nigel99

Preserving your BOC spandax

Yesterday someone suggested to me that when my gear is not being jumped for a period of time, I should NOT stow the pilot chute in the BOC, to preserve the life of the spandax.

Has anyone else ever heard of that advice? It seems logical enough and I don't see any downside to doing this.

I do it out of habit because someone told me it was a good idea and made sense. It's not that much trouble to repack before the start of the day and it has worked out for me. Couldn't hurt right...
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Yes there is a downside, it's giving you the false sense of not worrying and saying its ok not to jump for long periods of time! :D:D

But seriously, never really thought of that and seems like a good idea

Depending upon where you store your rig perhaps in a closet or whatnot shouldn't be a problem so long as your pc isn't near a high "movement" area where things could be potentially snag on it while getting something.

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

This is not a piece of advice that I've either received, or given.

Spandex gets damaged through use over time. Stretching it open over and over again, plus some of the sketchiness gets lost over time. I've not heard nor seen anything to suggest that leaving it with a pilot chute inside gives any kind of excessive damage.

I personally own rigs that have contained pilot chutes for 10 years without any sign of wear to the spandex.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The pocket probably is stretched the worst at the time that the PC is pushed into it - so taking it out means that you're stretching it the most more often.

Also, after packing, I punch down on the pocket to get it much flatter than it would be otherwise. After such puncking down, it is hardly stretched out, so I think there would be no damage at all to leaving it like that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I personally own rigs that have contained pilot chutes for 10 years without any sign of wear to the spandex.

_Am

Then you need to jump more Andy:ph34r::ph34r:
I have 800+ on my rig and have had the BOC replaced about 100 jumps ago. It didnt "NEED" to be replaced, but it was noticeably looser than when new.
Ounce of prevention, if you know what I mean
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yesterday someone suggested to me that when my gear is not being jumped for a period of time, I should NOT stow the pilot chute in the BOC, to preserve the life of the spandax.

Has anyone else ever heard of that advice? It seems logical enough and I don't see any downside to doing this.

There is a lot better way: sell your gear if you don;t jump it and jump the money you get it for that. ;)

I have 800+ on my rig and have had the BOC replaced about 100 jumps ago. It didnt "NEED" to be replaced, but it was noticeably looser than when new.

The spandex was looser? Or the 1" elastic at the mouth of the pocket was looser, possibly with the zigzag stitching broken? Both? If it was just the spandex that was looser, do you think that would matter much?

Mark

There is a lot better way: sell your gear if you don;t jump it and jump the money you get it for that. ;)

I jump one day a month. As others have commented I don't see any harm and I have a gear bag, so snags aren't a problem.

I jump one day a month. As others have commented I don't see any harm and I have a gear bag, so snags aren't a problem.

With all due respect, doing a preservation rain dance before storing it away for another month won't hurt either. As far as I'm concerned, neither approach offers any meaningful benefit.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The spandex was looser? Or the 1" elastic at the mouth of the pocket was looser, possibly with the zigzag stitching broken? Both? If it was just the spandex that was looser, do you think that would matter much?

Mark

1 Inch elastic, was looser
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When I started jumping containers were built with “pack opening bands” on them. Everyone told me not to hook up the bands on my B-4 because it would wear them out. One day I day sitting on the packing table and looking at my gear and to thinking…if you hook up the bands on your main for one week the will go bad but you leave the bands hooked up in your reserve for 60 days, that was a re-pack cycle then. That’s when I realized that a lot of what you are told amounted to “myth” or legend”.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/Skydiving/4044101190_a6c31772ce_o.jpg

Like everything else it depends on how well you care for your gear. The pouch will probably last longer than most jumpers will be in the sport.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

On a similar note, a long time jumper and a very well known Master Rigger Moe Viletto has told me something that makes perfect sense as far as the pack opening bands are concerned :

Most of the wear on the bands happens when the band is being hooked up to the eyelet, as at that point you actually stretch the the elastic more than it would be stretched if it was already set. Made sense to me.
To further add data to my point I recently had a chest reserve which had sat with the bands attached since 1983 - that's 29 years of storage - the bands were nice and elastic and did not feel stretched out.

I am guessing this can be extrapolated to the spandex BOC's as well.

My other data comes from getting many rigs that have sat with the PCs packed up for 5-10-20 years and there's no imprint of the PC in the pouch, nor have I noticed any loss in elasticity.

Hope this is helpful

Hi Paul ( I hope that I got the name correct ),

you actually stretch the the elastic

There is no elastic in a military-style POB, as shown in Sparky's photos.

They are built of ParaPak and numerous metal springs.

Get an old one & take it apart and you will see.

Just for the 'want to know' folks,

JerryBaumchen

There is no elastic in a military-style POB, as shown in Sparky's photos.

They are built of ParaPak and numerous metal springs.

Get an old one & take it apart and you will see.

Just for the 'want to know' folks,

Learned that the hard way when I tried to sew through one about 2 years back. :P
=========Shaun ==========

this is more common on base rigs where you have a large pilot chute stuffed into the BOC. not much of an issue with a 42 etc but a 46 left in the BOC for awhile has a noticeable effect on the BOC. dont see it being much of an issue with a skydiving pc though plus it looks neater!
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"