richardw38

which fullface helmet

You're about to get a pile of people all telling you what they have, and how much they like it. This will be interesting, and useful, but not as useful as knowing this:

All the helmets are different shapes. People's heads are different shapes too. One person's OMG-comfiest-helmet-evarr will be another's couldnt-wedge-it-closed-ow-my-brain.

Try on a bunch of different full-faces, and see how they feel. Then, buy the one that makes you look most badass :P

[edit: speling]

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

What he said.
I can't wear a Z1 comfortably; I take a medium Freezr and a large or XL (don't remember which) Oxygn. So yeah, try them on.

All of them are OK. None of them provide excellent head protection.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Check the cost of visor replacement. I had a Freezr and loved it but the visor lugs were a weak point and when I realised that the price of 2 replacement visors (in the UK) would nearly buy me a new Factory Diver, couldn't justify keeping the Freezr except as a spare to wear with goggles.
Anne

Hi guys,

I want to get a fullface helmet. I like the look of the Z1, and want to do RW and Freefly stuff.

Does anyone have any recommendations? How is the Z1 for fogging? Do you think there are any better options?

thanks
Rich

Just my .02 on what I have jumped... I had a BH Mamba and really liked the helmet. No real complaints. The visor locked well but the visor did splinter a lot. I just got a G3 and I have to say for my head the fit is perfect. As was said above that will all depend on your melon though. Why I really like the G3 is how much I can see. I never really thought of this as an issue with the Mamba but now jumping with the G3 I realize how much more I can see around me without turning my head and how easy it is to see my handles. The locking mechanism on it is great as well. I would jump a Mamba and be happy but I really love my new G3.... there are reviews of the two I have jumped but remember to try what you are going to buy on and looking bad ass is what matters most. B|
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

I was disappointed in my Z1, even though I've had it for 900+ jumps. The visor hinges are the weak point, two cheap 1/2 turn snap screws that take wear with normal removal and insertion.

Just my .02, my biggest beef with most full face helmets is that they are all generally overpriced. I'm going to buy a factory diver next....it seems to be the biggest bang for your buck:|

=========Shaun ==========

Thanks for the replies and PM's Guys,

I know asking "what is the best..." is an impossible question, but I am nowhere near any shops, so the only way to try them on is to ask around at the DZ (which I will do). Thanks for your input, I will try on as many as I can when I am next at the DZ and go from there.

You're about to get a pile of people all telling you what they have, and how much they like it. This will be interesting, and useful, but not as useful as knowing this:

All the helmets are different shapes. People's heads are different shapes too. One person's OMG-comfiest-helmet-evarr will be another's couldnt-wedge-it-closed-ow-my-brain.

Try on a bunch of different full-faces, and see how they feel. Then, buy the one that makes you look most badass :P

[edit: speling]

This is spot on.

I just finished doing a lot of my personal research on my first helmet. Just look at what is important to you and weed candidates out based on that. You DEFINITELY need to try them on though. Luckily, I was able to try on my top two choices, G3 and Revolve, at ChutingStar beforehand. Good thing too. Based on Bonehead's website I should be wearing a medium, but actually the XXL is all that would fit me. With the G3 I would have needed an XL, but had some slight fitment issues with it.

I was really torn between the two, but I ended up picking up a Revolve. I still like the G3, a lot, and may get one later on, but I am very content with the Revolve. I jumped it a few times this past weekend, and I enjoyed it, especially being able to open it under canopy. With this warm weather, I plan to switch it to open face before I jump again, another big bonus for the revolve(two helmets in one). Also, being able to open it and talk on the plane is useful too.

G3 for me as well. I like the side pockets inside the helmet. Still fits well with a Protrack installed for an audible altimeter. The only G3 draw back I have seen to date was the "was supposed to be fixed" anti fog issue that has renders the top 1/5 of my visor kinda checker cracked. I've reported this to the MFG and they have acknowledged a similar issue with the prior models and have promised to send me a replacement when they resolve the issue.

Further wearing sunglasses under the G3 with the Protrack is comfortable as well. Also, where I would normally wear a Large Helmet, the G3's XL worked better for me.

I've had a Z1 for almost 7 years I think. Replaced the visor once in it. Never had issues with fogging. Good locking mechanism, comfortable etc. Great for rel and you can freefly with it as well. That said it is a dated design and there are some newer helmets out there. The cookie G3 is very popular at the moment and looks like a good helmet, but I've never tried one.

I ended up getting a G3 (XL)...if only because it was the only one that fit my noggin. Tried on most of the "popular" lids out there. Really liked the Factory Diver (plus the price point) but it simply didn't fit well.

I really do like the field of vision that I get out of the G3. Plus once I forgot to strap it on and it stayed on my head through opening so that is a bonus...

once I forgot to strap it on and it stayed on my head through opening so that is a bonus...

Hell yeah! That would a sucky way to blow four hundred bucks...

[edit: lost a helmet and ditter that way once early on, I know of which I speak B|]
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

once I forgot to strap it on and it stayed on my head through opening so that is a bonus...

Hell yeah! That would a sucky way to blow four hundred bucks...

[edit: lost a helmet and ditter that way once early on, I know of which I speak B|]

Same goes with a faulty strap. Been there....;)