javiaven

NZ Aerosports lost my canopy, doesn't care about it

I hate having to do this here, but I'm running out of options. A month ago, I bought a stock Icarus Saphire 2 canopy from NZ Aerosports. I paid for it and, on April 9, I got a FedEx delivery confirmation message saying it had been delivered at an address in Atlanta, US. I live in frickin' Spain!!!

First because they were at the Skydive Expo, then because one of them is on his honeymoon, then because another one of them is at a training camp for her 4-way team, a month later I have only received a couple of Facebook (WHAT???) messages saying they are sorry and will look into it. Of course, nothing is said about the €1,400 they already received.

Any ideas, anyone?

I hate having to do this here, but I'm running out of options. A month ago, I bought a stock Icarus Saphire 2 canopy from NZ Aerosports. I paid for it and, on April 9, I got a FedEx delivery confirmation message saying it had been delivered at an address in Atlanta, US. I live in frickin' Spain!!!

First because they were at the Skydive Expo, then because one of them is on his honeymoon, then because another one of them is at a training camp for her 4-way team, a month later I have only received a couple of Facebook (WHAT???) messages saying they are sorry and will look into it. Of course, nothing is said about the €1,400 they already received.

Any ideas, anyone?

Shannon IS on a training Camp in the US, (Eloy), Im sure when she returns she will get it sorted for you. (i know it doesn't help you right now). But there is truth in what they have told you. The Skydive Expo and training camp happen back to back. So some of them would understandably be out of service for a short while,.

ETA, i have no affiliation with NZ Aero. I just know that some of them are out of their country for a while.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I talked to NZA yesterday and only the canopy developer was in. Attila is on holiday and was married about a week ago, Shannon has been in the US for some time and will be returning very soon.

I am sure they will do everything they can to assist you once they get back.

Have you contacted FedEx to see if they can assist?

I talked to NZA yesterday and only the canopy developer was in. Attila is on holiday and was married about a week ago, Shannon has been in the US for some time and will be returning very soon.

I am sure they will do everything they can to assist you once they get back.

Have you contacted the courier company to see if they can assist?

Yeah, again: I know Attila is getting married (that is why, when the automated email reply says to call him on his cell I'm really loath to doing it), and I know Shannon is at the camp. I know they had the Expo, and I understand all that. But the same way I don't have my patients asleep on my OR table if I have to go on vacation, but rather postpone the surgeries in such cases, if they knew they had such a busy and unproductive time ahead, then they should not have taken my money in the first place. No big issue!

I seriously hate doing this... I'm a friendly, patient, and reasonable guy, I swear. I've had nothing but great experiences since I started skydiving, and now I probably seem like an asshole for having this discussion in public. But this situation is not acceptable, by any means.

And of course, FedEx is not taking care of this, since they actually delivered the package, on time, to the (wrong) address they were given. I did speak to them and, though they actually were sorry this happened to me, they are not the ones to blame. They actually offered to pick up the package and take it to the correct address in Atlanta... Of course, when I told them the correct address was not even in the US, they said they couldn't do it. Understandable.

What I don't understand: Why didn't FedEx offer to pick up the parcel and charge you for delivery to Spain? You could then sort it out with NZA who surely would pay the shipping fees back to you.

I had an issue with shipments from Australia twice in the past. Both shipments were directed to the USA instead of Germany, but both were redirected to Germany when it was found out that they were labelled wrong. This shouldn't be a big deal for any major shipping company.

Seems to me, if you have a business like this, you arrange to run it, or have someone run it, when you're away. If that's impossible, then suspend operations during your away-time so this kind of screw-up doesn't happen. It doesn't sound malicious; it's more a question of necessary diligence. Excuse modality doesn't negate that.

Seems to me, if you have a business like this, you arrange to run it, or have someone run it, when you're away.

Away? I must have missed the part where one (or all) of them are in jail. What I did see is that one of them is at a 4-way camp in Eloy.

Last time I checked there was cell service and wi-fi up the yin-yang at Eloy. I'll go out on a limb and figure if your business can afford to go halfway around the world to the Skydive Expo, and you can afford to then do a 4-way camp in Eloy, you or your business can afford a laptop and/or a smart phone. There's no excuse for not taking a few min and making some calls/sending some emails and getting this cleared up.

Case in point, the last time I was in Z-hills I rented one of the trailers from Judy. Actually, I split it with a buddy, so when my phone started ringing at 6AM with work calls (like it does every day), I got my ass out of bed and spent an hour or two walking around the trailer park taking care of my business. Just becasue you're on vacation doesn't mean your business is too.

So given their line of business...what are the odds the address delivered to is someone in the industry?

Pretty good, I'd think, but unless someone from NZA gets on the horn and makes some calls, I doubt anything will come of it.

Think about it, let's say you got a canopy in the mail that you didn't order. Then you get a call from a guy in Spain claiming that the manufacturer sent it to the wrong address, and that it's really his canopy. If it was me, I'd be surprised the guy calling wasn't from Nigeria, because it sounds like some sort of scam.

Now if the manufacturer called, and explained the problem, I'd be happy to help them out and correct the error, but again, it all comes down to someone from the company doing their job.

what are the odds the address delivered to is someone in the industry?

Certainly possible! Perhaps someone copied the address off the adjacent row of a sales database or spreadsheet...

The OP should try to find out who does live at the address the canopy was sent. And someone at NZA needs to have access to their database even on the road to figure out what happened.

Pretty good, I'd think, but unless someone from NZA gets on the horn and makes some calls, I doubt anything will come of it.

In Germany, you as the addressee are not entitled to have anything that was delivered to a wrong address to be sent to you. The only one who can do this is the (original) sender. Though this is a nuisance for the person who want to get hold of their (paid) goods it is sort of sensible to prevent Mr attorney on behalf of the late Mr NigeriaScam from fiddling with deliveries. So, long way put short: Only NZA can get it fixed and I also can't really understand why this isn't possible in the modern days of smartphones and WiFi-able laptops...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I also can't really understand why this isn't possible in the modern days of smartphones and WiFi-able laptops...

I would say the same thing, if this was over the course of a weekend or so, but according to the OP this issue has been going on long enough that the first excuse was that everyone was at the Skydive Expo in Deland, which ended April 8th, about three weeks ago.

All jokes aside, in that time they could have found a hard wired desk top, a land line, or they could have even mailed a letter to the recipient in Atlanta and it would have gotten there by now.

Don´t NZA have a factory in Spain....somewhere north of Barcelona?. I`m sure I heard that somewhere....

No. It's another company. They sell the same canopies with the same specs, also under the name of Icarus, but are otherwise no longer affiliated. it seems to be an unusual but amiable agreement between former partners.

Don´t NZA have a factory in Spain

That would be Icarus, who are unfortunately not the same company as NZA, although they manufacture a lot of the same canopy designs under license (plus at least one more).

I know a few people who prefer to buy their Icarus-ish canopies from NZ Aero rather than Icarus Spain, for one reason and another. Obviously this has gotten expensive lately, but it's still common!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It should have taken 5 minutes to fix. All they needed/need to do is request fed-ex to pick up the package and re-deliver it to the correct address. They would have spent more time figuring out to just say "agent" over and over to by pass the automation and get to a human then it would have taken to fix I.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Hi Peter,

The OP should try to find out who does live at the address the canopy was sent.

I could not disagree more. It is NOT the responsibility of the OP.

This is the ongoing problem everywhere. The people who made the mistake want to put the responsibility/problem onto the customer. What a great business plan. :S

I sold my very first piece of parachute equipment back in 1965 & have been selling off/on ever since.

The thing that works and that people can live with is communication. If it is going to be late: Let the customer know. If there is a color no longer available: Let the customer know.

Some of my dealers think I am nuts with all of my emails about every little detail; but it prevents mistakes ( mostly ), and saves both of us time & money ( hopefully ).

Communicate - communicate - communicate.

Just my $0.02, for what it is worth.

JerryBaumchen

It is NOT the responsibility of the OP.

I'll agree with you there.
But with the blinding speed with which the company has taken care of the problem -- it now being 20 days since the misdelivery -- one does start to wonder about trying to find out who might actually have the canopy in their possession now...