gilead1

Suunto Ambit for skydiving

Yes you can!!!
you can customise the exercise screens and select what info you want to display.
you can select as many screens as you want for every exercise mode.
for instance you can navigate, see the altitude and the heart rate at the same time.

I'll pots a pic. later

Enjoy
Gilead

Jeez, the old Mark 1 eyeball is becoming more and more redundant. Its amazing how we managed for all those years......

Are they going to build in a proximity warning system to tell you about the impending mid air collision you didn't see coming because you were watching TV at the time?.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Jeez, the old Mark 1 eyeball is becoming more and more redundant. Its amazing how we managed for all those years......

"Back in my day.... blah blah blah, we jumped with umbrellas, these fancy parachutes you kids use are for wussies... blah blah blah".

Obviously the GPS option is more for in-plane and under canopy use. Why do you dinosaurs feel the need to come out of extinction to wag your finger at others. Stay in your cave T-Rex, simmer down. It's a discussion forum.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

"Back in my day.... blah blah blah, we jumped with umbrellas, these fancy parachutes you kids use are for wussies... blah blah blah".

Obviously the GPS option is more for in-plane and under canopy use. Why do you dinosaurs feel the need to come out of extinction to wag your finger at others. Stay in your cave T-Rex, simmer down. It's a discussion forum.

We do it just to piss you off and it seems to be working. B|

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Firstly, it is still my day, and my sky, just as much as yours.

As I pointed out, us old farts have seen ,adopted and adapted to more changes in skydiving than you can shake a stick at.

And as for your second point, I fail to see the point of everyone having to have a GPS in the plane. The pilot usually has the spot programmed into his on board GPS.

And why would you need a GPS under canopy?. You know (well I would hope so) that you are exiting within a mile or so of the DZ. Are you going to get lost or something?. Its not like you are jumping into uncharted territory, or a new country, or the Gobi desert or the white wastes of Antarctica.

And no, I'd prefer NOT to be run over by some tool busy looking at his gadgets under canopy rather than keeping his eyes out for other traffic in the pattern.

One day you'll be on jumprun when they turn the satellites off, and you'll end up riding down in the plane because its too dangerous to jump without your GPS.

Give me a break.

Edited to add.

I'm getting a bit sick of know nothing whizz kids telling all the old farts to shut up. We've been at the forefront (and sttill are) of developing the systems you enjoy today.

You need to earn the right before you start slagging off the people with experience. They've done stuff you can only dream about.

We dinosaurs didn't become dinosaurs by being stupid.

Technology is all well and good, its our generation that developed and invented most of it, but there is a point where over reliance on technology begins to compromise safety, and through our long experience, we know when its time to pipe up and sound a few warnings. Surprisingly enough, this may even benefit you....

And yes its a discussion forum. Take your own advice and contribute something useful, rather than putting down others.

Exactly what did your diatribe contribute to "Suunto Ambit for Skydiving"? Go start a thread in bonfire called "waa waa waa nobody ever listens to me even though I invented skydiving". In that thread, you have every right to hop onto your pulpit and lament the future of skydiving in the ungrateful hands of thankless pukes like me. In this thread you are doing nothing but embarrassing yourself by changing the subject completely.

In all actuality, you sir are the one putting down others with your snarky sarcasm and cynical response.

I don't even know the OP and I sure as hell don't jump a GPS, but I was interested enough in the topic to read and learn. I didn't come on here and flame a guy for his choice in technology while skydiving. That's rude my friend, deal with it.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

Exactly what did your diatribe contribute to "Suunto Ambit for Skydiving"? Go start a thread in bonfire called "waa waa waa nobody ever listens to me even though I invented skydiving". In that thread, you have every right to hop onto your pulpit and lament the future of skydiving in the ungrateful hands of thankless pukes like me. In this thread you are doing nothing but embarrassing yourself by changing the subject completely.

In all actuality, you sir are the one putting down others with your snarky sarcasm and cynical response.

I don't even know the OP and I sure as hell don't jump a GPS, but I was interested enough in the topic to read and learn. I didn't come on here and flame a guy for his choice in technology while skydiving. That's rude my friend, deal with it.

Fair enough.

Now a serious question. Can you give me some good reasons why a GPS is necessary for skydiving?. There is one used for the pilot for spotting, no problem with that. I'd like some other reasons why you'd need one.

Because here is one reason why not.

With a number of fatalities over the last few years involving canopy collisions, do you really think its a good idea to be checking waypoints on a GPS under canopy, rather than keeping your eyes skinned for other traffic in the sky?.

Is it really a necessity?.

I use a GPS, but its for things like marking good fishing spots out in the ocean, or perhaps when hunting or trail bike riding.

Some people who can't read a map need one in their car. Fine.

I fail to see how carrying a GPS contributes to a safer skydive, and something that compromises safety is counterproductive.

Thats my opinion, anyway. You don't have to like it, but if you are ever skydiving with me, I'd appreciate it if you keep your eyes open for traffic.

I am happy to engage in a thoughtful discussion about the use of GPS in skydiving. From my experience, I don't know anyone using GPS during a skydive - seems asinine. If you are open under your canopy and you glance over at your fancy alti-watch that ALSO has an arrow pointing to a pre-set waypoint (dz), then I can see how that can be a bonus feature. Perhaps in the plane on jump run for the cessna dropzones without pilot GPS, this can also be a useful tool.

ANYONE STARING AT THEIR WRIST FOR MORE THAN 3 SECONDS DURING ANY PART OF A SKYDIVE NEEDS TO GET KICKED IN THE ASS. I think we can all agree on that one.

SIDENOTE : This weekend I was asked to verify someone's analog altimeter because it was "acting up". I jumped it with my Suunto Vector and there was in fact about 400 feet lag by the time we got to altitude. Verified by all altimeters on board. My first analog altimeter also stopped working one day without explanation. Personally, I'll stick with a Vector any day, either that or a VISO. They both work great for freefall.

I know a couple jumpers who use it for spotting. Be it for a demo jump, an overcast day or simply sitting away from the door with the last tandem, keeping an eye on the spot is easier that way.

I don't think anyone of these actually uses the gps under canopy, except the CRW jumpers (often they jump from 12k here).

After the jump, wingsuiters can read out the gps track, seems to be common these days.

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to fear jumpers using the GPS as a navigation aid under canopy in a regular jumprun.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

And here is a special gift from me to you.

It seems to me that the picture fits you best. You are the one that came on the net all huffing and puffing.
As I posted before, it got removed, there doesn’t seem to be much room in your world for anything by your opinion. That is a good way to miss something important. :S

Sparky

That's enough out of you, ya big ol' fart. We're done, we moved on and we're talking about altimeters and GPS's again. Catch up, we'll wait for you.

Digital wrist altimeters work great and are just as reliable as analog altimeters. GPS functions are useful for post-jump analysis and sometimes for spotting.

There, you're all caught up now dad.

That's enough out of you, ya big ol' fart. We're done, we moved on and we're talking about altimeters and GPS's again. Catch up, we'll wait for you.

Digital wrist altimeters work great and are just as reliable as analog altimeters. GPS functions are useful for post-jump analysis and sometimes for spotting.

There, you're all caught up now dad.

Refer to my last post. I've been ahead of you your whole life.

Sparky

The GPS is for running and cycling!!!
On a track dive or a wingsuit it is nice to use the GPS only to record the jump and see it later on the computer.... not during the jump or canopy flight.

actually if you are wingsuiting on your back it would be nice to have a visual indicator just in case you go off your intended flight path. that way you would know which way the dz is without having flip over to see your reference.
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

I've had a few skydiving altimeters and nothing beats my Suunto Core. I happen to have the 'military' edition all black.

I used to have an analog altimeter along with my Suunto Core to check the precision. The Suunto is spot on precise and the all black military edition is even protected against blinding sun rays, i dont know how else to say it, but even if the sun shines directly on it you'll still see the digits clearly.

What im trying to tell u guys is, get it! It's an amazing watch

Cheers! :-)
yako

I've had a few skydiving altimeters and nothing beats my Suunto Core. I happen to have the 'military' edition all black.

I used to have an analog altimeter along with my Suunto Core to check the precision. The Suunto is spot on precise and the all black military edition is even protected against blinding sun rays, i dont know how else to say it, but even if the sun shines directly on it you'll still see the digits clearly.

What im trying to tell u guys is, get it! It's an amazing watch

Cheers! :-)
yako

Are you saying that it is easier to read the dial on your Suunto, 34mm than it is to read the dial on an Altimaster III, 63 mm, or an Altimaster II at 70 mm?
That seems a little hard to believe.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/Suunto.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/AltimasterIII.gif

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/Alti-II.jpg

Where did you get the "military edition" from?

You have an impeccable talent for manipulating the words of others.

You really should take the time to ACTUALLY READ people's posts and not just focus on gassing up your flame-thrower as soon someone types something.

He used an analog altimeter to verify the accuracy of his digital altimeter. At no point in time does he mention a comparison between the two. At no point in time does he say that analog altimeters are no good. He is simply adding his experience that digital altimeters are a great alternative to the analog altimeters.

Once again old man, I got your back. I'll be here for your translating needs.;)

well, like mothergoose said, i wasnt comparing it other altimeters, but since the wrist watch altimeter creates less drag, is much lighter, way more comfortable and just as accurate as an analog altimeter, then i can definitely recommend it to skydivers with 200+ jumps.

i really like the audibles as well but they are bulky just like the analogs. personally i enjoy skydiving the most when i strip myself down to the minimum, and dont get me wrong, im not flying without pants ;p haha, but sometimes i jump with shorts only! and swoop a beach. the feeling of having just a comfortable v3 rig and no helmet is just amazing .... sorry just felt like sharing this ;))

cheers guys, blue skies!
yako

You have an impeccable talent for manipulating the words of others.

You really should take the time to ACTUALLY READ people's posts and not just focus on gassing up your flame-thrower as soon someone types something.

He used an analog altimeter to verify the accuracy of his digital altimeter. At no point in time does he mention a comparison between the two. At no point in time does he say that analog altimeters are no good. He is simply adding his experience that digital altimeters are a great alternative to the analog altimeters.

Once again old man, I got your back. I'll be here for your translating needs.;)

Read both posts and try to understand what is being said. You are in way over your head.

Sparky

Yes you can!!!
you can customise the exercise screens and select what info you want to display.
you can select as many screens as you want for every exercise mode.
for instance you can navigate, see the altitude and the heart rate at the same time.

I'll pots a pic. later

Enjoy
Gilead

1 month later guess you forgot haha. Could you still post the navigate/altitude/heart rate picture? Many thanks!

Trying to decide between Suunto Ambit and Garmin Fenix
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

mjosparky

I would tend to agree, I use a Suunto Vector, works fine, I've had it next to analog ones before, just as good.

Until it’s not just as good. Once again style trumps function. ;)

Sparky

I use a Visio, with a Optima II and my Pathfinder as a backup…if all three batteries die, I have my good ol' eyeballs (which suck ass because I'm new) that will take me to the landing where I will inevitably fuck it up regardless of what I think or know my altitude is. Skydiving kicks ass…

Seriously though, I think watches are a good idea for backups, and things with batteries aren't as scary as they seem. Its up to people to be big boys and girls and change the batteries when needed. If you can't do that, then I guess chalk it up to natural selection.