Cinders

Upsizing questions

Hi all. Got a 190, but that was after the military, and I've... gained some weight. Wish I could say all in my crotch, lol.

190 works fine flight wise, but I'm wondering if a 210 would open slower/smoother? (both are sabre2)

Have a shoulder injury that is antagonized by rough openings. I try to get a good rigger to put snivel in, but I get rough openings at least once a day.

And, if I do upsize, is there any way to tell if it would fit in my current container? Been told that the only way is to let a packer try to jam it in there.

The WL shouldn't effect the opening of the canopy. If it's opening harder that you weigh more, you might just be going faster when you deploy, which can lead to harder openings. Upsizing won't fix that, as you'll sill be going the same speed at deployment time with a bigger canopy in your rig.

I don't know how the big Sabre2s open, so I can't say if it's normal or not. Have the line trim checked, maybe it went out of trim recently, and of course consistant packing is going to be key. If you don't have that, work on it and see if you can't develop a reliable pack job.

You could always go old school, and get a bigger slider (chord-wise, not span-wise) or lower your brake setting a little on the brake line, either one of those should do the trick, but it's not the 'preferred' way. I used to do that stuff when my canopy needed a reline and I couldn't afford it.

In the end, maybe look up a Spectre 190, if you're happy with the 190 size. The Spectre might be the best opening canopy ever made, and I don't think that's an exaggeration.

And, if I do upsize, is there any way to tell if it would fit in my current container? Been told that the only way is to let a packer try to jam it in there.

Take a look at the PD Pulse. A 210 Pulse will pack the same size as a 190. I've put about 350 jumps on Pulses and had reliably soft openings.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Hi all. Got a 190, but that was after the military, and I've... gained some weight. Wish I could say all in my crotch, lol.

190 works fine flight wise, but I'm wondering if a 210 would open slower/smoother? (both are sabre2)

Have a shoulder injury that is antagonized by rough openings. I try to get a good rigger to put snivel in, but I get rough openings at least once a day.

I have Strong Zpo's in 170 190 & 210...I don't jump the 170 much unless the wind is honking, the 190 has an over-sized slider which works well with consistent openings ~but on that 210 I went with a huge pocket slider because I was going to use it loaded heavy jumping flags etc.

The pocket slider opens so smooth and soft that it's about the only canopy I use anymore.

No matter how I pack it or deploy it I've never gotten banged by it (yet)

The down side is the damn thing is huge, more material to handle when packing/stuffing, and even collapsed it's like camping under a big-top.

One of my friends jumps an identical 190 to mine, he had the stock slider converted to match the 'pockets' on my 210 and says it's improved the openings considerably.

I've never jumps his so I can't say it personally, but it's something to consider as a cheap fix while your looking for another option.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'll see if I can get my Sabre2 to work, I jumped rented rigs with Sabre2 230's, and they opened like the snivel-god was personally hooking me up. I'd actually look up at the chute and cuss at it, yelling at it to hurry up and open fully.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. Anyone care to explain "pocket slider"? My only experience with that is it's a detachable slider that goes in your pocket, lol.

Again, I really appreciate the help. My doctor is bitching me out about jumping with my shoulder, and I'm nearing the end of steroid and anti-inflammatory shots he's willing to try before surgery.

quartering the slider by preferentially pulling it out over the nose will help slow the canopy down when deploying it. Still quarter it normally just pull the quarter over the nose a bit further than the other three.

I'm going to disagree with this.
I had a couple slammers on my Sabre2 (170) and had a master rigger suggest focusing on making sure the sides of the slider were fully pulled out. He said that, for the Sabre2, the front/back isn't as important as the sides.

It's worked very well so far.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

quartering the slider by preferentially pulling it out over the nose will help slow the canopy down when deploying it. Still quarter it normally just pull the quarter over the nose a bit further than the other three.

I'm going to disagree with this.
I had a couple slammers on my Sabre2 (170) and had a master rigger suggest focusing on making sure the sides of the slider were fully pulled out. He said that, for the Sabre2, the front/back isn't as important as the sides.

It's worked very well so far.

Good stuff.

Not saying you are wrong. My experience is like his. The nose offers me some control over opening speed. I've never noticed anything with the span-wise being anywhere different, in or out. I did have a master rigger tell me to make sure that they are not outside the stabilizers but, in or out, I've noticed no impact either way....as yet.
To each their own, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239