costanza

Altimeter Preference

250 feet +/- seems like an awful lot of altitude variation. but, digi's having only 10% of that in error? is the sensor technology that different where digi's can get such better accuracy? are some using a GPS altitude v. baro, or combination? I would think the baro sensors would be more accurate, unless it's just a new baro sensor v. an older one.

An analog alti is a mechanical device that can fall out of tolerance unless it is tested and adjusted at regular intervals and yes they can wear to the point that they don't calibrate or hold a calibration very long. The electronic sensors being used in todays digital altis are more accurate, do not have moving parts and are more consistent, meaning if you place 4 analog altis side by side, they may have a variance in what they display at certain altitudes. 4 Digital altis placed side by side will read the same altitude. They typically work until they don't, which is usually due to a battery going flat or some sort of damage to the unit that causes it to malfunction. GPS altitude is not as accurate as a simple baro, the reason and explanation goes a bit beyond the topic of this thread and no civilian skydiving altimeter uses a GPS and a Baro to determine altitude. With that said, Alti-2 makes a Military altimeter that has an analog face but electronic guts that is far more durable and accurate than a similar looking mechanical altimeter.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

250 feet +/- seems like an awful lot of altitude variation. .

On the face of it yes, (no puns intended).

How accurate do you need?

Is 250 feet either way going to be a big difference in outcome for you?
-Pull at 4, pull at 3750? (analog with 250ft error)
-Pull at 4, pull at 3975? (digital with 25 feet error)
225 foot difference?

If it is, you have other problems going on that may depend on that 250 feet. You may be spending 225 feet trying to determine if that number is a 6 or an 8.

Besides, you're not going to see a 25 foot reading until you get low enough to have it show you changes in small increments of feet.
At altitude, it's only showing you altitude changes of 100 feet.

Does 250 feet make a difference to a swooper?
You betchya.

When you get to a point that 250 feet is going to be determining life/death factor for you, you should have already had a digital and should have already gotten used to it to the point of complete comfort and confidence.

And to plug the hole before somebody jumps into it... yes, in certain situations 250 feet could be a determining factor....if it gets to that point, you screwed up in some form or fashion and an altimeter of any sort may not save you. You'll be doing other things than staring at an altimeter....hopefully.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
One of each is the recommendation.

IMO, if you can only afford one...get the analog now and save up for the digital.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In my case, at least an digital alti works much better. As a student I used a regular analog. My landing pattern was ok, but i almost never landed at the same spot, regardless of believing to be at the same altitude at fixed points in the pattern.

Off student status I got an N3 and my landing pattern became better and I felt i had more control on my altitude in the landing pattern. I also use an optima 2 both for freefall and canopy alarms.

As for freefall imho the digital alti is much easier to read.

All the features in this alti helps me to fill out my logbook in the end of the day. It keeps track of exit alti,deployment,freefalltime,canopytime,and it has a clock on it. It even tells you how long it is till you reach exit-altitude.

After I took my aff the students at my DZ now is equipped with both digital altis and a dytter. This a after a testperiod which showed everybody that the students landings and landing patterns became better while using this "tools".

As for freefall imho the digital alti is much easier to read.

And it serves you well. Good stuff. You're happier with the digital display and that is what it's really all about.
I just differ, that's all.

All the features in this alti helps me to fill out my logbook in the end of the day. It keeps track of exit alti,deployment,freefalltime,canopytime,and it has a clock on it. It even tells you how long it is till you reach exit-altitude.

All those features are strong selling points for the digitals. Yep. Did you know that they make digitals having all those features with analog faces? I understand that one of those wouldn't suit you but for others, it's out there already.

...As a student I used a regular analog. My landing pattern was ok, but i almost never landed at the same spot, regardless of believing to be at the same altitude at fixed points in the pattern......Off student status I got an N3 and my landing pattern became better a.......students landings and landing patterns became better while using this "tools".

Hmmmm....are you saying that you are dependent on an altimeter to have good landings? I hope not.

So, you already see the problem with relying on an altimeter for landing patterns and accuracy. It's variable wind conditions putting you down in different places when you depend on altitude for accuracy.

My students learn to adjust for wind conditions. I have them enter a pattern at a specific place at 1000 ft and not bother with their altimeter after that. They learn to fly the wind instead of flying and altimeter. Depending on an altimeter at this point could get you into serious trouble. You've already got a slight sense of that. You indicated that when you said the part about, " i almost never landed at the same spot, regardless of believing to be at the same altitude at fixed points in the pattern".

I would suggest that one learn to fly the wind. Learn about the effects of wind direction and speed on landing patterns. Learn to adjust for those varying wind conditions.

Talk to an accuracy competitor. Ask them how much they depend on an altimeter to hit those dead centers.

Good luck in your canopy piloting progression, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ok. I can see your point. I will never be a good canopy pilot because i'm using a digital alti and not an analog :D

I only have 52 jumps and just got my B license so im still a student imho.

Offcourse i set up my pattern according to the wind, but i feel more confident with an alti i can read my altitude more precicely off. For me the analog showed to general altitude below 1k feet.

I did a canopycourse with martin sebastian i z-hills, and he told me to start doing 90' frontrisers on my 22. jump, so I think I might be both a good skydiver and canopy pilot some day :)
Bottom line, I just wanted to say what I think about the topic digital vs analog. I don't ask anyone to read it or comply.

I borrowed a friend of mines Altitrack once and loved it... not that the analog part was any different than other analogs but after the jump my buddy showed me the digital data and that part was really interesting.

I feel like the more data you can get the better a pilot you'll be, even if it isn't 1000% correct.

Am curious to hear people's preference on altimeters, analog v. digital. For jumpers fresh off student status, I feel like the general response will be analog since that's what you just used for the last 20-something jumps, and are getting familiar with it.

Getting deeper into the analog comparisons, what are the thoughts on the Altimaster GIII v. Altitrack?

I do like the log book function, but the pencil and paper route has worked for many year already. My biggest concern is the steps used in the face itself. Does anyone have one and found it slightly confusing at first? Easy/Easier to read?

Still putting together my gear and I know which to get is something I will agonize over, for no good reason.

I really like both for different reasons. I like the analogue for free fall with the red zone. My life was saved by the 'red' on an analogue alti many years ago. Basically I had been jumping a metric altimeter and switched to one in feet. I waited for 1000 to deploy and I can honestly say it was the fact that the needle was in the red that prompted my to deploy ASAP.

I have Galaxy that I use as my primary alti. I also have a Viso 2 that is normally in my helmet, unless I'm planning on doing canopy stuff.

My intention is to mount the Galaxy on the chest pillow that I have, and keep the Viso on my wrist. I just haven't got around to it.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I also have a Viso 2 that is normally in my helmet

A Viso won't do much for you in your helmet. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I also have a Viso 2 that is normally in my helmet

A Viso won't do much for you in your helmet. :D

Smart ass. If I want a digital alti for canopy stuff I wear it on my wrist, otherwise it's in my helmet logging jumps:P
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I've jumped a few and now jump the following configuration on nearly every jump:

3 Neptunes-one on my wrist, one on my legstrap and one in my helmet. The Neptunes are easy to use, light weight and somewhat waterproof (not completely, one of mine has blank lines through the display after spending an hour or so in saltwater). I like having one on my wrist-it's instinctive to look at, I like one on my legstrap for under canopy when setting up my pattern, the one in my helmet serves as an audible. The backlight function is nice for night jumps.

I like Neptune's but will be the first to admit they have their flaws. Mine are currently eating batteries like trailer park kids with candy on halloween-so there is that. I've had a couple of jumps in the past few cold weeks of jumping where only my audible was working very well (the other two died with week old batteries in them).

Alti 2: Reliable (for Freefall), fairly bombproof. Big cons to me is it's weight, it's bulkiness, is uncomfortable to wear all day while changing from jumpsuit to jumpsuit, etc.

Visio 2: L& B makes great stuff, their warranty is awesome. But: I still don't know how to properly turn on/off any of their products (I just push buttons in random patterns till it beeps at me and flashes), It's not waterproof and the display is super hard for me to read for whatever reason. Very complicated with crazy owners manual and super geeked out info that I really don't care to read about.
Lastly-the wrist band mount rolls on my wrist which I find annoying.

Altitrack: It's huge! The military one is heavy. Did I mention it's ginormous? As I said above about L&B-complicated. Maybe I'm a dumbass, but when you get a 35 pg book with it-it has way too many menus, features and operating functions for me.

Solo-used this for an audible for 4 years. Great audible! Small, light, etc. see above about how I turned it on for those 4 years...

For students: Stick with the big analog. NO audible. I was almost killed by a student who was jumping one (he blindly pulled when he heard it, I was following his track above and behind him videoing as a Coach-I know it was a bad place to be, but having a student dump in my face b/c he heard a beep has my mind pretty well made up about the subject).

For those coming off student status: you can jump a digi, if you're worried about being able to read the face; just jump it on your wrist, you can still use the hand mount analog or vice versa. If you are going to start freeflying, etc-get an audible and put some test jumps on it with 2 way jumps or solos. They can be a huge distraction if they don't do what you want them to.

Just my opinions, though. Hope you find one that works for you.

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."