slotperfect

*Updated* - Decelerator Reserve/Vortex II Container Service Bulletin

Here's a preview of the subject matter, so you can decide if you want to download it and look at it.
Subject: Reserve lower steering lines and reserve toggles.

Identification: All Decelerator reserves and Vortex 2 Rigs

Background: Right reserve toggle locked after a cutaway procedure generating 2 rapid turns.
April 13, 2012 (Gap, France)

Origins :
1. Bartack sewing on the right lower steering line is too close to the brake set loop
(5mm or 3/16" less than the left one)
2. Toggles nozzle are too soft, implying a nozzle narrowing.

"Compliance Date: At the next repack cycle"

The solutions are basically these:

If a Decelerator brake loop is restricted in size due to the bar tack location, the bar tack needs to be removed and resewn in the proper location.

If the nose of the Vortex II reserve toggle is too soft, stitching should be added to stiffen it. Free replacement toggles are also available.

The SB was just modified !!!

Compliance date is not at next repack cycle, now it is before the next jump.

The SB it's too big to be uploaded here. I'm sending it to the moderators!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I got a copy of the new bulletin version.

Sorry to say, but what an incompetent company, at least when it comes to paperwork.

First they don't have bulletins on their own web page, at least in any way apparent.

Then they re-issue a bulletin, with the exact same bulletin name, exact same date, and just a few words changed, with no indication that the bulletin was changed. Two versions of the "same bulletin" will end up out there.

And the language is ambiguous:
The new version says to
a) inspect the brake lines before the next jump,
b) inspect the brake toggles at the next repack,
and
c) at the end, "Compliance Date: Before next jump".

Now, does that mean that the bulletin overall needs to be considered before the next jump, but the toggles can wait for the next repack? Or that their wording is in error and that the toggles have to follow both next jump and next repack rules, or in effect just the former?

This difference does matter if someone has a Vortex without a Decelerator reserve in it.

I think I'll take the safe way out and interpret that everything has to be inspected before the next jump, and tell my customers that.

I assume it'll make its way to Parachutemanuals.com soon, but for now I've put my copy (thanks Deyan) up at:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oc7av6os9wc2b86

I call it "sort of version 2" since there's no identification or proof of what it is supposed to be.

So that I'm not just talking behind the company's back, I have emailed Parachute Systems with my concerns about their bulletin process. Everyone makes mistakes but it all just looks sloppy.

Not sure what's up with the 'temporarily unavailable' -- it's hard to know how a site will work for others, without having a different computer and internet connection to test it with. It 'should work'...

Anyway, I did get in contact with Parachute Systems and they apologize for the problems. It is their first SB ever, the head of the company has a back injury and hasn't gotten to the office, and so there seems to be a little confusion in the small company. They do hope to get a definitive version of the SB posted soon on their own site.

Since the 2nd version I got is identical with the first on Parachutemanuals, except for the things I described, one can get by for now with the first version plus this thread.

Then eventually we should all be able to get a cleaned up version from the company.

The Service Bulletin is actually on their frontpage of the website CRICKY

what I do not understand is the following :

Qualified Personnel: Any certified Master Parachute Rigger or foreign equivalent may perform this inspection.

For the repairs, OK, but to inspect the gear, come on....
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The version that has now been posted for the first time on Parachute Systems' web site does show "before the next jump" for everything, clearing up that confusion.

So the only silliness left is the Master rigger thing, where I assume many of use will allow any rigger to simply inspect.

Like with Vigil SB8 or the Capewell bulletin in '03, it'll make sense to record the inspection on the packing card.

I assume it'll make its way to Parachutemanuals.com soon

FWIW, anyone can upload to parachutemanuals.com, the posts just require Eric to approve them (which he's pretty good at doing, especially if you shoot him a message to let him know there's one waiting).
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Does this service bulletin only apply if you have a Decelerator AND a Vortex rig?

Or are they two separate issues?

Do all Decelerators need to be inspected regardless of the container?

There are two issues. For Decelerator reserves, it's the size of the brake-set eye, regardless of the container. For Vortex containers, it's the stiffness of the reserve toggles, regardless of the reserve.

Mark