spawn123

What's up with the for sale add's??

Hi

So after a 6 year absence from the sport due to alot of waiting around to jump @ a DZ with higher priorities than civilian jumpers & low turn landing that fractured my L4. I've started looking for a new to me used rig here on the complete systems page. There have been 2 that I'm interested in, trouble is the first is in new york & the person never responded & the 2nd I haven't heard back from in 4 days. I wonder if they're only posted for sale to appease someone who is pushing them to sell their gear or stop jumping? I'm serious about getting back in, just wished people with stuff for sale actually followed up with stuff....Is it hard shipping across boarders? & how are you supposed to go about it properly, so you know that your not just giving away your $$$ & don't end up never seeing a rig. Thx Sean:|

There are several really good threads if you do a search that go through in great detail the best ways to buy and sell gear through the classifieds without you losing your money or the seller being at risk of losing his gear. Take a look it may help make this a much less stressful experience. As for buying and shipping to Canada it should be relatively stress free and simple i have done it with a lot if sports equipment in the past, though not skydiving gear and the only issue is once in a while you get pegged with duty crossing the border.

Also since you are just returning to the sport i'm not sure if you have a home DZ i see it's not filled in but if you do thats good info to have in there so the seller can make a call to verify who you are and that you are a respected honest person within the DZ community.

Hope this helps a little and good luck in your search.

The biggest hassle with shipping gear across borders is ensuring that it is airworthy before you pay shipping, duties, customs brokerage fees, etc.

May I suggest that you have it inspected by one of the better American riggers before money changes hands?
I did hundreds of pre-purchase inspections - on used gear - when I worked for Square One in Perris Valley, California.

The other hassle is customs brokers. If you ship with one of the major parcel services, they will bend you over and %$#@! you with "customs broker" fees. You would be far wiser to ask that your "new" gear be mailed via the United States Postal Service.

But yes, if you are asking to ship internationally, many sellers will just not be interested.

That's just not true. MANY MANY people sell gear internationally, a LOT of 2nd hand gear in OZ came from the USA or Europe,
Search the forums a bit there's loads if info on the better ways to buy and shipp gear internationally,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi

So after a 6 year absence from the sport due to alot of waiting around to jump @ a DZ with higher priorities than civilian jumpers & low turn landing that fractured my L4. I've started looking for a new to me used rig here on the complete systems page. There have been 2 that I'm interested in, trouble is the first is in new york & the person never responded & the 2nd I haven't heard back from in 4 days. I wonder if they're only posted for sale to appease someone who is pushing them to sell their gear or stop jumping? I'm serious about getting back in, just wished people with stuff for sale actually followed up with stuff....Is it hard shipping across boarders? & how are you supposed to go about it properly, so you know that your not just giving away your $$$ & don't end up never seeing a rig. Thx Sean:|

I have had a bit of hit and miss on the dz.com classifieds.

I have enquired about gear from two well known posters and had fantastic support (unfortunately I didn't end up buying from either them). Other people put ad's up and simply don't bother responding for some reason.

However I bought my rig from the dz classifieds and did very well (less than a 100 jumps on the system although it was 10 years old, Vigil 2 still in warranty and less than $2k!). I've also bought odd's and ends with no problems.

I have no idea why some people don't reply. Also watch out that some people list a container and reserve as a 'complete system'.

United States Postal Service.

after having send letters containing something little on the same date to thailand and the USoA.. the one to thailand took two weeks, the one to the USoA took nearly two friggin' months!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

But yes, if you are asking to ship internationally, many sellers will just not be interested.

That's just not true. MANY MANY people sell gear internationally, a LOT of 2nd hand gear in OZ came from the USA or Europe,
Search the forums a bit there's loads if info on the better ways to buy and shipp gear internationally,

I think the problem is that a lot of USA sellers will not sell/buy skydiving gear across borders, while the rest of the world seems to have less problems with international transactions. Possibly because we have little choice [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I think the problem is that a lot of USA sellers will not sell/buy skydiving gear across borders, while the rest of the world seems to have less problems with international transactions. Possibly because we have little choice [:/]

same with wire-transfers; while the rest of the world is just fine with it, every yank expects that you clean their account empty if you ask them for their bank-details.. and you pay like 20$+ expenses.

on the other hand, a very well known (american) manufacturer sent a 2000$ item to a friend without having a single cent from me in the bank because he was about to come over so he could take it with him.

if someone wont ship to you, it's probably not worth the effort anyway! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Send a PM to likestojump on this site. He sells used gear and ships internationally everyday, typically going much further than Canada.

If he can't help you, Chutingstar offers used gear brokering at no cost (I think). They're in the US, and the seller ships the gear to them and you send them the money. You do have to pay for them to inspect the gear, but you need a pre-purchase inspection anyway. Provided it passes, they will ship you the gear and send the seller the money.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes after gear sells, people will stop replying to emails for the gear. It would be nice if everyone would send you a 'gear sold' message. but not everyone is that considerate. Just keep sending emails, and something will pan out.

Finally, stop looking for a complete rig. Your chances of finding a container with a harness that fits you, the right main and the right reserve, all within your budget is fairly low. Buy them all separately, and just put them together.

There have been 2 that I'm interested in, trouble is the first is in new york & the person never responded & the 2nd I haven't heard back from in 4 days.

There's an adage about kissing a lot of frogs that comes to mind. You're looking for a rig with a 170 main/reserve, which is one of the most popular items on the classifieds - that and the 190's are very popular among newbies like us. If you're responding to someone who posted more than a day ago, it's probably already sold. I e-mailed a good number of folks about "complete" rigs before buying a used container with a reserve, a separate used main, and a new ADD.

Good luck.
T

Some sellers will sell internationally but some won't. The good news for the OP is that once he filled in his profile it turns out he is in Canada. I think most US sellers will sell to Canada, so he has that going for him.

I was just speculating on one reason he wasn't getting responses, it is impossible to know definitively why those particulat sellers didn't get back to him but international inquiry is one possible reason.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"