shah269

New Suit? Worth it at so few jumps?

Hola!
N00B here with under 100 jumps who is still trying to figure out if he can do everything from belly to head down and what he likes most.
I am currently jumping a second hand some what ill fitting Tony Suit belly fly suit that works well.
Is it worth it for me to invest in a new suit?
Thank you!
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Having the right tool for the job is always worth it. If the suit does not fit properly it will build bad habbits/ hender your ability. If the main body of the suit is too tight in the crotch it will not allow you to arch as far as you should be able too,same would be true about the chest.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Right now the suit i have is a bit long on the legs so i have to really stretch my feet to get it to work.
But nothing major it works. I think?
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

It depends on how far you want to go with skydiving. If you plan on competing, teaching or participating in bigwasy/records, then investing in a good custom suit is a must. But if all you intend to do is fun jumps then it might not be necessary to get anything else.

Right now the suit i have is a bit long on the legs so i have to really stretch my feet to get it to work.

If that's all it is, it's a fairly easy jobbie to take the pantlegs in a bit. Talk to your friendly rigger.

Of course if it's the wrong color, then than you do need to buy a new one.

sound like you need to take in the legs about an inch or slightly more - if you are pointing your toes to max just to get a bit of feeling from the bootie, then you aren't really creating good habits

Until you decide to get a new suit, or a bootie rebuild, the easiest way to pull the stretch in, is to simply put a dart in between the instep portion and the shin of the bootie (pretty much front of the ankle joint). You'll definitely need nylon rigger's thread (military grade nylon thread). The dart will get a lot of pressure so you need that STRONG thread.

A dart is pretty much just a single fold that's sewn shut - so remember, a one inch fold will remove 2 inches of stretch (1" down, 1" back). I'd try to do a small dart at first and then have someone that knows 4-way check your bootie fit.

It's easy to put in and easy to take out.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If the suit is too long, did you remove the bootie extensions that were installed to make it fit a taller jumper?
What type of shoes are you jumping in? If they are sleek runners, get a pair of really chunky skate shoes. The larger shoe will fill up the toe of the bootie and take up some of the slack.

And don't be hatin' on the suit. It was a damn good price.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

monkycndo
I'm sorry the one you sent me didn't fit [:/]
And the zipper blew out when I zipped it. Still need to fix it and can you please send me your mailing address so that I can send it back to you.

No this is one i got from a friend for $100. She's old...not exactly "hip" but it works.
But i can get the leg length reduced? Hu cool? I'll talk to my rigger and see if he can adjust them.

Thanks guys!

N00B here with under 100 jumps who is still trying to figure out if he can do everything from belly to head down and what he likes most.
I am currently jumping a second hand some what ill fitting Tony Suit belly fly suit that works well.

Yes. Have the Tony Suit altered to fit you better, and buy a freefly suit. Now you have correct fitting suits for different types of dives.

When you have your Tony Suit altered, be sure that you are wearing your rig with the leg straps tightened when you get measured for the alterations. It makes a huge difference when setting the length of booties.

Hola!
Thank you!

You need to fall at the same speed as the people you're jumping with in a neutral enough body position that you can still move.

Providing some place to take grips other than your leg hair is a fine idea too.

If you've got that covered you don't need a new suit.

Many people need more drag for free flying, so it's likely the same suit won't work well for belly to earth and other body positions.

Thank you gus! I'll have to ask my rigger if he can alter the suit!
Thanks! :)

Hola!
Thank you!

Hi #2

Sure is :)
Your very welcome