rayvaci

Parachute

Hey,

I am getting my license to skydive by myself since my goal is to start base-jumping. I looked the form for parachute reviews. There is not much of information provided. In other words, i found it not enough to make a purchase. Can someone guide me on what i should buy? What is best out-there?

Thank You

Hey,

I am getting my license to skydive by myself since my goal is to start base-jumping. I looked the form for parachute reviews. There is not much of information provided. In other words, i found it not enough to make a purchase. Can someone guide me on what i should buy? What is best out-there?

Thank You

Sure. As soon as you tell us what's the best car out there.

What you want as a skydiver is likely different than what you would want as a base jumper.

Learn to skydive first. Along the way, hang out in the base forum, and learn everything you can there. Once you've become a proficient skydiver, then you can start worrying about a base rig.

get a Velo 84. Look them up on YouTube to see how awesome they are.

velo 84 supports more of velocity, i believe. Also, i want to ask to the forum.

What you want as a skydiver is likely different than what you would want as a BASE jumper.
Learn to skydive first. Along the way, hang out in the base forum, and learn everything you can there. Once you've become a proficient skydiver, then you can start worrying about a base rig.

What is the difference for selecting a parachute for basejumping and skydiving? Also, i am just discussing ideas with you guys(friendly reminder).

Here's a list of a lot of the different brands of parachute out there...
http://www.dropzone.com/...rachutes/index.shtml

I looked at those before i opened up the subject. besides that, i am wondering what is your personal choice and why. Just curious.

If you already know that you are going to be a base jumper then you should make your presense known at the DZ. BASE jumpers just lead the crowd and are envied by everybody, so getting to try out different canopies won't be hard at all. Once you are done with the studnet canopies, meant for those without skills then you can quickly get ready for the Velocity. The Velo 84 sounds like a great first choice so you can master the performance landing. Let's face it, all base jumpers use these boring big canopies to land and it is not exciting to watch. When you show everyone your skills of masterfully landing a velocity on a slider down jump then no one will forget your name. Hope you waste no time through this progression and don't forget to tell your new friends to invite me on your ash jump. Blue skies

I've been jumping for almost a year and just bought my first parachute. I can't possibly tell you what is 'the best,' but this is what I did to make my decision:

1. Try out a bunch of different canopies. I tried a Navigator, Spectre, Sabre 2, Silohuette, etc. They all had their own unique characteristics. Talk to your instructors about the different models and ask what they recommend for a beginner.

2. I bought a used parachute. New ones are apparently a lot harder to pack, as the fabric is slick. I talked to a rigger and he recommended buying something more 'broken in' if I wanted to start packing right away.

3. Talk with an instructor about the differences between 9 and 7 cell chutes, elliptical and square chutes, etc.

4. Talk with an instructor about an appropriate wing loading for your first chute.

5. When you've made your decision, do a few demo jumps on the chute you want to buy. Try some terminal openings and some hop and pop openings.

6. Watch a few people eat sh_t as they come in to land. Feel the impact in your shoes as someone digs a hole to China with their knees ten feet away from you.

Item number six had a profound influence on my decision to buy a larger, docile canopy for my first chute :)

Good luck, and save them pennies!
--------------------------
That which can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.

What is the difference for selecting a parachute for basejumping and skydiving?

If you don't know the difference, you are not ready to do basejumping. It's this simple, really, if you want to grow old enough to tell your grandchildren about your juvenile adventures. No, even stricter: If you want to survive the first jump off a rock.

(sarcasm on) But if you're gonna do it, do not forget to have three GoPros attached to be pried from your cold ... erm... (sarcasm off)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

OK Little Brother... Now that you've been given enough shit, let me lay it out for you. You stepped in here with a request for assistance on making a "buy" decision, and not a request for learning or direction towards base-jumping.

Is it possible to buy a rig and go hurl yourself off a rock. Yes. The probabilities for survival are next to zero. So, the path towards achieving your goal is this: One you need to make at least 200 skydives. Recognize this - You'll need instruction in Base-Jumping. Most base-jumping Instructors are also skydiving Instructors and will not touch you with less than 200 skydives.

The reason is... you need a lot more knowledge that is acquired in skydiving LIKE, packing, winds, spotting, canopy control, landing, varying size and types of parachutes, the list goes on. Not to mention learning how to build our internal clock which is much more serious when one has much less reaction time for a base jump than for a skydive.

Skydiving rigs and Base jumping rigs are really quite different and this takes time to learn. If you're really serious about base jumping, walk on to any dropzone and FIRST discuss and learn about skydiving. We've been flip with you for a reason.

In almost 99% of the those cases where someone comes on here ringing the base-jumping bell... it's more about doing something that might get them some pussy than it is about being passionate about jumping. If you're serious about it, then learn. If you're not, then go buy a Harley... the cost of entry is about the same for both.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you already know that you are going to be a base jumper then you should make your presense known at the DZ. BASE jumpers just lead the crowd and are envied by everybody, so getting to try out different canopies won't be hard at all. Once you are done with the studnet canopies, meant for those without skills then you can quickly get ready for the Velocity. The Velo 84 sounds like a great first choice so you can master the performance landing. Let's face it, all base jumpers use these boring big canopies to land and it is not exciting to watch. When you show everyone your skills of masterfully landing a velocity on a slider down jump then no one will forget your name. Hope you waste no time through this progression and don't forget to tell your new friends to invite me on your ash jump. Blue skies

I can not describe how much i want to dive...

I've been jumping for almost a year and just bought my first parachute. I can't possibly tell you what is 'the best,' but this is what I did to make my decision:

1. Try out a bunch of different canopies. I tried a Navigator, Spectre, Sabre 2, Silohuette, etc. They all had their own unique characteristics. Talk to your instructors about the different models and ask what they recommend for a beginner.

2. I bought a used parachute. New ones are apparently a lot harder to pack, as the fabric is slick. I talked to a rigger and he recommended buying something more 'broken in' if I wanted to start packing right away.

3. Talk with an instructor about the differences between 9 and 7 cell chutes, elliptical and square chutes, etc.

4. Talk with an instructor about an appropriate wing loading for your first chute.

5. When you've made your decision, do a few demo jumps on the chute you want to buy. Try some terminal openings and some hop and pop openings.

6. Watch a few people eat sh_t as they come in to land. Feel the impact in your shoes as someone digs a hole to China with their knees ten feet away from you.

Item number six had a profound influence on my decision to buy a larger, docile canopy for my first chute :)

Good luck, and save them pennies!

Thank You So Much for the heads up. It is better to buy used since you stated that it is broken in (easy to pack).

OK Little Brother... Now that you've been given enough shit, let me lay it out for you. You stepped in here with a request for assistance on making a "buy" decision, and not a request for learning or direction towards base-jumping.

Is it possible to buy a rig and go hurl yourself off a rock. Yes. The probabilities for survival are next to zero. So, the path towards achieving your goal is this: One you need to make at least 200 skydives. Recognize this - You'll need instruction in Base-Jumping. Most base-jumping Instructors are also skydiving Instructors and will not touch you with less than 200 skydives.

The reason is... you need a lot more knowledge that is acquired in skydiving LIKE, packing, winds, spotting, canopy control, landing, varying size and types of parachutes, the list goes on. Not to mention learning how to build our internal clock which is much more serious when one has much less reaction time for a base jump than for a skydive.

Skydiving rigs and Base jumping rigs are really quite different and this takes time to learn. If you're really serious about base jumping, walk on to any dropzone and FIRST discuss and learn about skydiving. We've been flip with you for a reason.

In almost 99% of the those cases where someone comes on here ringing the base-jumping bell... it's more about doing something that might get them some pussy than it is about being passionate about jumping. If you're serious about it, then learn. If you're not, then go buy a Harley... the cost of entry is about the same for both.

It has been indeed good discussion since i acknowledged more. I want to thank you all with jokes attached. I am discussing this since i am currently in Turkey, but i started diving in NY upstate. People might have less knowledge and experience here, which is the reason why i opened up a discussion.