DubJump

Z1 Helmet -> How is it?

I have one of the original ones and it was a nice helmet but the quality has gone down hill bad in the last few years.

I helped a jumper replace the ratcheting mechanism on her's last fall and we both could not believe how cheap and flimsy the whole thing was.

I won't buy another. But the Cookie G3 is awesome.

Now that's a good helmet.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I have one of the original ones and it was a nice helmet but the quality has gone down hill bad in the last few years.

I helped a jumper replace the ratcheting mechanism on her's last fall and we both could not believe how cheap and flimsy the whole thing was.

I won't buy another. But the Cookie G3 is awesome.

Now that's a good helmet.

So you could not find a more expensive than Cookie G3 ?

I got one Z1 and I have lost one Z1 already.
It's OK if it is a good fit on your head and just make sure if the chin clip is in good shape too.

What ratcheting mechanism? Maybe you're thinking of a different helmet.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I have bought 2 Z1 in the last couple years (I lost one, before finding it 6 months later lol). I also had a really old one (1st gen, from the late 90's).

I do not see any loss in quality. In fact, I'd say the quality is better now: no more cracking of the shell at the edge, behind the ears.

As far as the G3 is is concerned, I personally have major reservations about the foam they use. Loudiamond posted a military study that showed it wasn't recommended for helmets, and that jives with my personal opinion of something that hardens on impact.

In the end, with the variety of helmets now available, try them to find one that fits your head well.
Remster

In the end, with the variety of helmets now available, try them to find one that fits your head well.

this is the big deal - find the Brand that fits your head shape. Just like there a lot of great brands for ski and rollerblade boots, but only likely one or two brands that fit any one individual.

For the OP - I had an older Z1 and it was great. We bought another in '08 and it functions just as well - however, the newer one has a couple issues that the older one didn't. 1-they flipped the post on the visor pivot (the '08 model the post points out while on my original it points inward) - it makes it a million times harder to change lenses - and this is not a minor thing it's THAT much harder). 2 - Lots of seams in the padding that's glued now, my audible pocket started to really fall apart and my audible started to just fall out randomly - I'd find it adrift in the plane most every load. Luckily, we're handy and we just sewed in a more robust and functional pocket. I wish it were more airtight when I'm doing tunnel somewhere dry (Denver, Eloy) - but that's pretty minor.

I'd really like it if the skirt/collar was more easily taken off to clean.

on the plus side - I like that I can open and close the shield with one hand. I like that it stays closed and the method is very secure. This brand fits my head shape better than any other brand.

but, in the end, I think the fit is the most important thing as all the helmets aren't that much different.

I like the phantom (a lot for the way the liner snugs the face and the visibility), but I'm somewhere between the L and XL and the fit is so important for this helmet IMO, that I don't think I can buy one - and the ones I've seen a lot of little bit pieces breaking (buy a bag of hinge spares) and this last weekend, we had a jumper have the whole visor come off and he couldn't get it reassembled before the jump. I'm not bashing it, as I said, I like it a lot, but just to point out that all the helmets will have their quirks. I'm also not a fan of snaps and straps at all - prefer buckles. Still better than velcro any day. there was an older brand that had that temple strap, but it used velcro - those things were terrible and the visor would flip up randomly, etc. can't recall the brand

I also don't know what a ratcheting mechanism is on a Z1 - nor a chin cup - perhaps those two guyrs were talking about a camera helmet from the same company. I'm a big fan of simple design - hinges, shell, liner, buckle and a simple locking mechanism makes me happy. the more bits and ratchets and devices, etc? I start to worry.

I've looked at a lot of new helmets and I'm disappointed that I'll have to get a new one someday and it'll requrie two hands to flip the visor.

that was the long answer. Short answer? I'd buy another one.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've looked at a lot of new helmets and I'm disappointed that I'll have to get a new one someday and it'll requrie two hands to flip the visor.

You can flip the Revolve's visor up with one hand and it has the most secure visor locking mechanism out there.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

What ratcheting mechanism? Maybe you're thinking of a different helmet.

I could have used a different term than ratcheting (my bad).

I'm talking about the mechanism that allows the lens to flip up. They are located on the sides (near the temple ) of the helmet.

I have taken both hers and mine apart. Mine is one of the originals. Hers is about three years old.

Mine is fairly sturdy hers is incredibley flimsy and her post that keeps the helmet closed which is located on the chin is plastic and she has trouble keeping it closed. My post is made of steel and works much better.

I would not buy one of the new Z1s.

Bare in mind I make more than 300 hundred jumps a year plus tunnel. If you're only making 100 a year you might be ok with it.

As others have said make sure it fits. There are a couple of very popular brands that just don't feel comfortable on my head.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I could have used a different term than ratcheting (my bad).

I'm talking about the mechanism that allows the lens to flip up. They are located on the sides (near the temple ) of the helmet.

The Z1 has a single visor release button at the chin - unless that's changed in the last few months - the pivots are at the temple, but it's just simple 'posts and holes' (with spring and locking mechanism which is pretty simple and secure) - But I agree with you, in my comments above, that the change in design greatly bothers me in terms of ease of lens replacement - but it's very annoying and seems easily fixed if they would just flip the pivot post back to the external piece part. Damn near tore the skin off my thumbs trying to hold the lens and visor frame alignment during reassembly.

post that keeps the helmet closed which is located on the chin is plastic and she has trouble keeping it closed. My post is made of steel and works much better.

absolutely - that has changed from metal to plastic - ackk

seems all the support stuff is getting shoddier - look at weight belts lately - the packs are just plastic bags of shot now with staples - freakin' epidemic

However, if SG recommend the G3, I'm sure to check it out next time I'm shopping. Though I absolutely hated the older Oxygen's, it was easier to just remove the visor and wear goggles than deal with them popping up.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

You can flip the Revolve's visor up with one hand and it has the most secure visor locking mechanism out there.

thanks, Lou

I've been jumping a Z1 - in fact, the very same Z1 - for nearly 10 years and on the whole I'm still happy with it. I have read other threads saying that they couldn't get one to fit comfortably, and of course as with any model that's all down to compatibility between it and whatever shape your head happens to be.

One thing I've found is that over time the elasticated audible pocket has stretched, and I've had to switch sides so as not to risk losing my audible.

But my only real gripe is the visor locking mechanism. Even after all this time I sometimes struggle to hold the button in and lift the visor at the same time when my hands are cold, and that results in a split and bleeding thumbnail!

I'm looking to buy a full face and came across this one. Just wondering if anyone has this helmet and if so how's it holding up for ya?

Been jumping the same one for12 years. Great helmet, works as advertised, and takes a beating well.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX
  • Like 1

male end of buckle broke last weekend - I wish it was a standard buckle.... one I could find at a fabric or hobby store, but it seems custom. However, unfeathered got me a replacement within a couple days - that's pretty good service. I'd hate to have to replace the female side though. I think it's riveted in and under the glue

They have a new visor, I think it's about 60 bucks, but they say it's 3 times as thick and anti fog! On back order will be here soon,... And ya that glue on the skirt takes some effort to remove, and I can't find an equally strong glue to glue it back. I found replacment buckle at a sports store no problem...
C

I hand tacked the buckle fold with 5 or 6 tacks, I want the thing to be able to pull off my head with little to no effort in case of a snag!

Too answere your question, the thing is holding up well, critters love it too,...

I Love my dog,...[:/]
C

[inline DogvZ1.jpg]

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

(edited)

I found the Z1 to be the best fit for my large head, and I used it for about 10 years. Even the largest G3 would not allow for the width across my ears. The audible pocket on mine also got stretched out over time, and I did not like the distortion from the updated visor, which I used for one season. I've never had either visor on the Z1 open during freefall. 

I sold my old Z1 helmet with both visors and a nice helmet bag, which was in really great condition except for the drawstring cord being broken. There was no interest in the helmet until I eventually lowered the price down to $80.

I really like my new Kiss helmet, no visor distortion, easy to use, love that audibles are securely held, not just in a pocket, and camera accessories are available. Only the price is bad.

Edited by sundevil777
  • Like 1