Jessica

Boy blinded by potato gun

Those darn Texans. :P

Actually, it's a sad story and I hate hearing about stuff like that. Poor guy. I hope someone else can avoid something like this, by learning from this guy. [:/]

Poor guy? what about the friggin frog? they are called potato guns for a reason.. no need to hurt animals.

I agree with Kevin - I see no lamentation for the amphib here . . what the hell?! Darwin's mentally challenged little brother looks down the barrell of a misfired weapon and gets off easy, but I'm betting that the frog's kin were none too pleased with the results.

perhaps he got what he deserved

CZ

This is why the BHL's should not make it a crime to teach kids how firearms work and how to handle them. At age 7, I would not have looked down the barrel of a hangfired (not misfired, as the article says) anything, much less at 17. Oh well.

While keeping people ignorant makes them easier to control, this is one of the situations where I think it did not serve the victim well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has nothing to do with firearm knowledge. Sadly, this is just a severe failing in general common sense.

jfields is right. If you wanna know what happens when you peer down the barrel of a hang-fired weapon, you can get all the info you need from watching Bugs Bunny/ Road Runner cartoons!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>>you can get all the info you need from watching Bugs Bunny/ Road Runner cartoons! <<

It always seems that both Elmer and the coyote are never permanently injured, minimizing the importance of the lesson.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

jfields is right.

I might have to buy beer for that. :P
Speedy your incorrect. Jfields is never right. *sigh* :P Never ever agree with Justin it just encourages him to post more. Well to think about that some. When we disagree with him he still posts... hmm oh never mind..

I'm building a Spud Gun!! http://www.spudtech.com with a rifled barrel!! muahahahaaaB| Sure as hell not going to shoot frogs from it :( poor froggies :(

I'm sorry this kid is maimed for life. I do think though there was probably nothing that could have saved him. If he's ignorant enough to look down the barrel of a loaded SpudLauncher. I will have to agree with Darwin on this one.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I'm building a Spud Gun!! http://www.spudtech.com with a rifled barrel!!

Interesting...how will you cause the potato to expand to take advantage of the rifling? Maybe if you hollow out the potato slug from the bottom the gasses will fill it and cause it to expand like a mini-ball? B|

When you load the potato your shoving it into the barrel. Creating a potato slug. Your not shooting a potato persay, just a slug made from loading the launcher. So it should conform to the riflings as it's crammed down the barrel.

http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=8

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Nahh...won't work....it needs to expand and put pressure on the sides in order to take advantage of the rifling. If you can jam it straight down without twisting it, propelling it out at a high rate of speed is going to push it straight out without inducing a twist.

The reason muzzle loaded rifles work is because the bullets expand and grip the rifling when they travel down the length of the barrel.

If you figure out how to make it expand...here's how to figure out the number of twists for optimum accuracy and distance:

T=(150 x D)/R

where:
T is the twist required (number of inches for one revolution),
D is the bullet diameter (in inches)
R is the bullet length to diameter ratio, (length divided by diameter)

So a 2" x 3" potato slug needs one full twist every 200".

I'd just stick with the potato scatter gun, it's easier :P

Everyone knows that once someone takes an NRA-sponsored safety course, nothing can ever go wrong.

Point conceded. However, if he's dumb enough that he would do this without self preservation stepping in, maybe a BASIC safety course with easily remembered rules might've stopped him. Remember, it's "a severe failing in general common sense." So maybe a helping hand along the way would've been good.

Or you can subscribe to Darwin like me. Pain is the best teacher I've ever had, that's for sure.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

This is why the BHL's should not make it a crime to teach kids how firearms work and how to handle them. While keeping people ignorant makes them easier to control, this is one of the situations where I think it did not serve the victim well.

I think proper firearms training is a good thing. I disagree that you need an UZI, Kalishnikov or AR15 to learn it.

Peter

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I think proper firearms training is a good thing.

Me too....but I don't think you even need that to know better than look down the barrel of a loaded weapon, even if the projectile is a frog.

I disagree that you need an UZI, Kalishnikov or AR15 to learn it.

You don't need one of them for proper training. But it's more fun that way :)

I have a good friend who did something similar when he was in high school. Let's not forget just how rudimentary the survival mechanisms of some teenaged boys (and girls) is.

My friend was termporarily blinded, but not permanently. In his case, the cotton with vinegar and baking soda that he was using to clean his trombone wasn't coming up. Well, until it did real quick.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)