Sean357

Recommended Leg Strap Tension

Hi guys, I have recently acquired a new container made for my measurements. the measurements were carefully taken with jeans and t-shirt on, I normally jump with this.

I received the container and when i tighten the leg straps as far as they go It doesn't feel as tight as my last rig. My last rig I could be very heavy handed with and tighten he leg straps to damn tight, i.e. the point where you cannot get a finger between the strap and my leg, I even used to have an issue with getting a single point restraint on in the plane it was so tight.

I guess I was just paranoid or enjoyed the secure feeling. The new container straps do up quite firm and it does not feel like I would fall out or anything serious, I am just curious what the recommended tension is.

Is it As tight as you can go just before cutting off circulation or tight enough so you can fit a finger between the strap and your leg?

Cheers Guys.

What Sparky said.

Per chance, are you a former military jumper who's crossed over?

If so... it doesn't have to be that tight.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

What Sparky said.

I never wore a military rig that tight. Plenty of others did though... :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What Sparky said.

Thats me for sure. I remember being told to have them super tight so you did not get anything important slipping under them. I suppose it made me paranoid because i keep mine much tighter than my friends.

ive always assumed they did not take the importance of it being tight as serious as me. your comment makes me think maybe i am being overly cautious.

Why does it not have to be as tight as in the military? i assume it has to do with either the rigging is different, i dont remember it was 20yrs ago. Or the Sgt's just over emphasized the importance so we listened.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

"

... Why does it not have to be as tight as in the military? I assume it has to do with either the rigging is different, I don't remember it was 20 years ago. Or the Sgt's just over emphasized the importance so we listened.

"

What?
A sgt. over-emphaising a point???
Surely you jest!

Seriously, most military training is about screening .. to decide who is tough enough for combat.

For example, the Canadian Army Basic Parachutist (static-line) Course required two week of push-ups and two days of jumping.
Guess which skill I learned more about?
Guess why my (parade uniform) jacket never fit properly afterwards?
Hah!
Hah!

If you actually learn anything (at a military school), it is often an awkward by-product. I hate to remember how many times I have arrived at a squadron and been told to forget everything you heard at the school", because "We don't it that way at the squadron."
Hah!
Hah!