paratekk

Quick ejector question

Hello everybody. I've seen several drawn pictures of quick ejectors with a piece of narrow ribbon or webbing attached to the lever that moves the ejector mechanism. Does anybody have a close up picture of one of these? Also did they just cut a slot in the lever to feed the webbing through or how do they affix the webbing to the lever? Any info would be helpful, thanks much.

Why do you want to copy that?

I've always considered that a really bad idea. They're called quick ejectors because when you pull on them it ejects the attachment ring from the hook, and your leg straps fall off. Do you really want something hanging from them that could catch on something and cause them to quick-eject accidentally?

I have several dozen quick ejectors and want to modify a few various projects. I'm not utilizing these for harness fittings.

There are a few ways to do it, you can drill holes on either side of the finger slots and run a line through the hole, another is a single hole in the rear of the backbone with a eye-bolt and nut.

I use QE's set up like that for boot bracket releases...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Or look at the side connectors on some tandem rigs. Some places add straps to allow popping the quick ejectors more easily. It can be a simple as a cord tied or finger trapped around the lever, on the thin part just ahead of the big U-shaped grip area. Knot the far end of the cord to provide a grip. I've seen closing loop material used, heavy canopy line, even pullup cords, whatever.

Not as much leverage as if one cut a slot or something further out towards the end of the lever, but simpler.

Binding tape works ok . Usually its done on lower tandem passenger connectors. If the harness was loose it can be tough to dis connect. I have seen pull up cords used too. I made some with gutted 550 line finger trapped. The original reason they were on only Navy Harnesses was to get loose from a sinking harnees on water landings

Here are a couple examples, the first is a release lanyard used on military equipment.

The second is an example that you can use with gutted 550 suspension line, binding tape, ect. You want it to lay flat as possible. I just used cable as a reference.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Thanks everybody, this was exactly the information I was looking for!!

Hi 'Tekkie!!,
:D:DFunny you should mention that! There was a time, back in the day, when all there was, was B-12 Snaps!! then someone showed up at the DZ with a rig with ejectors!! Got to be the rage till a few came un done in free fall!! "EG!!!" Mid 60's at I think it, no it was a Pascagoula (Cotton Belt Council for those that can remember!!) meet, Herb Golden from Louisiana Skydivers and one of the hottest Style competors in the South goes out on a style jump and the judges missed him on the telemeters.....did this on 2 jumps in a row!! (Just to let you know, Herb was jumping a Bell Helmet, French Boots, a Pioneer Jumpsuit, and a Security System [often referred to as a Kelvinator rig in modern skydiving folklore!] that was the first "Piggy Back" comercial rig!! [also one of the first split saddle rigs!!]and it had "EJECTOR HARDWARE!!" on the third attempt Herb went out and one of his leg straps ejector hardware kicked loose!! He spent most of the dive rolling, looping and generally being out of control trying to get ahold of that leg strap and hooking it back up before he bounced which he did, (hook up the leg strap, not bounce) anyway, the judges got him at 8 seconds clean (no over shoots or undershoots etc) on the style series which was "FAST" for those daze gone by!! If you don't believe me, call Herb, he still lives in Baton Rouge and Philip R. "Cappy" Connors (whereever he is these daze) usedta' tell the story with "Great viggah!!" Also, I was at the same meet!! Keetchykoo ya'll!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Since I'm not using this as life safety component, I decided to just make a cut into the lever to feed the webbing through and then to sew it. As a side note, I don't believe the strength lost by making the cut will ever affect the ability of the lever to operate.

My second rig was 'lightly used' Vector-I with 'quick ejects'. I thought it was a good looking rig and much better than the old 'Classiflier' I had been jumping. The first week-end I walked into the hangar, with my new gear, at the DZ, someone yelled out 'NEW GEAR'! Then came a big gasp and a hush fell over the hangar. One of the guys said; 'OH NO... quick ejects! I though what the hell? Then came all the ugly war stories about people falling out of their gear because of quick ejects. I jumped the rig and never had a problem. I just made sure, they were snapped properly. :D

Chuck

My second rig was 'lightly used' Vector-I with 'quick ejects'. I thought it was a good looking rig and much better than the old 'Classiflier' I had been jumping. The first week-end I walked into the hangar, with my new gear, at the DZ, someone yelled out 'NEW GEAR'! Then came a big gasp and a hush fell over the hangar. One of the guys said; 'OH NO... quick ejects! I though what the hell? Then came all the ugly war stories about people falling out of their gear because of quick ejects. I jumped the rig and never had a problem. I just made sure, they were snapped properly. :D

Chuck

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It is a really bad idea to add anything to the quick ejecotor, adding leverage to a place that was not designed for the added force can cause it to bend the lever (which would keep it from being able to lock). I have personally seen this happen. If you are having difficulties undoing the ejectors just flare the canopy fully then drop the toggles and disconnect. There will be a moment when the canopy surges that there will be no pressure on the connectors.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Chuck

That made me laugh. All military rigs, rounds and squares, have used quick ejector snaps for years on the leg straps and even on the chest strap on some systems. I am unaware of even one instance where a jumper fell out of a harness due to the QE snaps releasing.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING