Spills

Altimaster mounting on Bonehead mudflap mount

After searching the forums and boneheads site I could not find ways that people have mounted their Altimaster Galaxy to Bonehead's mud flap altimeter mount.
http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/m8/503--mud-flap-altimeter-mount.html

I called Bonehead and they said they do not give instructions on how to mount the altimeters because they do not wish to be responsible for one falling off.

Here is how I attached mine.

1)Remove wrist strap.

2)Tape Alti-2 back plate to mud flap mount as a template.

3)Drill holes in the mud flap mount.

4)Use the existing screws with thread lock to attach Altimaser Galaxy to mud flap mount.

Ive attached some pics. Reply with thoughts or other mounting options.

I called Bonehead and they said they do not give instructions on how to mount the altimeters because they do not wish to be responsible for one falling off.

That sounds screwed-up to me.

If users don't have instructions, and just go about installing it any which way they can conjure up, the altimeter is MORE likely to fall off. The best way to avoid that is to provide clear instructions on the proper way to mount it.

Unless, that is, that even when mounted properly it can still come off. And in that case, it indicates a design flaw, and they shouldn't be marketing it.

I just mounted mine last weekend.

I used a little bit longer screws I found at Ace Hardware,
and used the hand strap plate as a backing (and as a drilling template), as the composite is pretty soft, shouldn't be an issue, but I didn't want to take any chances ($1.00 in hardware < $150 altimeter) ;)

fwiw, I found that the reuse of the OEM hardware w/o the strap plate only had a couple threads grip in the altimeter. more would be safer/secure

pics of my installation below.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930