Naimanator

New Container: Icon Pro or Javelin Odyssey?

Hey all,

I'm looking at buying a new container/canopy/reserve package from ChutingStar and I'm wondering if there are any REAL differences, other than personal preference, between the Icon Pro and the Javelin Odyssey. I would be getting both fully articulated (chest/hip rings), and with the spacerfoam backpad. The canopy is either going to be a Pilot 150 or a Sabre 2 150. I'm planning on the rig lasting me for the next 4-5 years at least. Currently it'll mostly be used for RW but for all intents and purposes it needs to be capable of RW, freeflying, cameraflying, and winsuiting when I'm ready to move into those disciplines.

When priced with similar options, the Odyssey comes out to be about $500 more expensive than the Icon Pro. I'm willing to drop that extra money if it's really worth it but all things considered if it's not necessary I'd rather have another $500 to spend on jump tickets.

Any input?

Thanks.

Priced with similar options

I have owned 3 custom Javelins over the years (J5, J2, and a J4) and also a custom Icon I6. The Icon I6 was by far the most comfortable of these 4 containers and if I was in the market for a new container I would get another Icon. You get a lot of container for the $$ with the Icon.

Naimemnator. This is about the dozenth similar inquiry from a student about buying a rig. My advice is, and will be: For starters, pick a rig with a workable RSL. Ask around. That will eliminate one of the choices.

You assume I am a student although I'm not.

Thanks to everyone who gave useful input about the question I asked; the pro's and cons's of various containers from different manufacturers.

Ultimately I decided to talk to some riggers I know from the dz's I frequent most often. After a few conversations and some more research on my own I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with an Infinity from Velocity Sports Equipment. I'm not 100% decided on that yet but it's what I'm leaning towards.

To everyone else who automatically assumed I was a student looking for the most " bling bling" and replied as such; it's not appreciated. This is in fact NOT going to be my first rig after graduating from student status. I DID buy used gear first and that's what I'm currently jumping. The reason I'm looking to buy a new container, rather than used, is because I work hard and have the money to spend, but mostly because I want something that actually fits well without having to go through the hassle of arranging purchases through the classifieds.

Anyways. Like I said, thanks for the input.

To everyone else who automatically assumed I was a student looking for the most " bling bling" and replied as such; it's not appreciated.

I assumed it because of what your profile said.
I see you have now updated it.

Dude, it did say student on your profile info on the left, which is why people assumed that you were.

Anyway, glad you've made a decision on what to buy. Speaking to people and making your own mind up will help you make the decision correct for you and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Like I said in my other post on here, I'm sure you'd be happy with pretty much any container going, so have fun with it.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Naimemnator. This is about the dozenth similar inquiry from a student about buying a rig. My advice is, and will be: For starters, pick a rig with a workable RSL. Ask around. That will eliminate one of the choices.

You assume I am a student although I'm not.

As others also pointed out, your profile did say Student.

And your account was registerd in July, and you have five posts.
This WILL lead to the conclusion of a new jumper.

I can admit that I have not either updated my profile in ~1.5 years, but since I don't ask for advice it's not that relevant.
However if I was to ask for advice regarding gear I would update my profile or type it in the post.

I can admit that I have not either updated my profile in ~1.5 years, but since I don't ask for advice it's not that relevant.
However if I was to ask for advice regarding gear I would update my profile or type it in the post.

you DO give advice and your profile can help give a semblance of creditability to your posts. your post themselves would need to be worthy too though.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you DO give advice and your profile can help give a semblance of creditability to your posts. your post themselves would need to be worthy too though.

Yes, the number of jumps is more important than the actual advice. :S

There will always be someone with ten more jumps "who knows so much better" [:/]
Thats how it works here on DZ.com, didn't you know?

And for the record, you could reread the thread before accusing me of giving advice.
I have only asked what gear he has now and to not downsize to quickly.

And the reason why I did not give advice on Icon/Javelin + all the others is because I have not tried them all.
And I don't think alot of those who give advice in here has.

Buy used.

Most modern containers are as safe as each other and the savings cost will make your "$500 more expensive" seem like peanuts.

The is very little reason for a young jumper to buy new gear... Just like very little reason for a new driver to buy a new car.

In fact, only buy a new car if you can easily afford it (read: pay cash).
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Come on don't be silly....Racer????

Yes. :| I have a new 2K3 with Double tuck tabs & Magnetic riser covers, absolutely superior pin protection, built with the best materials (7K lbs webbing) and it flexes with my body. I would put it up against any of the rigs out there.
=========Shaun ==========

Of the two, Odyessy. And of course thats because I have one and I am biased. VSE's are awesome too, can't go wrong there.

You didn't choose your Odyessy based on market research and carefully considering the options, you got it because it was sitting in a closet, it would fit you and your canopies, and the owner gave you a great deal (and probably a payment plan).

Try paying full price for a new rig, and then see what you buy. I bought VSE.

On another note, more jump and dumps to come. After daylight savings we'll be doing some after work stuff during the week. There's another new Katana pilot who needs to get some swoop practice.

Come on don't be silly....Racer????

Yes. :| I have a new 2K3 with Double tuck tabs & Magnetic riser covers, absolutely superior pin protection, built with the best materials (7K lbs webbing) and it flexes with my body. I would put it up against any of the rigs out there.

At what point does having stronger webbing stop making a difference ? Do you feel that using T13 instead of T7 is really a functional advantage ?

by the same argument (if I am understanding you correctly), a car made of steel is better than of plastic. I believe the current market seems to think that it's unnecessary.