Naimanator

New Container: Icon Pro or Javelin Odyssey?

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a new container/canopy/reserve package from ChutingStar and I'm wondering if there are any REAL differences, other than personal preference, between the Icon Pro and the Javelin Odyssey. I would be getting both fully articulated (chest/hip rings), and with the spacerfoam backpad. The canopy is either going to be a Pilot 150 or a Sabre 2 150. I'm planning on the rig lasting me for the next 4-5 years at least. Currently it'll mostly be used for RW but for all intents and purposes it needs to be capable of RW, freeflying, cameraflying, and winsuiting when I'm ready to move into those disciplines.

When priced with similar options, the Odyssey comes out to be about $500 more expensive than the Icon Pro. I'm willing to drop that extra money if it's really worth it but all things considered if it's not necessary I'd rather have another $500 to spend on jump tickets.

Any input?

Thanks.

Priced with similar options

the $500 difference in the 2 is partially in the main price and partially in the hip/chest rings being included in the icon. The cost of the skyhook would add another close to 300$ to the price. Thats just info from the internet so as far as comparing the 2 I have no idea

If I were to buy a new rig my first choice would be an Infinity, but that is just personal preference, less expensive than Javelin or Icon as well. If economy is what you are looking for the wings might be a way to go.

If you are set on either an Icon or a Javelin, I would probably save the extra 500 for jump tickets. They are both good rigs.
Onward and Upward!

the $500 difference in the 2 is partially in the main price and partially in the hip/chest rings being included in the icon. The cost of the skyhook would add another close to 300$ to the price.

nolan358 is right. The hip/chest rings and spacer foam backpack are extras on the Odyssey while they're included in the Icon Pro. I wasn't planning on getting the Skyhook, but I have been considering it, just hadn't made my mind up on that yet.

Why the Vector 3?

vector 3 has all bases covered. from pin protection to primary and secondary riser covers, skyhook which was created by bill booth, rigger friendly, very good support from the manufacturer. Trust me do your homework on vector 3 and you will probably change your mind. I owned an odyssey and sold mine because the main flap would pop open every time in a sit. Send me a PM if you need to chat more.

vector 3 has all bases covered. from pin protection to primary and secondary riser covers, skyhook which was created by bill booth, rigger friendly, very good support from the manufacturer. Trust me do your homework on vector 3 and you will probably change your mind. I owned an odyssey and sold mine because the main flap would pop open every time in a sit. Send me a PM if you need to chat more.

Did you speak to SPP about the odyssey?

If one or two sets of riser covers are needed, isn't that just a matter of container design? If two are needed, I see that as a point against the design. The simpler the better.

What's so rigger friendly about a vector compared to an odyssey? My rigger moans about vectors all the time and even prefer packing wings before vectors (and he does pack more vectors than wings, so its not just a matter of what's he's most used to).

I keep hearing "good support from the manufacturer" about all major containers, so I don't think that's much of an issue.

I'm not saying vector is a bad container, not at all, but on the other hand I don't think its better than the odyssey either. They each have their pros and cons.

The bad points about the vector and Icon compared to a odyssey:
* More flaps that has to move away from the reserve PC.
* AAD-cutter above the PC. If the cutter somehow traps the loop, the system can't be manually deployed.

To the original poster; if you still are a student, try to get a used system instead. You most likely will make a few bad landings now and then in the beginning and it really sucks to stain and tear your brand new gear. You probably also want to get a smaller parachute after a hundred jumps or so and then it might be better time to get new gear. By that time you might have had more time to look at all the different containers out there, spoken with more people and can make a more informed decision about what you value in a container.

My question about his current gear was because a 150 might be a bit smal?
Just as you pointed out his profile states student, and what size have you been flying Brian?

Buying a 150 that you want to keep for 4-5 years indicates it's a much too smal canopy for your current level.

Just my thoughts

EDIT: If you plan to have the same gear the next 4-5 years because you don't jump enough to downsize, then it's a even worse idea to buy a 150.
Unless you are supertiny

The bad points about the vector and Icon compared to a odyssey:
* More flaps that has to move away from the reserve PC.
* AAD-cutter above the PC. If the cutter somehow traps the loop, the system can't be manually deployed.

then get a Basik Seven :)
edited to add : and ChutingStar, where the OP intends to purchase his rig, is the US distributor for BAsik rigs

another add : in that choice of 2, I would go for the Icon, faster to get it, cheaper.... All in all not a bad rig
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Buying a 150 that you want to keep for 4-5 years indicates it's a much too smal canopy for your current level.

WTF, I had my 150 for 4 years before down sizing, so too do many many people particularly if they wish to learn how to fly the canopy they have.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

But was that your first canopy off student status?

Speculating here:
If he is just off student status he probably jumped a 220/240 Navigator/Manta, and geting on a 150 is a big step.

But I agree keeping a canopy for a long time is not a problem, but to downsize past your expiriencelevel just to keep that gear a few extra years is a problem.

But was that your first canopy off student status?

Speculating here:
If he is just off student status he probably jumped a 220/240 Navigator/Manta, and geting on a 150 is a big step.

But I agree keeping a canopy for a long time is not a problem, but to downsize past your expiriencelevel just to keep that gear a few extra years is a problem.

A 150 Hornet
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I'd rather have another $500 to spend on jump tickets.

Any input?

Yup, lot's of input.

For starters, chest rings aren't 'all that'. Too much articulation has shown to allow for too much movement of the rig. Look around and see how many rigs have cehst rings comapred to how many rigs have just hip rings. Your MLW doesn't need to flex near your chest like it does at the hip junction.

It sounds like you're just checking every box on the order form, but somehow you left off the Skyhook. Skydiving isn't a 'gear contest', and having a loaded flashy rig isn't going to help you. Something like a Skyhook could help you.

If $500 for jumps is important to you, buy a used rig. I see from your other post that you weigh 160, so you have an exit weight of something like 185/190, pushing your WL on the 150 up over 1.2, which is on the high side for a new jumper. It sounds like you're trying to wdge yourself into a smaller rig than you should based on the idea that you wnat to keep it for several years, and that's a mistake. Buy gear that you should be jumping today, and worry about next year next year. You never mentioned the reserve, what size are you planning for that?

Look for a used rig that will hold a 170 main/170 reserve. It will serve you well through a downsize or two, and cost less than half the price of a new rig. Your money will be MUCH better spent on additional jumps and training than on a new rig at this time. Keep your canopy choices conservative, and remain upright long enough to develop the skills to be able to buy a rig that will keep you happy for many years.

Having all the 'cool stuff' means nothing in this sport. Making jumps and building skills and experience are where it's at. Funnel your cash into those areas, and ease up on the bling-bling.

Vector! No, Odyssey! No, Racer! No, Mirage!

In any modern rig, you're going to get superior pin protection, superior ergonomics, and a good safe rig that will last you a long time. I think it's an issue of personal preferance. There are things to like and not to like about each of the rigs out there on the market. Personally, I choose to jump the Racer 2K3, but really you can't go wrong with any of the rigs on the market these days. Just my .02.
=========Shaun ==========

I very recently bought a new Icon Pro. Why? Not because of any riser protection or any issues like that, but because it was the one I thought looked the nicest.

I would be happy to jump any of the modern containers available - Vector, Javelin, Wings, Infinity, or whatever, so based on that I then went on which one looked the nicest for my tastes. For me it was the Icon and thankfully it also came in below the max level for my budget. Got it a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with my choice.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

vector 3 has all bases covered. from pin protection to primary and secondary riser covers,

I actually dislike secondary riser covers... If you want to do CRW you would pack your risers on top of them, because they cause off-heading openings. I actually had mine stitched up on my Icon because they were giving me REALLY off-heading openings.
Not sure if current icons still have them or not, but I for one can do without. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I think it all comes down to personal preference, I can sit here and tell you why I think certain rigs are better than others all day. I like vectors, I researched all major containers and have jumped most of them. I am a rigger and vector 3's are rigger friendly in my opinion, and a lot of other riggers I know feel the same way. I have seen brake lines floating out from javelins riser covers, I have seen premature openings on javelins, I have owned a javelin, I have packed reserves on javelins. This is an educated answer not just purely opinion. No where did I say that javelins or icon pro was not as good or a bad rig. Through what I have seen and research I have done myself and rigs I have jumped, I choose vector 3. I am not saying that vector 3 is the only rig out there, but in my opinion it is the best choice. Also I have called and talked to many manufacturers and vector 3 is prompt and gives you a no bullshit answer. Thanks, and done.

Come on don't be silly....Racer????

Has better pin protection than anything listed so far. Mine is above and beyond more comfortable than my Vector III, both rigs were new and built to my dimensions. My Racer 2k3 included magnetic riser covers at the base price, less than $1500 new.

Reserve packing wise, both are easy.