Al4

Sabre2 150 or Pilot 150

I haven't flown a 150 but i have flown both canopies. they are both fairly similar canopies. I think the sabre 2 is a bit more sporty but not by much and the flare is better than the pilot but the pilot still has an excellent flare. Sabre 2 has a little more toggle pressure than the pilot and i couldn't really tell much difference on the riser pressure. The openings on the pilot are fantastic if you like longer soft on heading openings. The sabre 2 usually has soft openings but they can slam you if you pack sloppy. Sabre 2's almost never open on heading and almost always have closed end cells(not really that big of a deal though).

Again, they're both pretty much the same canopies in regards to flight characteristics but they have some slight differences that aren't significant. See if you can demo them and decide for yourself. I prefer the pilot but i would recommend both canopies
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I have flown the Sabre2 and Pilot 190 (@1.1) and 170 (@1.25), but not the 150. There are pretty similar, with a few minor differences:

- Both open with closed end cells. Happens more often on the Sabre2 and the Sabre2 is more likely to turn due to closed end cells.
- Sabre2's have more flare power in the top half of the toggle stroke, the Pilot's power is lower down. I can't say that one is better than the other, it's just different.
- The Sabre2 will dive longer in a turn and has less front riser pressure in a turn.
- For getting back from a long spot, IMO, Pilots floats best in full flight with some rear riser, the Sabre2 floats better in brakes.

You didn't mention your WL or what you want to do with the canopy. Those factors could push you towards one of the other.

-Shakey

Thanks for the input. WL for the 150 would be right at 1.4. Which is about the max I want to go right now. Jumped a Sabre2 190 today and thought it was fun but too big. Openings were soft but a little off heading. Flare seemed to have a lot of power even at 1.1, with a straight in approach.

I plan on demo'ing both but it always helps to get input along the way. SAFIRE2? Same category?

I jumped them all in that size range and could not tell a difference between the canopies. They are all 9 cell semi-elliptical canopies with relatively short recovery arcs. Everything written above comes down to trim issues and brake settings of individual canopies and really has very little to do with the planform of the canopies being discussed. IMO.

The sabre 2 usually has soft openings but they can slam you if you pack sloppy. Sabre 2's almost never open on heading and almost always have closed end cells(not really that big of a deal though).

I describe the Sabre 2 openings like this: "SNATCH! snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel, inflaaaaatteeeee." I think the end cell closure is dependent on packing and WL in my experience, never had end cell or major heading issues at 1.1-1.2. You didn't say your WL by the way. I have a handful of jumps on a Pilot, about 100 on Sabre 2's, and 200ish on a Hornet which is very similar to the Pilot. I would say I like the openings on the Pilot better, soft but not sniveler, leave the nose wise open. But flight and landing characteristics the Sabre 2 is much more fun I think, its snappier and has a longer recovery arc. As others have said, the flare in the Sabre 2 is more in the bottom and the Pilot in the top.
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"

The sabre 2 usually has soft openings but they can slam you if you pack sloppy. Sabre 2's almost never open on heading and almost always have closed end cells(not really that big of a deal though).

I describe the Sabre 2 openings like this: "SNATCH! snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel snivel, inflaaaaatteeeee." I think the end cell closure is dependent on packing and WL in my experience, never had end cell or major heading issues at 1.1-1.2. You didn't say your WL by the way. I have a handful of jumps on a Pilot, about 100 on Sabre 2's, and 200ish on a Hornet which is very similar to the Pilot. I would say I like the openings on the Pilot better, soft but not sniveler, leave the nose wise open. But flight and landing characteristics the Sabre 2 is much more fun I think, its snappier and has a longer recovery arc. As others have said, the flare in the Sabre 2 is more in the bottom and the Pilot in the top.

I think the flare on the sabre 2 and pilot is opposite of what you say. More on the top for the sabre and more on the bottom for the pilot
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

I think the flare on the sabre 2 and pilot is opposite of what you say. More on the top for the sabre and more on the bottom for the pilot

That has been my experience as well. I load a 150 @ 1.33. Still get end cell inflation issues on sa2. Safire2 is more responsive than sa2 at same loading according to a friend who owns both.