FreefallSnoopy

Jumpsuit questions

Hey y'all,

I've just gotten into skydiving, and am stuck working overseas for a few months. Pretty much all of my gear was put on order before I left (A badass wings rig and pilot 210 zpx) and since all I need is a jumpsuit I was gonna measure up and order it so I have my full kit by the time I get back to the states to start jumping again. My biggest issue is that I'm 6'7" and 215 pounds. Thus whenever I've jumped with others, I am always much faster falling than them. So looking around at different suits I want to get something that will offer the drag I need, but isn't solely suited for belly flying. No doubt I'll do plenty stomach to earth falling but sooner than later I'll start wanting to sitfly and do more advanced stuff and want something I can transition to that with.

The 2 companies I've looked at and at least liked their styles are kurupee and vertical. I was thinking of possibly ordering 2 (I'm stuck on a ship, so I've got extra cash saved up) one a medium cut and one a loose cut.

Any thought's from the skygods would be appreciated.

Also, I know that canopy is smaller for me, and I appreciate any concern given, but please stay on topic :ph34r:

Several issues raised in your post:

You will need two jumpsuits. One for belly flying and one for freeflying. Don't try to get one to do both, esp. since you said you had some cash saved up.

Make sure you get measured appropriately. There are very specific instructions on each suit maker's website. They need to be followed. If at all possible I would get somebody who was used to measuring for jumpsuits. Fit matters.

Drag--call the manufacturers and talk to them about your height, weight, and concerns about fall rate. They are experts at it and can talk you through the options. You are not light, but you are quite tall, so I bet you don't need to be slowed down as much as you think. Again, they can help you make appropriate decisions.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to give the manufacturers a call before I put in an order.

Any advice on which companies to go for? I've read through some of the gear reviews and it all is so opinion based that it seems that I should just pick one that has the design I like and go for it.

http://www.verticalsuits.com/suits/zsuit.html

This company has yet to be reviewed last time I checked, any thoughts?

Thanks again

One issue to consider is patience. At 215lbs, you're not light, but at 6'7" you should have a LOT of range. It will take time to learn to fly your body. I'm 6'1" and 200lbs and although faster than some, I can fall with a wide range of jumpers because I'm tall and am learning to use that length.
Jumpsuits are a valuable tool! However, you may find yourself buying a different one as you gain more body control.
Enjoy:)

Life expands or contracts in proportion to one's courage. ~Anais Nin

I have had two of their suits one tunnel suit and their Inverted Hybrid freefly suit. I have been very happy with Vertical suits. Excellant quality and workmanship. They last! I would recommend them ot anyone and everyone.

My biggest issue is that I'm 6'7" and 215 pounds. Thus whenever I've jumped with others, I am always much faster falling than them.

Some bullet items.

At 6'6" and 235-250, using a flitesuit bodysuit for RW with a 10 inch wing or a TonySuit with a 9 inch wing for RW could vary my fall rate from 86 MPH to 126 MPH.

At 6'7" 215 you will have no problems with fall rate issues over time. Having said that, there are couple of things to consider while overseas, 1) will you remain 215#, and 2) can you do some reverse planning to order your suit with the suit delivery date being a week before your arrival date?

You should take a picture of yourself against something relative and write the manufacturer a note explaining your concerns. I can assure you they have both the knowledge and expertise to build you a suit that will compensate your fall rate accordingly. Just don't bullshit them.

It will take a while to really learn how to fly well in RW and it will make you that much better at FF'ing. Once you decide you'd like to try FF'ing, you really can learn how to FF in a pair of BDU pants and floppy shirt. By then, you will have had enough time at the DZ to figure out which FF suit works best for you and which is then the most cool.

I am endorsing both Flitesuit and Tonysuits because I have years of experience with them. I'm sorry that I don't know much about "vertical" or "kurupee" to form an opinion.

Good luck.

EDIT: Spelling.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My body weight stays fairly level, I'm not quite 25 yet and don't expect my metabolism to just go to hell in the next few years. Plus I tend to watch what I eat, so my body should stay in the 215-225 range pretty well. Also, ordering in time for delivery shouldn't be too much of an issue, unless the company is backed up at the time, then it won't make much matter.

Most companies look like they have tight, medium, and loose cuts. So between being told I will have range and then that I should get something with wings, I'm lost still. Should I get something that doesn't quite slow me down that much so I learn, or get something that does so I dont get frustrated? There's also the question of the fabric, seeing as some are designed to slow down fall rates, and then add that to the cut type, you can see why I'm so baffled haha.

I've sent off some emails to companies explaining my size and concerns and will take it plus this advice from here.

Glad to see there's other tall jumpers out there. Thought I was the only one hitting my head in the plane all the time

Don't get wings.

6'7 and 215 is not extreme - you're big, you'll fall quick if you want to, but jumpsuits with special measures for fall rate are for people with fairly unusual characteristics. Without having met you or seen you fly, I suspect this doesn't include you.

When you get used to flying you will, as people have said, have a lot of range. You'll be able to keep up with the tanks, and (given a reasonably draggy material) stay with the slower folks without resorting to trickery..

J
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Most companies look like they have tight, medium, and loose cuts. So between being told I will have range and then that I should get something with wings, I'm lost still. Should I get something that doesn't quite slow me down that much so I learn, or get something that does so I dont get frustrated? There's also the question of the fabric, seeing as some are designed to slow down fall rates, and then add that to the cut type, you can see why I'm so baffled haha.

I've sent off some emails to companies explaining my size and concerns and will take it plus this advice from here.

Please communicate our discussion to any of the manufacturers and let them help you with the details regarding; tight, medium, loose cuts and fabric.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I bought a vertical suit, love it. Medium cut inverted style. It's tight, and you fall fast, but like many say on this silly forum, less flappy means you learn to fly your body much better. I can keep up with a reasonable difference in weight on jumps (tho 100 pound chicks float way too much for me and I end up stretched all the way out to try and stay up lol) I also happened upon a Bev suit at the DZ that just ironically fit me. I'd say as another rookie to another, stay away from super loose, get measured and just get what you like and can afford