MarcoP

How many rigs are sold in a year in the US? (non-military)

Your going to get a wide variety of answers, although I don't think any TSO'd gear manufactures are working out of there garage with only 2 people.

You will have extremes like Altico that makes the Dolphin is probably not going to sell as many harness/containers as Sunpath that makes the Javelin.

Maybe someone with some inside info could give us a rough idea how many they sell per year...
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Your going to get a wide variety of answers, although I don't think any TSO'd gear manufactures are working out of there garage with only 2 people.

You will have extremes like Altico that makes the Dolphin is probably not going to sell as many harness/containers as Sunpath that makes the Javelin.

Maybe someone with some inside info could give us a rough idea how many they sell per year...

Not so terribly long ago, early 90s, there was a rig being made by one person (the owner of the company) above the small hanger/packing area of a certain DZ. They have since changed ownership, location, the design has evolved, and there is a slightly larger group of people building them.

It would be interesting to know what the production staff is for the various mfgs. I like the idea of the group of people that actually do it to not be so large.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Here are the main US sport harness/container manufacturers

Strong Enterprises (Quasar II), UPT Vector (Vector III), Sunpath (Javelin), Mirage Systems (Mirage G3), Velocity (Infinity), Rigging Innovations (Talon), Altico (Dolphin), Sunrise (Wings).

UPT Vector has made over 50 000 sport rigs in 35 years which makes about 1500 rigs/year average.
Sunpath with the Javelin has made the most popular rig in the 90s and early 2000s but since UPT Vector has offered the Skyhook, it seems that its production has been quite boosted.

If I had to take a guess I would say that between 5000 and 7000 rigs are made every year in the US (an average). Any comments....
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hi SERE,

I don't think any TSO'd gear manufactures are working out of there garage with only 2 people.

Wanna bet?

One, well known gear mfr, was down to just himself when I talked with him last year.

It is all about production/sales levels; why else did UPT just build a much larger bldg?

JerryBaumchen

PS) While I only currently do PEP rigs, it is just me. :P

Hi Sparky,

As you say, '. . . a bit dated . . .' but a few years ago I received the survey and questionaire. They wanted to know how many parachutes a year I could produce if warranted.

Uh, would you mind if I take a PASS on that.

:P

Sorta tough for a 1-man operation to kick out 10,000 whatevers a year.

But it was very interesting to read.

JerryBaumchen

PS) As I always tell the FAA when they ask, if I lay even one person off then I am out of business.

Here are the main US sport harness/container manufacturers

Strong Enterprises (Quasar II), UPT Vector (Vector III), Sunpath (Javelin), Mirage Systems (Mirage G3), Velocity (Infinity), Rigging Innovations (Talon), Altico (Dolphin), Sunrise (Wings).

UPT Vector has made over 50 000 sport rigs in 35 years which makes about 1500 rigs/year average.
Sunpath with the Javelin has made the most popular rig in the 90s and early 2000s but since UPT Vector has offered the Skyhook, it seems that its production has been quite boosted.

If I had to take a guess I would say that between 5000 and 7000 rigs are made every year in the US (an average). Any comments....

I think the 5-7,000 a year number is about right for harness and container systems. However, a lot more canopies are made. UPT now employes about 100 people. Once our expanded facilities are up and running, we should be able to manufacture about 2,500 rigs a year.

Bill, Your company has grown quite bit since i met you in the early 80's at one of the Freak bros conventions,,,its quite the operation,,is it still fun ?

One of the downsides of getting older (I'm 65 now) is that almost nothing is quite as much fun as it used to be. However, getting older sure beats the alternative. And besides, it's fun to sit back and watch your children grow, both my real children and my inventions. So far at least, everyone is healthy and happy, and so am I.