ainulindale

BASE gear skydiving

Hi, I have 75 skydives and I recently sold my rig. My primary goal is to start BASE jumping. I realize that I'm far off from that goal, but I wanted some advice from those far more knowledgeable than myself. I've been considering buying a Seven and Pedigree Pro BASE rig hoping that I can use a chest reserve to use this rig for skydiving while I increase my skydiving experience before I start BASE jumping and save some money along the way. The BASE rig is two pin and acceptable for opening at terminal speeds. I've been advised by fellow BASE jumpers to jump my BASE rig before using it on an actual BASE jump--I feel the experience will only help me to understand my rig before actually taking the long step into BASE jumping. Could someone far more experienced than me advise me as to whether or not this is a reasonable option or not. Is there a better option for someone in my situation?

Where are you located? I'm not going to assume you are located within the USA (dont you just hate that when people on internet forums assume that?:D), but if you are, then you must use a harness/container and reserve with a TSO certification. The main does not have to have a TSO (so you can jump your BASE canopy but not your BASE container).

This is a US FAA rule, so other countries may have different rules.

No need to continue skidiving. Based on your post, you have enough knowledge about gear. Go a head and take the leap. What is the worst that can happen?

Don't forget the GoPro. If its not on film, it did not happen.

You should post on the Beginners Forum on basejumper.com. They will be more than kind and helpful to your questions.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

I'd strongly recommend the following progression:

1) Old skydiving rig with old large F111 main. Will teach you a lot about BASE landings and will be super cheap You'll likely also learn a lot about rigging when you try to get it repacked - and in BASE knowing a lot about rigging is pretty important.

2) BASE canopy in that rig. You'll learn how to fly your BASE canopy in a skydiving environment.

3) Same system off a largish span, like Twin Falls or NRGB. (Get some coaching first.)

4) BASE rig with BASE canopy.

I'd strongly recommend the following progression:

1) Old skydiving rig with old large F111 main. Will teach you a lot about BASE landings and will be super cheap You'll likely also learn a lot about rigging when you try to get it repacked - and in BASE knowing a lot about rigging is pretty important.

2) BASE canopy in that rig. You'll learn how to fly your BASE canopy in a skydiving environment.

3) Same system off a largish span, like Twin Falls or NRGB. (Get some coaching first.)

4) BASE rig with BASE canopy.

+1

I would only add that, for Step 3, lose the D-bag and skydiving pilot chute and go with the tailpocket and BASE p/c that probably came with the BASE canopy you acquired at Step 2.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

alright well im SURE that if you posted this on the beginners forum on BJ.com, you have been violently attacked (and for good reason) so now you are asking here................

i wont be a hipocrate, because after my first BASE trip i sold my skyrig and bought BASE gear, but i wish i hadnt. i would have rather sold my brand new skyrig, and gotten a used, old main container and a raven IV or similar 7 cell F-111 canopy, this way not only could you still skydive and gain the important experience, but youd then have a bigboy container that you could always put a BASE canopy into at any point and not be facing the situation you face now..........

id sell the BASE rig (or dont purchase it if you havent yet) and get the aboved mentioned skydive container.

you can ALWAYS find smoking deals on a used mojo or ace BASE canopy and a used 2-pin container for pretty cheap thats more than airworthy..........a rig like that will be quite suitable until you start getting comfortable in the BASE environment
gravity brings me down.........

Here is the problem - the math does not work out.

If you want to jump more than the simplest BASE sites, you will want a lot more jumps than the 75 you have to acquire the canopy landing/accuracy/comfort skills. Some of the best BASE jumps have very tricky landings.

A BASE canopy lasts 300-500 jumps before it starts getting worn out and BASE jumpers replace the canopy with something that has more lift for those tricky landings... Or more glide to get over the trees to the nice open field. Older canopies lose glide and lift... They are not skydiving canopies, they wear out quicker...

So, say you want 400 good skydives before you do some of the harder BASE jumps.... Your BASE gear (canopy) will be worn out before you even do your first technical BASE jump if you use it on 325 skydives before your first BASE.

Of course, you could do those technical jumps prior to 400 jumps, you just increase your risk of getting seriously hurt. Or, you could do the technical jumps on a worn out canopy, and again injury rate would go up. You can move these jump numbers around to your risk/reward tolerance levels, but, I don't see the math working out well...

Buy a cheap skydiving rig, keep jumping, and when you are ready to BASE, you will be able to jump a nice new (or nice used) BASE rig that is not worn out...