JCB1074

Rigs, Canopy Advice

I am starting my pursuit of my A license and want to buy my own rig. I am 5'-9" 205, (i Know, Beer Belly), i am looking to buy used first to grow and learn on. What size rig should i look at and what canopy size would be a good starter?

More information is needed.

How many jumps have you done? Where do you jump? What size canopies have your instructors recommended?

If you haven't jumped yet, stop worrying about buying a rig right now. You won't be allowed to jump it until you have completed your student jumps (student gear is different from sport gear), and you'll be much happier with your gear choice if you can actually jump similar gear before you buy. If you must spend money on skydiving equipment right now, buy a pair of goggles, a logbook and maybe a Protec helmet.

As others have said, wait until you get your license and get 25-50 more jumps under your belt before you worry about buying a rig. One reason is that the DZ where you do your training will most likely not let you use your own gear until you have your A license because student rigs have some additional features sport rigs don't. Another reason to wait is that you'll most likely downsize several canopy sizes during your training and shortly after you get your license.

As others have said, wait until you get your license and get 25-50 more jumps under your belt before you worry about buying a rig. One reason is that the DZ where you do your training will most likely not let you use your own gear until you have your A license because student rigs have some additional features sport rigs don't. Another reason to wait is that you'll most likely downsize several canopy sizes during your training and shortly after you get your license.

...and then when you DO get ready ~buy a Racer! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

What about my own Altimeter? Was looking at the Altimaster Galaxy

What sort of mount would you use? Hand or wrist? What if the DZ instructors are used to using the other on their students.

The DZ will provide you with all the gear you need to jump. Take advantage of it, and get to 'test' out the gear they use. Maybe you find their choices work well for you, or maybe you find that you might prefer a different sytle of one thing or the other. Then, when you go to purchase that item for yourself, you have a much better idea of what will work the best for you.

At this point, you're literally just guessing what you think you're going to like. You're going to pay for gear rental, it's included in the price of all your student jumps, get your money's worth out of it, use there stuff, and then go from there. You're going to learn a TON about skydiving, gear, and yourself over the course of the first 20 jumps, revisit the issue then, and see what you come up with at that time.

One reason is that the DZ where you do your training will most likely not let you use your own gear until you have your A license because student rigs have some additional features sport rigs don't

Sorry newbie but what are the additional features that student gear has that sports gear does not?

One reason is that the DZ where you do your training will most likely not let you use your own gear until you have your A license because student rigs have some additional features sport rigs don't

Sorry newbie but what are the additional features that student gear has that sports gear does not?

While it's technically possible to have a sport rig that meets student standards, most don't.

1) In the U.S. (and probably many other countries) AADs are required for students. They're not required for sport jumpers (though some DZs do require them, or require them up to a certain jump number)

1A) Student AADs function differently than sport AADs (one way to have a sport rig function like a student rig would be to buy an AAD - like the Vigil - that has multiple modes).

2) Student rigs tend to have larger canopies of more docile design than sport rigs. Again, it's very possible to have a sport rig that would meet student wingloading, size, and canopy design requirements, but most sport rigs won't match up.

3) For two-instructor AFF jumps, the student rig is modified so that either instructor can pull for the student.

Those are the primary differences I'm thinking of right now; there may be others that aren't coming to mind.

It's possible, of course, to have a sport rig meet all those standards - I actually started jumping my own gear before I had my A license, but I also had a large docile canopy (Spectre) in the rig, and a Vigil AAD that we could set to student mode till I had my A.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Looking back I wish I had bought a digital altimeter. I like my Alti-2 Galaxy and I like that I went with the glow-in-the-dark face but I feel like I might really like a digital a lot better.

The glow face is cool on sunset loads where it's just dark enough that it glows a little and it's cool that I never have to replace batteries. I just think the 150 I spent on it could've gone towards a Neptune or something.

Now I jump with an Optima2 dyter and it's a good combo with the analog altimeter. Just thought I'd share my experience

...Don't Get Elimated!!

Looking back I wish I had bought a digital altimeter. I like my Alti-2 Galaxy and I like that I went with the glow-in-the-dark face but I feel like I might really like a digital a lot better.

The glow face is cool on sunset loads where it's just dark enough that it glows a little and it's cool that I never have to replace batteries. I just think the 150 I spent on it could've gone towards a Neptune or something.

Buying a used altimeter makes a lot of sense. Galaxy altis are commonly available for $100, and sold again later for that price (especially with the easily replaceable $8 lens) if someone decides later a digital is the way they want to go. Even used digital altis can be bought and easily resold at the right price.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Always nice to have an analog backup, though. My Altitrack is on its way to L&B for service, but fortunately I've got two Galaxy altimeters in my gearbag that I can use till I get it back (both of which I bought used for $100 and $75 respectively). I always have a backup, and I always have a spare to lend out to someone if needed.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

We started keeping a spare analog alti in the plane at my DZ plus a spare pair of goggles just in case there's reason for someone to need them.

Obviously an alti can still go out during a jump and the jumper has to make educated guesses about altitudes so it's not a perfect system but it certainly can't hurt.

Some people just aren't gonna wear an extra altimeter because they have a dyter and whatever, whatever...

...Don't Get Elimated!!