J0nathan

What makes AADs so expensive ?

Some standard prices:
Paragear '93-'94 Cypres 1 = $1225
Paragear '11-'12 Cypres 2 = $1425

Someone wanna run the Cypres 1 through the inflation calculator?

Do we need to include exchange rates as a variable as well? Or are Cypres prices set independent of that? (I don't actually know the answer to this question, but I've heard people mention the exchange rate as a reason for increasing prices).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

IIRC there are only 8 or so vendors in the US for Airtec, everyone else selling them in the US orders from one of those vendors. I worked for at least one of those vendors and will tell you the price varies with exchange rate when buying direct from the manufacturer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

apparently, people have no problems spending 600$ on a friggin' phone that MAYBE last them two years, but they have a problem spending 1200$ for a device that last them 12yrs to save their lives; says a lot about people, doesnt it!?

That is a really good point. Another thing that pisses me off is the guy that will skip buying an AAD talking about the cost, but will drop 1k dollars on tunnel time.

While we are on it... people who spend several thousand a year and then don't have health insurance claiming it is too expensive.

Some people's priorities are messed up.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

While we are on it... people who spend several thousand a year and then don't have health insurance claiming it is too expensive.

Then having a hard landing, and since they skydive for a living having no insurance, they go to the ER and get free treatment.

FWIW, I have full medical coverage for life.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

In May of 02, I got a cypres I for a little over $900. The timing with exchange rates was really good.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

but seriously a technology thats 20 years old.. still cost the same price? I call bullshit!

The problem is, a CYPRES in 2012 is more advanced than a CYPRES of 1994. And if you send in your CYPRES it will get the latest firmware, a new battery if needed and any part that shows any sign of wear replaced free of charge.
That bullshit? :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Paragear '11-'12 Cypres 2 = $1425

Someone wanna run the Cypres 1 through the inflation calculator?

RUnning it through an inflaction calculator comes up with $1,225.00 in 1993 dollars equalling $1,920.02.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Some standard prices:

Sure but you could pay a _lot_ less with the strong dollar versus the Deutsche Mark and DZOs who were selling them at cost because they thought everyone should have an AAD

I paid $850 for one of mine in 1998 and $900 for one in 2000.

In 2010 dollars that's $1131 and $1128 respectively.