Dirtybird

Neptune 3

Do you want to listen to music during freefall? If not you don't need the N3A. The N3A is designed to be used earphones and connected to an MP3 player. It does not have a speaker, it requires earphones.

If you want an audible you can use a regular N3 (I wear mine in my helmet and wear a Galaxy on my wrist)

I don't see the value in buying two devices that log your jumps. If you want to keep your N3 on your wrist you might want to look to devices that just provide alarms to put in your helmet, they cost less.

Don't get me wrong I love Alti-2 products so if cost is not a factor and you like lots of toys, or you already listen to music from your MP3 player while skydiving, then adding an N3A will give you audible altitude warnings.

And just because it always comes up when an N3A is mentioned, I am not recommending to anyone that they listen to music during a skydive. If people are already listening to music and would also like an audible, they can either ditch their MP3 player or get an N3A. If it was me I'd ditch the MP3 player, but I learned long ago that people rarely do as I think they should do.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

keep your N3 and get an L&B optima, 3 alarms for freefall and another 3 for the canopy-ride.. while you're at it, also get a solo from the same manufacturer as a back up with 3 freefall-alarms only, but it's also cheaper..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Even if you don't listen to music, the N3A is an exceptional altimeter. Headphones will save your hearing in the long run as an added bonus.

Until the guy screaming at you under canopy smashes into you because you couldn't hear him...that's ALWAYS a bonus! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am looking at buying a N3 not a N3 audio as I don't want to wear headphones. The Alti2 site says it beeps in free fall mode but I am wondering if those beeps are loud enough to be heard in free fall when mounted on the wrist?

no chance you'll hear it in freefall; it's either a VISUAL altimeter (you will hear it under canopy tough), or as an AUDIBLE altimeter (useful for both freefall AND canopy alarms).

the logbook functions work either way.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda