jrjny

What's the most you'd pay for an AAD (if you have one)

While I agree that the safety an AAD provides is priceless, I'm not willing to pay more than Dealer Cost + Reasonable comission. Look, just because it's 'worth it' doesn't mean I'm going to pay higher than a fair market value.
=========Shaun ==========

I fly the Cyprus 2, I paid $1,500.00 USD for it. I will sometimes forget to turn it on, and sometimes I'll dissarm it myself, depending on the dive. I believe we all know no matter what kind of rig you fly etc...When you jump out of the jump ship, it may and could be the last sane thing you do. If your not willing to deal w/ that, quit.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

I doubt you'll catch any flak for saying that but I honestly can't say I've ever not looked at it less than 3x before putting on my rig. Wow. And not because I expect to need it but because it can open my reserve if it wants to...it better say 0.

Agreed in general but the purpose of the question is to see if people would pay 3 or 4 grand for a CYPRES if it really was the expensive.

As a noob, just curious... I get why you might forget to turn it on (oops?!)... but on what kind of jump would you disarm it? Crew? Do you plan on pulling low? Can't the altitude for it to fire at be adjusted? (I thought so, but now I'm not sure, and I don't own one)... Again, just curious.
Edited to add: No matter what kind of jump, it's just a machine, and we have to accept the consequences of our own actions.

As a noob, just curious... I get why you might forget to turn it on (oops?!)... but on what kind of jump would you disarm it? Crew? Do you plan on pulling low? Can't the altitude for it to fire at be adjusted? (I thought so, but now I'm not sure, and I don't own one)... Again, just curious.
Edited to add: No matter what kind of jump, it's just a machine, and we have to accept the consequences of our own actions.

I have intentionally left mine off despite being a STRONG proponent of them. The ONLY times that come to mind were when I was going for a demo in an open cockpit aircraft with a pilot I knew had a habit of entertaining himself on the way to altitude if he thought we had enough time... NO more concerning thing than being in the middle of a wing-over at 1000' wondering if we had been high enough for it to arm or decending fast/far enough for it to fire.

Old pilot, couldn't be told better. :S

My choice was to turn it off when it was his turn to fly me... though I avoided him when I could. Fortunatley he retired shortly after that event and never had a jumper extracted.

It was a mix of politics, safety and personal choice.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Given the firing parameters of Cypres, Argus, or Even Vigil (let's not assume swoop mode here..) I have a hard time imagining when/why one would plan a dive that would put them at risk for AAD activation.

Let's say worst case scenario - cloud base is 2k, you and your buddies get a load going, and you're skimming the bottom of the clouds for a low hop & pop. I have no problem exiting at 2k, but that would mean pulling immediatly and still have 1200' to drop below the required 73 feet/second by 800'.
=========Shaun ==========

(not sure if you were replying to me, or in general...)
I was not concerned about my planned altitudes once out (exit at 3,500'), but the aerobatics being performed on the way up in an open cock-pit aircraft where an extraction was a real possibility.
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

No, you should not spend more than fair market value. By the time I need another new one, I could see them costing well over 2 grand, maybe even 3. And by that time jump tickets will probably be $40, in which case I'll only be jumping if I'm being paid for it. $100 for 2 jumps and 2 pack jobs will be a little ridiculous, but that's the way it goes.

So most likely I'll never have to buy a new AAD again

There is no option for less than current pricing.
The second range is $1399.
The third range is $999.
The fourth range is $1.

That would be under the thread titled "What's the least you'd pay for an AAD (if you have one)"

I think you really missunderstood that.

If I "really" needed it, I would give everything that I have and go out and borrow more, if necessary!

Since none of use have that opportunity, I would pay what ever the free market would charge for an electronic piece of equipment that is meant to open my reserve, if I'm not able or haven't opened my parachute above ~1,000 feet.
Dano

I would pay more than the current price of $1500. Throughout the lifespan of an AAD, thats only .34 cents a day. If I had to put a value of my life on paper, its more than the price of any AAD.

Let's say that someone invents a magic safety device for automobiles, say, something that would envelope your entire body in a giant airbag inside an eggshell, and retract all protruding objects like the steering wheel, and it would do all this in a fraction of a second just an instant before an impending impact with an object. It's so effective that it will save your life and prevent serious injuries in any crash under 60 mph.

The only problem is that it costs $10,000 to install.

So, are you going to quit driving until you can afford to have this magic crash system installed in your car? Or, because of the cost, are you going to go ahead and continue to drive, knowing that 40,000 people per year die in traffic accidents, and assume the risk of driving as you are without it?

After all, during the 6-year lifespan of that car, that's only $4.50 per day. Isn't your life worth $4.50?

And what about all the people who can't afford that kind of expenditure, because they just don't have that amount of disposable income - should they be called "foolhardy" for not buying one of these magic safety devices?

If I "really" needed it, I would give everything that I have and go out and borrow more, if necessary!

Since none of use have that opportunity, I would pay what ever the free market would charge for an electronic piece of equipment that is meant to open my reserve, if I'm not able or haven't opened my parachute above ~1,000 feet.

An AAD does not open your reserve************>:(

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

An AAD does not open your reserve************>:(

I'm sure that you don't mean to, but with respect, playing with words (cut a closing loop better!) seems to occupy the time of many on this forum and does nothing to
promote safety. Would you prefer that no one use an AAD?

Sparky

Dano