earth2eric

international purchase

USPS and other shippers have online calculators that will get you a much more accurate answer since you can put in the actual origin and destination of your package, as well as its actual weight and dimensions. That will be much more accurate than a general question on a forum about "international shipping."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

maybe one day they can replace human interaction with calucalators, and then we never have to speak to each other!

Oh, sorry.

Let me try again.

If you go to a post office, or a FedEx Office, or a UPS Store (or the many other retail shipping locations out there), a HUMAN working behind the counter will look at your package and its destination, put it on a scale, and tell you how much it will cost to ship it using a variety of shipping methodologies.

Better? :P:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think the USPS has an advantage with international shipping. Something to do with clearing customs.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

maybe one day they can replace human interaction with calucalators, and then we never have to speak to each other!

Oh, sorry.

Let me try again.

If you go to a post office, or a FedEx Office, or a UPS Store (or the many other retail shipping locations out there), a HUMAN working behind the counter will look at your package and its destination, put it on a scale, and tell you how much it will cost to ship it using a variety of shipping methodologies.

Although

1. Any place not owned by the shipping company (FedEx / Kinko's is OK; Mail Boxes, Etc. is not) will charge a (sometimes substantial) markup for that.

2. Each country has its own paperwork requirements. You'll have an easier time making duplicate invoices or whatever if you look that up at home.

I think the USPS has an advantage with international shipping. Something to do with clearing customs.

The recipient usually does not have to pay customs brokerage fees with USPS, just the usual country imposed charges for duty, GST, etc.

Some of their international options also don't/didn't use dimensional weight (where a fluffy or well-packed 5 pound object costs as much to ship as a dense 20 pound package).

yes yes, these are the answers I was looking for! Dropzone always delivers. I tried doing the calculator on usps, and I got $280 from here in California to Bergen for a 5 lbs package with an 8 day delivery..I'm like "I think I may have done something wrong..." :S

yes yes, these are the answers I was looking for! Dropzone always delivers. I tried doing the calculator on usps, and I got $280 from here in California to Bergen for a 5 lbs package with an 8 day delivery..I'm like "I think I may have done something wrong..." :S

You probably asked for Global Express Guaranteed (as in guaranteed day of delivery) which does charge dimensional weight.

Express Mail® International to Norway for 5 pounds
Max. length 60", max. length plus girth combined 108"
3 - 5 business days
$59.30 (at post office)
$54.56 (online)

plus insurance.

Country information :
http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/mo_029.htm

Oh, sorry.

Let me try again.

Although

1. Any place not owned by the shipping company (FedEx / Kinko's is OK; Mail Boxes, Etc. is not) will charge a (sometimes substantial) markup for that.

2. Each country has its own paperwork requirements. You'll have an easier time making duplicate invoices or whatever if you look that up at home.

Mail boxes etc is owned by UPS now. they are called the UPS Store mostly. the few that are not, will be by year end or so.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante