Maksimsf

Analog altimeter question

I had a problems with our "free to rent" old beaten up Altimaster II when under canopy. I tend to always overshoot my landings cuz of the needle always used to get stuck at 1000. I was pretty sure it's not going to happen if I'll buy a brand new one. So my first piece of gear I bought right after AFF was a Galaxy, and I do regret not spending $100 more and not getting something like Viso II now. I put 35 jumps on my galaxy and every time when I under the canopy I have to knock on it to see whats my altitude is and I don't even bother doing so when I hit 1000ft - it's just act the same way as our "AFF" old beaten up Altimaster II. My question is.. do you - experienced jumpers still buy analog altimeters? I'm pretty sure it's a good idea to have a spare one when battery dies in your N3/Neptune/Viso ect, but I got tired to knock on that thingy every time I climb or under canopy, but have to admit - I think that it's working pretty good in a freefall...:S

Customer service is great.
Just like any other product, sometimes a lemon slips through and that may be the case here.

It also may be the case that it's showing you correct altitude and when you thump it it throws the indicator off to something not true.

Either way, have it checked out and if it's defective, they'll fix it...most likely replace it.

You may get defective digitals off the shelf too. No worries. Customer service for altis is pretty good regardless of manufacturer.

Yep even old timers buy Galaxy altimeters. It's nothing more than a preference for analog face or digital face....your preference. Digitals do offer more features but you can get digital functionality with an analog face...again, your preference.

Yes, the recommendation after student status is one on the wrist (as per your preference) and one digital in the helmet. Just be careful about setting yourself up to be dependent on it which is what you indicate when you said.....

"I tend to always overshoot my landings cuz of the needle"

Sounds like you are depending on the alti to put you down on target. You would serve yourself well to learn to fly the variable wind conditions as opposed to what an altimeter is telling you.

Talk to an accuracy competitor. Ask how much they depend on altimeters to hit those dead centers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It shouldn't be hanging up. Galaxies are great. That's why they've been around for 50+ years. Did you buy it new? It will be fixed under warranty. If it's used. You can still send it back to Alti2. They'll completely refurbish it for about $65.

Analogs stick from time to time especialy under canopy, It's just the way they are and why they have a stated margin of error. I use one for work and we've sent back numerous Alti-2's thinking our smoke slag was fouling them up but got the same performance immediately after they were refurbished.