uberchris

shock cord PC

ok i have tried the search function for the last 10 minutes to no avail on my particular question............

i have a shock cord PC on my rig.

i have a skyflyer 1 wingsuit (old school i know)

could there potentially be any type of problem with towing my PC during a wingsuit deployment? i mean i know that the skyflyer is no apache, and probably doesnt get towards the very low end of airspeeds as far as its flight characteristics go, but this is something ive definitely been thinking about.

my pilot chute is ZP, and my bridle is standard length
cheers
gravity brings me down.........

Short answer....Yes, this is a problem, do not use a bungee PC with a wingsuit. Simple solution is to change to a kill line PC or simply un-do the bungee from the PC making your PC non collapsible.

See the FAQ in the wingsuit forum and or use the search term "bungee" for more background info.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

As mentioned above, don't use a bungee with a wingsuit. Disconnect it, or better yet, just buy a kill-line PC.

On another note, are you jumpnumbers correct? I've owned and flown a number of old(er)-skool wingsuits, and I found the skyflyer 1 by far the most difficult to fly. It is very easy to go unstable with it, due to the narrow leg wing. Flat spins might not be out of the question. It's not a suit I'd recommend to a new wingsuit flyer.

I sold mine and got a skyflyer 3 instead, which feels much more balanced and stable.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

im planning on selling it and probably getting a phantom 3............

and yes, my first flight on the skyflyer kicked the shit out of me, i was sideswiping and was all over the place like a maniac right into severe line twists (Raven IV as a main so it was manageable).............scared the shit out of me and i went home for the day.

the next 9 jumps on it were good. i found that when i was feeling a bit out of control i curled my knees then went back into full flight and it was fine. but still, i dont like the cable routing system and would rather get a phoenix fly

and yes, my jump numbers are correct, i know as far as lodi goes they want me to get up to 200 jumps and take a class with one of the experienced birds up there, which im definitely gonna do. i had previously been mentored by my buddy who was a birdman instructor and i got about 5 flights on a birdman classic before the skyflyer
gravity brings me down.........

There are 2 types of people in skydiving, those that listen and those that don't. Right now your story sounds like you are on the DGIT path, outdated equipment (bungee PC) and equipment above your experience level ( SF1 and less than 200 jumps).

Your buddy did you no favors by putting you in a suit before you had 200 jumps and you aren't doing yourself any favors by rushing into suits beyond your current skill level. Before you get bent out of shape and tell me about your mad skillz and why you're not the average guy, let me say that there are many that came before you on the same path you are on and they are either dead and or rolling around in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. There is no rush, take your time and learn to crawl, then walk and then run.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There is no rush, take your time and learn to crawl, then walk and then run.

What a unique concept.

I think bungee PC’s get a bad rap. Jumper them for 20+ years without a problem.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And how many of those jumps in 20 years have been with a wingsuit and a bungee PC? They have a bad rap for a reason. If there wasn't a downside to them they would be an industry standard still, but that isn't the case.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

And how many of those jumps in 20 years have been with a wingsuit and a bungee PC? They have a bad rap for a reason. If there wasn't a downside to them they would be an industry standard still, but that isn't the case.

One :P And you are right, it is a poor choice for a wing suit jump. But many who will say this can't tell you why.

There are a lot of things in the sport that have bad raps without a good reason. Skydivers accept something they hear as fact and pass it on. Before you know it the 45 degree exit is the only way to figure separation.

I am sure you understand what I am saying but way too many haven’t seen the ball since kick off.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

But many who will say this can't tell you why.

Very true, and that's because most have never seen let alone used a bungee PC.:D

I am sure you understand what I am saying but way too many haven’t seen the ball since kick off.

Yes, I do. But I think many of them aren't even looking for the ball, they are busy looking at something shiny on the ground in front of them.;)

Short down and dirty history lesson for everyone: Don't use a a bungee PC/ Shock cord PC for wingsuiting. Bungee PCs require a specific amount of drag force be applied to them for them to open and work as designed. This means extend the bungee so the PC can inflate and then begin the deployment process. With the low speeds obtained, even by first time wingsuit students, it is very unlikely that there will be enough force to fully extend and open the bungee pc. This has resulted in very long PC hesitations and or bridle entanglements/knotting to occur while the PC bounces around behind the wingsuiter and or complete failure to deploy the main parachute. All of which typically result in a reserve ride. Hence their not being recommended for use on wingsuit jumps.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING