smoothflyin

Getting scratches off of helmet lens

hey guys,

I've had a factory diver since I started into the sport, and most of that time have jumped it without the plastic lens/face shield attached.

I am getting ready for the AFF instructor course and was planning to put it back on to ward off the spinning legs / feet / arms that generally go along with the AFFI course, but the lens has some pretty nasty scratches on it. Any way to get those scratches out? or better to just buy a whole new one from skysystems?

Thanks!

Depending on how bad it's scratched, you may be able to polish the scratches out.

Even though it's meant for metal, Simichrome works reasonably well on clear plastic.
Try it way off to one side first to see how it works.

Toothpaste also works fairly well.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You don't really need the lens in the helmet to protect yourself from feet/knees/elbows of a spinner, matter of fact, I really doubt they'd provide much real protection anyways.

The chin/jaw/forehead is the most important part to cover, and those are already covered with a factory diver.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9isq7xmNFc Watch that video, lens cracks right in half on the jump... Not something I want happening to me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message