costanza

Altimeter Preference

Am curious to hear people's preference on altimeters, analog v. digital. For jumpers fresh off student status, I feel like the general response will be analog since that's what you just used for the last 20-something jumps, and are getting familiar with it.

Getting deeper into the analog comparisons, what are the thoughts on the Altimaster GIII v. Altitrack?

I do like the log book function, but the pencil and paper route has worked for many year already. My biggest concern is the steps used in the face itself. Does anyone have one and found it slightly confusing at first? Easy/Easier to read?

Still putting together my gear and I know which to get is something I will agonize over, for no good reason.

I prefer an analog altimeter. I like having an altimeter that doesn't rely on batteries.

As far as the logbook function goes, most dz's that I've been to will not accept digital logbooks and require a signed paper one.

Talk to your instructors and determine what gear is best for you.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I wear a Alti-2 Galaxy on my wrist because it doesn't need batteries and an N3 in my helmet for logs and audible warnings.

I think its a great combination. Both devices are easy to use.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Just get whatever you want, it doesn't make that big of a difference. How confused to you get when you look at the digital clock in your car and then later read the analog watch on your wrist?

As far as the batteries go, all of the modern digital altimeters will give you a low-batt warning. Just keep an extra set of whatever type of batteries you need (and the tiny screwdirver to change them) in your gear bag and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend a completely analog alti for your first one. You may decide to go with digital later on, but that's okay - it's never a bad thing to have a completely analog alti in your gear bag as a back up. Batteries die and electronics freak out for no apparent reason on occasion. I use a Neptune now but I won't ever sell my analog.

You'll likely end up with an audible as well. Most of them also include a logbook function. I find that function handy even though I log my jumps on paper - it remembers exit altitude and freefall time much better than I can.

I switched to a digital ~20 jumps ago and wish I'd done it sooner. Very easy to read. For me easier than an analog. Quick glance and I see an 8 and know where I am.

I borrowed one from another jumper to try and bought one before the next load. I have a Viso2 FWIW.

I jumped an analog for 200 jumps before I got my N3 and I don't think I'll ever go back to an analog (except as a chest mount). My digital has a battery meter so I know when the charge is getting low and I can always plug it into a computer when it needs a recharge.

I prefer an analog altimeter. I like having an altimeter that doesn't rely on batteries.

As far as the logbook function goes, most dz's that I've been to will not accept digital logbooks and require a signed paper one.

Agreed across the board.

To add: Should you desire an instructional rating of some sort, most of the Course Directors will want to see logbooks showing jump numbers AND freefall time.

Logbook functions are good for you, bad for getting ratings.

I prefer the analog glowface Altimaster Galaxy. Great all around and great for night jumps.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I wear a Alti-2 Galaxy on my wrist because it doesn't need batteries and an N3 in my helmet for logs and audible warnings.

And analog on the wrist and as digital in the helmet is a great idea too.

And analog on the wrist and as digital in the helmet is a great idea too.

Neptune and pro dyters in my helmet one each side, Alti2 Galaxy on my wrist
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I switched to a digital ~20 jumps ago and wish I'd done it sooner. Very easy to read. For me easier than an analog. Quick glance and I see an 8 and know where I am. .

To each his own. Having to stop and focus on a number to be sure you didn't confuse that 6 with an 8 is problematic for me whereas a needle pointing in a direction like the clock faces I grew up with is not.

I switched to a digital ~20 jumps ago and wish I'd done it sooner. Very easy to read. For me easier than an analog. Quick glance and I see an 8 and know where I am. .

To each his own. Having to stop and focus on a number to be sure you didn't confuse that 6 with an 8 is problematic for me whereas a needle pointing in a direction like the clock faces I grew up with is not.

I agree with that. I do better with "Needle and Dial" guages than with a digital readout. But others are the exact opposite.
It has a lot to do with what you grew up with.

I've met some "young'uns" who had a hard time reading an analog watch. Others have little or no understanding of the terms "clockwise" and "counterclockwise."

Really, :S

I don't think they'd do so well with a Galaxy, now would they. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I've met some "young'uns" who had a hard time reading an analog watch. Others have little or no understanding of the terms "clockwise" and "counterclockwise."

Really, :S

True dat.
[:/]

I don't think they'd do so well with a Galaxy, now would they. :P

Depends on which galaxy they are from now doesn't it?
:D:D:P

Just be sure they don't get polarized lenses in their goggles. Some lenses can blank out that LED screen.

Ask to borrow one of each and see which one you like better.

Each person is going to have a different answer and it will all depend on what they like.

I prefer analog. My reason is I can just glance at it and know about where I am and how much longer I have till pull time. With a digital, I have to actually read it. This works great for me since the only thing I care about is how far I am from "X" altitude (Exit/pull/cutaway). And the fact is that I have been using one for 18 years. But I think the same way with car speedometers, I prefer to see the range and where I am in that range than just reading a number.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i was jumping an analog and then got an n2 on loan from a buddy who doesnt jump much. i have the n2 on my wrist and a protrac in my helmet with freefly alarms. i like the n2 because of the low buik and while a digital can quit on you (happened to me in the middle of a night jump) an analog can freak out as well. a lot of people also tend to rely on their audibles a lot so make it a habit to always check your wrist alti during the skydive. never forget you have two built in altimeters in your head called your eyes. if ground rush is noticeable, you feel like youre falling into a "bowl" or you can see in windows on a house its time to pull no matter what your altis say ;)

"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

A lot of people mention batteries dying in a digital, but they seem to forget that analogs need a little gentle care or they will go out of calibration.

Within the last year I had to send in an Alti3 for service it came back still out of calibration. I bought a new Alti galaxy in the meantime and it was sticking on the way down as well. BRAND NEW and already needed service. So now I have 2 Galaxies that now function.

So while you may need to change batteries, if you do a proper gear check you can see if your battery is dying on a digital altimeter before you get in a plane. An analog however you can't tell if its wrong unless ya are in the air (or have a pressure chamber to check it).

I personally use a VISO, the Analogs were for students.

Something to keep in mind and not everyone is aware of is that analog alti's typically have a +/- of 250 feet and are considered within tolerance. Digital alti's on the other hand typically will read the correct altitude within a more exact tolerance,usually within 10-25 feet or less. Both have their merits and their detractors, its a matter of finding what fits into your personal needs.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING