Hausse

How much will an A-License cost me?

Hi everybody.

I just registered on this board so I don't know if the question was already asked 500 times. I searched but couldn't find anything.

I'm an exchange student from Switzerland and I always wanted to do my skydiving license. And since it is a little cheaper over here in the US I will do it here.

But since I'm a pretty poor College Student, I was wondering how much it will cost me in the end. Can anybody give me a price range for the 25 dives I need for the A-License?

And where's the cheapest place to do it. I live in Toledo ,OH but I wouldn't mind driving a few hours for saving money.

Thanks.

The cheapest place may or may not be the best place for you to learn. You're better off learning at a dz close to where you are living - makes it much easier to find people to jump with at 26 jumps if you've been hanging out with them since your first jump.

How much it will cost in jumps to go from zero to A license depends a lot on the prices where you jump (student jumps, coach jumps, solos, gear rental, etc), how many categories you have to repeat, if you buy a rig right away or rent for awhile... there are really too many variables to give you a hard and fast number. I usually tell people to expect to spend $6000 or so between jumps and gear to get to an A license. YMMV.

Okey then I'm sunk. I'll never be able to afford that. Even 2k would bring me into truble but 6k...

The thing is, that the cheapest place may or may not be the best place to learn, but the only place I can afford ;)

I have been in a wind tube 3 times back home in Switzerland and the guy said I'm natural so I hope I get through all the courses straight away without repeating any. I'm in really good shape and I'm 19 so I think I have pretty good chances.

How much is a used gear going to cost me?

You said the price depends on where I jump. What would be the cheapest place?

Thanks

Look up near the top of the page in the black bar where it says "Dropzones". Click on that, then follow the links to your area and do the research. :)
You say you're in Ohio, right? Here's a direct link to DZ's in Ohio: http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/Ohio/index.html

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The cheapest place can be the costliest one if the training is sub-standard and you potentially die.

I have often thought that saving $10 just to end up going in would be the worst saving i'd ever make.

Skydiving costs a lot - often it costs more money than you have (because you start dreaming of trips / gear / stupid stuff) and so whatever your budget is, you are likely to exceed it.

However if you wish to jump as cheaply as possible, how about going to the best LOCAL DZ - where people will get to know you and will often help you ...

Then see if they have any jobs that need doing - helping in the bar / packing parachutes / clearing up - whatever they need someone to do - often they will reward you with free jumps / cheap instruction etc.

Its a good way to meet people and to save money :)
Regards

James

Ps you won't regret it - i don't despite having spent over $50 000 jumping ;-)

Look up near the top of the page in the black bar where it says "Dropzones". Click on that, then follow the links to your area and do the research. :)
You say you're in Ohio, right? Here's a direct link to DZ's in Ohio: http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/Ohio/index.html

When calling around, ask if any of the places do static line. Static line is much cheaper than AFF (and you end up in the same place anyway). If you can find a club DZ with a 182, better yet. I got my A license (25 jumps) for $740 (including gear, coaching, instruction, video debriefs etc) via static line at a 182 club dz in Wisconsin (but then again I was also taking out the trash, packing student rigs and scrubbing toilets--well I still am but...)

From Toledo its actually better to go north to Mi then to Ohio.

Skydive Tecumseh Tecumseh, Michigan 38.04 miles
Napoleon Skydiving Center Napoleon, Michigan 56.35 miles
Midwest Freefall Ray, MI, Michigan 86.77 miles
Marine City Parahawks Marine City, Michigan 92.56 miles
Aerohio Rittman, Ohio 99.20 miles

As for jumping and getting your A, in all reality you are looking at spending $1200-2500 in just jumps to get cleared for solo jumps. Then depending on the location its 5-16 jumps out side the student program to get your A. Figure on $22 per jump for those plus gear rental at say $20 a jump. All told $2500-3000 will pay for all your jumps and gear rental to get to an A licence. Then buy some used gear at $1000 for some older well used gear with out an AAD to $4000 for lightly used newer gear or anything in between. Static line is by far cheaper if you can find it and it works better for the limitd budget since its only about $50 a student jump so its easier to stay current.

Jumping will start wrapping up for the most part in this area for the year in about 12-14 weeks. Keep that in mind as you start to look at scheduling since with the whole winter off you may have to repeat a level due to not jumping for a while. Ie a Static line progression would put you back on the static line for a jump usually before clearing you back to freefall, an AFF program might have you exiting with an instructor holding you again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When calling around, ask if any of the places do static line. Static line is much cheaper than AFF (and you end up in the same place anyway). If you can find a club DZ with a 182, better yet. I got my A license (25 jumps) for $740 (including gear, coaching, instruction, video debriefs etc) via static line at a 182 club dz

I did that too. 13-14 years ago when jumps were cheaper. The pace was slower but you took more in just by spending more time out there, including sitting through wind holds for students and watching the experienced jumpers land.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Thanks for your advice. I won't save on security (I dive so I know pretty well how much security in extreme sports means since I have lost a few friends).

That it will exceed my budget is clear it's always like that but if I can't even afford to get licensed that would really suck.

I was just at the local airport and they told me Tecumseh, MI is the closest DZ so I'll probably just drive there (even if it's about 45 min.) and ask how much they'll charge me. Maybe I make some friends;)
Is it a good place to learn?

Is it smarter to buy a rig and everything right from the beginning or should I wait? I'll probably go with a used one.

Look up near the top of the page in the black bar where it says "Dropzones". Click on that, then follow the links to your area and do the research.

When calling around, ask if any of the places do static line. Static line is much cheaper than AFF (and you end up in the same place anyway). If you can find a club DZ with a 182, better yet. I got my A license (25 jumps) for $740 (including gear, coaching, instruction, video debriefs etc) via static line at a 182 club dz in Wisconsin (but then again I was also taking out the trash, packing student rigs and scrubbing toilets--well I still am but...)

That sounds like the perfect way for me;)
Does anyone know of a place like that near Toledo?
Or should I drive up to Wisconsin for a Weekend? (It would take me about 9 hours..)

Okey then I'm sunk. I'll never be able to afford that. Even 2k would bring me into truble but 6k...

If you want it bad enough and you're willing to work for it, you can find a way to make it happen. Lots of people finance their jumping by packing or otherwise working at their local dz or by getting some other part time job.

If that all sounds like too much effort, well, skydiving will still be there when you're done with school and making the big bucks. Having spent the past 17 years wishing I could afford to jump as much as I'd really like to, I have to say finishing school and then learning to skydive is the smarter way to go...

Sure you can do part-time jobs, you just can't be employeed...see if you can work odd jobs in a neighborhood for cash, cut grass, trim bushes etc. That's the same as packing parachutes on the weekends.

edit to add I guess in your neck of the woods I should have said shovel snow instead of cut grass...:D

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

That doesn't really count as part-time job more as under the counter job;)

Problem with the snow shoveling business is, that guys with big trucks and snowblades are quite a bit faster and cheaper than I am.

I'll just drive out to Tacumseh tomorrow and see if they can help me. Anybody ever been there?

Cost me about $1500 to get my A license a couple of years ago. That was everything included and it took me 29 jumps to complete. Of course there was gas to get to the dz and all the times I drove up and got winded out. And then there is the beer. ;)

Also, don't be surprised to have to redo a couple of jumps. Just because you did fine in the tunnel doesn't me it will be the same in the sky. It's a little different with the gound comming at you. :o

Have a blast. It's worth whatever you need to pay.

Scott

I didn't know Skydivers were such a party folk but that's just making it more interesting ;)

I think you are confused. This drinking club has a skydiving problem.:S:D

And the true cost of your A license is half your income for the rest of your jumping career. Best money I've ever spent.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Okey I just came back from Tecumseh and it was a big mistake going there. Now I HAVE to do it:D

Just checked on my finances and I think if I don't eat for the next few weeks it could work. Anybody knows a good paying job in this area so I don't have to starve?