enjjpt14

Recon Goggles

What do you think about using recon goggles (the ones Jeb uses for WS BASE) for skydiving? A friend of mine (with 45 jumps) is considering buying a pair of these instead of a standard altimeter. I told him it would be a bad idea at such low jump numbers. I think they would, at the very least, be an unnecessary distraction for low experience jumpers. My opinion met with a lot of resistance from various people though, so I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks.

Recon goggles: http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/mod

For once, good advice from a newbie. Your spot on. Before adding anything that might distract or get in the way you should first be a very good skydiver. In addition none of these googles are particularly good for skydiving, IMHO.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hmm, those look pretty innovative! Not completely necessary but interesting nonetheless.

Reminds me of the google glasses that Google is prototyping - heads-up display in a pair of glasses. Probably the way of the not too distance future given it combines the capability of a digital altimeter with the alert capability of a heads up display.

Not cheap but very cool.

here's your answer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yefvQF05wxs&feature=youtu.be

When they do come out with skydiving specific Recon goggles, would they be appropriate for everyone or would a skydiver need to reach a certain level of experience before using them (kind of like jumping a camera)? If there is some level of experience necessary to safely use these goggles, what would be a practical minimum? 50 jumps? 100, 200, 1000 jumps (assuming we use jump numbers to quantify experience)?

i have a set of these goggles for snowboarding. they work great on the hill because they have the time and clear view of sky to find signal. i used them on one jump and they were unable to lock on to satalites in the plane because clear view of sky was impossible to maintain or achieve at all on the climb. however the altimiter in them worked the entire time (heigh above sea level) i will try them on my next cross country jump to see if the extra time under canopy is enough for them to work and be able to display iformation like speed and track. I WOULD NOT BUY THESE FOR ONLY SKYDIVING. it would be a bit of a waste.
Skydiving without a parachute is easy, its skydiving twice without a parachute that is extremely difficult