ChasingBlueSky

Where Spam Comes From

http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

Clip from the article:
In the summer of 2002, CDT embarked on a project to attempt to determine the source of spam. To do so, we set up hundreds of different e-mail addresses, used them for a single purpose, and then waited six months to see what kind of mail those addresses were receiving. It should come as no surprise to most e-mail users that many of the addresses CDT created for this study attracted spam, but it is very interesting to see the different ways that e-mail addresses attracted spam -- and the different volumes -- depending on where the e-mail addresses were used.

The results offer Internet users insights about what online behavior results in the most spam. The results also debunk some of the myths about spam.

I have a laugh whenever I see that doc. It almost manages to conceal the obvious. If you leave your e-mail address laying around in plain text for everyone and their pet elephant to read you're gonna get spam. End of story...:)
In my current job ( systems and network manager for a tier one ISP in OZ. ) dealing with spam is a MAJOR pain. I was gonna post a major dummy-spit on the subject but I'd only be preaching to the choir anyway...:)
Ooroo
Mark F...
Today is Setting Orange, the 32nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3169

And I always thought the Spam Fairy brought it...:D

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I thought it came from pigs.

And many other animal parts they don't want you to know about.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

It tokk me a while to figure it out, but I noticed the amount of SPAM I get increased everytime I clicked on remove me from your mailing list in an e-mail. Not only did I continue getting spam from whoever I sent the request to, but I got more. I figure the remove me tactic is just a way to put my e-mail address on more lists.

Blue Skies
Steve
Ok, so it's pink, but I'm secure in my manhood, and I still look cool coming in under it!

It tokk me a while to figure it out, but I noticed the amount of SPAM I get increased everytime I clicked on remove me from your mailing list in an e-mail. Not only did I continue getting spam from whoever I sent the request to, but I got more. I figure the remove me tactic is just a way to put my e-mail address on more lists.

That, and it lets them know that they reached someone at that (your) address.

Anyone know a way to filter out any spam with Chinese/Korean/Japanese characters? Yahoo catches most but not all of it. I hate spammers.

cold beers to all,

Vinny
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Just of interest here.

I have an MSN account that I've never used. I just needed the account for a dialup service. It wasn't a week before my inbox was regularly filled with over 30 Spam messages. Now, if I never used that address, never registered on a site with it, and never told any friends about it... where'd the spam come from??? I thought I asked MSN not to share my address with any one of their "partners".

Interesting.
Oh, hello again!

I asked Sangiro what we could do to make our profile addresses harder to detect by the web crawlers. The idea suggested in the article didn't work because it was seen as an invalid address. HH said it has to have the "@" symbol in it, and suggested a format like this: skymama_@T_dropzone_DOT_com.

If you can't figure it out, just pm me instead. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Same thing happened while I was using AOL once upon a time.

Created an account, went to my marketing preferences, clicked "no" on everything. Logged off. Was logged onto the account no more than 10 minutes, and forgot that I even had it. Logged on 2 months later to that account and found it had over 500 spams......

SPAM! It's pink and it's oval
SPAM! I buy it at the Mobil
SPAM! It's made in Chernobyl
SPAM!

A great song by Save Ferris; really captures the essence of the stuff.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think MSN sells that info. IMO

Not sure but I think some of these places (MSN, AOL, Yahoo, etc.) also harvest address of outgoing mail addresses and sell them off too.

Also, just think about how many millions of subscribers each of those services has. Spammers could get hundreds of thousands (at least) good email address by just trying dictionary words with numbers on the end and eliminating the bounces.

I think MSN sells that info. IMO

Well don't feel bad Qwest sells your phone number if you are one of their customers. I lived here about a week and my phone rang constantly with telemarketers. :S Thank god for the no call list. Now if only I could get one of those for my email address. B|

btw....I hide my address with [email protected]
Fly it like you stole it!

More importantly than where it comes from....Is Spam Organic??

Check this out...this guy did some funny stuff with spam versus other foods... :D

http://www.fright.com/spam/spamcam.html

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!