Maksimsf

Used gear for big boy

I'm getting close to the point when I have to get my 1st rig and stop renting. I'm 6.3 250 lbs. I do rent student rigs (Icon student with Voyager 240/260/280). I check classifieds every day for the last 2-3 month. Most of the time I see rigs from late 90's early 2000's with "only 300 jumps":S and that way they price it accordingly....$3500-4000+ for a complete rig. Just quick "add to cart" estimate from SQ1 or Chutingstar (custom Wings+Solo/Voyager+smart+Vigil2/Cypres2) will run me $5000-$6000 OTD. My budget is limited and i don't want to get a brand new rig as my first. It's like buying a Porsche as your first car. I was thinking to try to find a descent container that will fit 260+ main/reserve and send it to manufacturer to replace a harness, then look for used large main/reserve canopy and just buy new AAD? Any big boys that have an experience with buying used gear? Heads up please ;)

Max

I am not a big boy, but I will weigh in anyways.

Yes, it's a good idea. Costwise if you get a rig that has chest and hip ring it will be very inexpensive to replace the main lift web. Just make sure it has a Large or XL yoke (I am assuming your have a large-ish chest).

thanks, hip ring means articulated?

Yes, chest rings and hip rings means 'fully articulated'.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It is harder finding gear for us bigger guys, or if you don't want to jump small canopies. I was looking through the back classifieds this morning and saw something that might work for you. A Dolphin D 6, brand new, for $1050. Will probably have a large or x large harness. If needed to be let out some, Mike at Altico is very reasonable on it, and quick. It will take up to a 280 main and a 240 reserve. Or you could put a PD Opt. 253 reserve, if you wanted something larger. It said it had never been jumped, and the cost is less than a lot of 5 year + h/c I see for sale. Might be worth checking with them and see. They might take a little less. If interested, go to the classifides and type in Dolphin in the search box. Best of luck.

Hit the phone and call some drop zones. Many DZ's - especially bigger ones - replace student gear on a regular basis, moving out gear before it's junk. Gear with 260+ mains are most common in student gear inventories. I can't speak for every DZ, but I know Skydive Spaceland in Houston rotates gear regularly. You might see if they have something.

I would also suggest trimming down. Your skills will improve dramatically by getting to a more "medium" build. I speak from experience.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I'm almost your size (6'2 235) I bought a new wings container for $1400 and bought my main, a Solo 250, pd253 reserve, and cypress with 5 years left separately from the classifieds. Total cost around $3,300 for everything.

That was my plan "B", but Seems like it will become "A" I'm going to keep my eyes open for a "50% off MSRP Wings' or wait till American Boogie at my LDZ and play some raffles or buy it from someone who will not need it and just go for used Main/Reserve and AAD :)

I would also suggest trimming down. Your skills will improve dramatically by getting to a more "medium" build. I speak from experience.

Eh, yeah, gotta get my "Muscular athletic build ass" to the gym someday :ph34r: and give up on 6 pack a day [:/]

I'm going to keep my eyes open for a "50% off MSRP Wings' or wait till American Boogie at my LDZ and play some raffles or buy it from someone who will not need it and just go for used Main/Reserve and AAD

Just a quick note on those certificates - they're generally 50% off list, not including options. What that means is that you can come darn close to mathing the coupon deal by just ordering through a dealer. None of them charge list price, and often also charge less for options. The point is that those coupons have very little 'value' from a cash standpoint. If you can get one for $50 or $100, you might save a few bucks, but it's not worth it to pay much more than that.

About your gear, you can have a harness resized to fit you if you can find a container big enough to hold your canopies. You'll need the serial number from the rig, and a set of measurements off an order form for that type of rig, and then you can call the manufacturer to get a quote for a resize. It might be as much as $500, but if you can buy a container for $500 and then add the cost of the resize, you end up with a brand new, custom fit harness on your rig for $1000 total.

Barring that, you might have to buy a new container, and fill it with used canopies.

I am "bigger" as well. My advice:

You have 40 jumps. Make about 40 more and gauge where you want to sit for the next couple years on the larger side of a canopy and pick a container you can go down in a size or two once you get to that point.

If you feel good under a 260 main right mow, get a container that has the potential to hold a 230ish-260ish main. That way you can downsize over the next couple years without replacing EVERYTHING.

I don't think you will have trouble getting rid of the bigger "beginner" mains when you decide to move down a step or two. People are always looking for "beginner" gear in classifieds.

That's my 2 cents, but consult your instructors/local DZ before getting all crazy :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

Several years ago I purchased an older student container for $100 that I took to the manufacturer for modification. Had the static line stuff removed, replaced velcro etc and a complete new harness (fully adjustable so I could lose/gain weight). Total cost was a little over $600 including the original $100.
I then purchased a Raven IV reserve for $400 and a Navigator 280 with about 300 jumps for $500 (heck of a deal on the main).
So for $1500+ I had a perfectly good rig that fit my needs.
Unfortunately, I did gain even more weight to the point that the 280 was too small for me, so I sold the rig for over $2000 to another new "mature" jumper who wanted larger canopies due to knee issues.
Good news is that I'm now losing weight again and will soon be in the market for a much smaller rig. I had gastric bypass surgery at the beginning of the year and expect to be under 200 lbs by the end of summer.

Buy your USED reserve first.

Buy your USED main second.

Buy your AAD third and other "stuff."

Buy a NEW H/C customized for you.

I will tell you that I like the link Bryan left for you to review, but I would ask for the size person it was built for...
They could be a short ugly-assed fireplug or a rather tall handsome chivalrous man of stature such as myself [6'6" | 250]. :)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Yup, I did see this ad long time ago, thanks for a link anyway. I decided to do my math on tat particular rig...

1. Container.. same options from Sq1... = 1425+(200-SS 3 rings+SR Spacer Foam Backpad & Legpads $150+Soft Reserve Handle (listed as free) total = $1775
2.Main: Brand new from Sq1/Skydivestore - new Solo $1575/Voyager $1628
3.Reserve: Smart for $1080 from Sq1
4.AAD. Cypres-2 AAD (1-Pin) Expert 1 - $1475

Total: $5930

Now let's say seller telling truth and rig have 120 jumps(container/main) and DOM is 2005

1.Container: $1775-$120(amount of jumps-$700 (7 years old) = $995
2 Main: $1628-$120-$400=1108
3. Reserve. I have no Idea how to calculate depreciation so Ill just use -$100 a year. I don't know what Sharpchuter Reserves used to be going for but I use Smart price..$1080-$700=380
4. Cypres that have 6 years left that required 4 yrs maintenance and battery -$600???

Total: $3000-$3100 - rig listed for $4300. Am I missing something? Do I calculate something wrong? please don't affraid to educate my noob a$$ :D

Total: $3000-$3100 - rig listed for $4300. Am I missing something? Do I calculate something wrong? please don't affraid to educate my noob a$$ :D

Email an offer. The size of the equipment is also a factor, if canopy sizes are hard to come by used, the value can stay higher.

Hey...Although the math isn't something I'm going to get into...I had a rig up here that is for a big(er) guy a while back. Almost every single response was "gee can you give it to me for next to nothing?). Ummm NOPE.

Yeah, it's tough to get into some gear without going custom from the beginning. Especially from the standpoint of a bigger jumper. With that in mind..if your really interested in a rig (wings W-27) for a bigger guy (6'1"ish and 225 lbs) approx. that has a Safire II 229 sf..with about 150 jumps...a super raven -M reserve 282 sf (no deployments), fully articulated, full stainless, RSL, soft pillow cutaway/reserve handles..etc...etc...or if any one of you know of anyone else looking (yeah really looking)....contact me!

You won't get it for free...but I will make you a decent offer on a great rig!

AAD ready...but not included.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

thanks for all that info guys. Most likely I will go custom made Wings + new Solo/Voyager + new Smart+used AAD, so that way I can sell it for a good price to another bigboy after few years without loosing shitload of money and get something more fancy :)

Blue...

thanks for all that info guys. Most likely I will go custom made Wings + new Solo/Voyager + new Smart+used AAD, so that way I can sell it for a good price to another bigboy after few years without loosing shitload of money and get something more fancy :)

You'll lose less money if you look into used canopies. They cost less and are easier to pack, and have already taken the big depreciation hit going from 'new' to 'used'.

The AAD, on the other hand, you should look into buynig new. It's hard to find a good deal on a used AAD, and that's because they sell in a minute and typically to someone the jumper knows. Eveyone and their brother is looking for a cheap (used) AAD.

If you have the money, buy used canopies and a new AAD, with the benefit being that the AAD can be swapped into your next rig. Of all the gear you'll buy, that's one that will work in any rig you choose down the line.

That make sense, but I when I see adds selling gear from late 90's early 2000's with only "200-300" jumps....I'm curious how do I make sure it's true? It's all based on my experience.. I think most used Voyagers/Solo/Navis comes from DZ's. @ my DZ rental/student rigs gets jumped approx 20-30 times a week...

Running about 230ish over the years..... I bought a lightly used rig from classifieds here. Had a Falcon 290 in it which was non-zp. That was OK for about a hundred jumps, the falcon was about $250, used but OK. At student level you aint that picky with rolling in dirt landings, etc. About 2 years ago I upgraded to a new Triathlon 260, its a nice canopy, opens swell and soft. They rent these at Perris so they were a easy transition. I am not worried about all the downsizing BS as I prefer to save my knees as I am in my 50s and also do a bunch of Ironmans each year so they get a beating from that already. The Aerodyne tris open nice and soft, are 7 cell stable units.

When it comes to reserve canopies, PD reserves are 'supposed' to be marked everytime they're packed and everytime they're jumped. Beyond that, you need a rigger to inspect any used gear you plan to buy. The jump numbers are irrevelant as long as the rigger deems the canopy airworthy. Most reserves have between 0 and 5 jumps, so it's not a big deal.

Mains are the same way. A rigger will be able to tell you if the claimed jump numbers are close, but what's more important is the condition of the lines. A rigger can measure these to see if they're close, and visually inspect them for condition.

The jump numbers aren't real important on a modern canopy. The fabric can go for 1000s of jumps, and the lines are changed every 500 jumps or so (or at least they should be).

The nice part about used main canopies is that you can jump one for 50/100 jumps, and then sell it for the same money you bought it for. There's not much difference in price between a used canopy with 500 jumps or one with 600 jumps. Either way, take the money you get and use it on another used canopy. You can go through two or three different canopies with the same rig, and not really spend much more than your initial investment.

If you have a new canopy, you lose money selling it with 50/100 jumps on it, and it might be harder to sell. It's probably easier to sell a $750 canopy than it is to sell a $1500 canopy, the extra $750 could buy a guy a lot of jumps.