparison between a Diablo and a Sabre II. I have flown both. A Diablo is an extremely twitchy canopy. Reaching to stow the slider can put it into a dive before you touch the slider. Nor does it like to be in brakes. On deployment unless you are extremely stable, it will spin up on you and even when stable, with some regularity one side of the canopy will inflate before the other and try to spin up. When it spins up, unless you execute the right corrective action within a couple seconds, it goes into a spinning dive...and sometimes it does not wait. And your packing better be very good each time or it can spin up. I have a Diablo 170 loaded at 1.3 with over seven hundred jumps on it and 3 relines. She still teaches me something about herself every jump. I think you are making a big mistake if you buy any Diablo at your jump numbers.

I am glad I asked. You guys have talked me out of it. I guess I will just keep looking for a 150 sabreII or something more similar.

I'm glad you are making that decision. It really isn't a canopy for your experience level (or mine for that matter). A friend has a 170. He's chopped it twice from spiining line twists on opening. It's very sensitive to body position on opening. It's very unstable on the roll axis while the brakes are still set (once it starts turning, it will turn faster with no further input). It's very quick on the toggles and has a very steep glide (ground hungry).

Some people like them, that's their choice. But remember, it's called the Diablo (Devil), not the "cute and fuzzy bunny" - there's a reason for that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have 5-600 jumps on a diablo 88 and love how they fly. I always got nice swoops out of it. I would not recommend it for a beginner though. It is twitchy. But for someone experienced it's a lot of fun.

And triathlons and diablos can be swooped - come in with front risers and they will surf. Just need to treat the canopy like the 7 cell that is is and not a 9 cell which it isn't.

I've swwooped both as well and I would agree with Wendy wholeheartedly that the diablo is not a canopy for the inexperienced.

I jumped and 88 and was probably considerably higher loading than wendy and the diablo came in screaming and planned out really nicely.

Probably the most sensitive and responsive on toggles of any canopy I've jumped.

The Diablo is by far the best high performance 7 cell ever made. Some of these comments just make me laugh and I wonder if these people have actually jumped one.

I currently own 3 Diablos and it is my primary work canopy.
Never had a chop after thousands of jumps and they always open soft and on heading.

Easy to pack, easy to fly and a super flare. Not a swooping canopy but so what.

Never did understand why they stopped making them.
Onward and Upward!

I don't remember how many jumps I had when I bought my Diablo 150. I think about 300ish. It was a handful with similar weight to the OP. I wouldn't say it's in any way appropriate for the experience level.

I would definitely vote against the canopy as well. In fact I think I'll put mine up for sale. I still jump it but there are so many better 7 cell canopies available. The Diablo opens nicely, flares poorly and is generally bitchy when you let her out of the bag.

-Michael

Your WL would have been good information to give. A lightly loaded diablo might be fine, a mid to high loaded one would not be.

If you are jumping a 170 now..... Going down to a 150 might not be a great idea on such a different canopy. The reports that it is very fast on toggles is bang on and if you are not used to it, it will not be something you enjoy.

If you were looking at a 170, that might be a different subject.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Hello,

Thanks for the tips!

Adam

Why are you looking to down size?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just want something that can penetrate wind a little more. I am basically at a 1:1 and have been that way for 110 of my jumps. My first handful through AFP were on a 190. It will be nice to have a little bit more speed as well.

Also, I have a second container that needs a main. So if I downsize I can put my 170 in the extra container. I do not really want to build another 170 rig, I would prefer to downsize the new one.