dpreguy

Relocating the Cypres dispay unit

On 3 or 4 rigs I have relocated the display unit for the Cypes AAD from the "under the flap" position to it's common position to the back of the neck ( old Vectors) or back of the shoulders like in a Sunpath. (You know, the little pocket with clear plastic window.) I talked to one of the mfg at PIA several years ago ,(mfg isn't important here) and was told that it wasn't anything I needed a letter from the mfg for. He even sent me a few pre cut windows to use when constructing the home made pocket. Etc. He downplayed the tech approval aspect. I agreed, maybe because I wanted to agree. I haven't done many, and haven't bothered to check with any of the other mfgs. Those rigs are getting more rare now, as they are pre AAD popularity. This is a departure from my usual 'by the book' attitude, and maybe it's because I am lazy or the relocation was something I didn't want to wait to get the letter from the mfg, because I wanted to get it done. This is more like a casual inquiry of other master riggers, and see if you have done the same. This has arisen about once a year, and may never come up again, as these old rigs are being taken out of use by skydivers buying more modern H/C's. Think I need (should have gotten) to get a mfg letter to OK? The mod is noted on the packing data card.

The relocatioon is a good thing, as the user will be more likely to turn it on and check it periodically if it is visible, and obviates the necessity of opening and closing the reserve flap, just to turn it on and to look at it. (OK I am rationalizing here)

Hi Walt,

Just my thoughts:

The back pad, where you are probably mounting the AAD, is not the container in most cases.

The actual reserve container is the certificated part, the back pad is not.

I once asked Bill Booth this very question during a TSO committee meeting ( I knew what he would say but I wanted him to say it ).

A letter from any mfr is always good but IMO you are not cutting into the container. Unless you actually are, then that is quite different.

JerryBaumchen

The relocatioon is a good thing, as the user will be more likely to turn it on and check it periodically if it is visible, and obviates the necessity of opening and closing the reserve flap, just to turn it on and to look at it. (OK I am rationalizing here)

Is it no longer important to lift the reserve flap and check the pin, RSL, etc., at least once during a jumping day?

you think?
so you think that they are to lazy to pop-up the reserve and turn it on, therefore if you put it in the open, there's likely NO CHANCE they'll ever check their reserve pin at all?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Checking the reserve pin/loop, and turning on the Cypres and oserving the diplay panel are separate acts. Not related to each other.

Everyone knows that all rig mfg since -oh I don't know, maybe the early to mid 90's - have provided a visble diplay unit window, allowing the user to turn it on and observe it without opening up the reserve flap. Probably have to contact them to see why they did that. I am glad they did, as it is very convenient.
It's also nice, and time convenient, for AFF Instructors to glance at it on the rental rigs during gear check.

Checking the reserve pin and loop is your separate issue. You can deal with that any way you like. I guess if you'd like to convince the mfg's to relocacte the display units back to the "under the flap" location so the user would hae to open it to turn on the AAD, to force the user to check the pin, then go for it. Or open a thread on 'Checking Your Reserve Pin.

Checking the reserve pin/loop, and turning on the Cypres and oserving the diplay panel are separate acts. Not related to each other.

they're very much related to my routine on my vector

BTW Not everyone know that ALL rig mfgrs do. because not all of them do.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Didn't they 'move' it to protect it a little better from hard exits and landing etc?

If that were the case I would think the backpad would be the best location for it, not under one flap.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Didn't they 'move' it to protect it a little better from hard exits and landing etc?

If that were the case I would think the backpad would be the best location for it, not under one flap.

Like where the little window on mine rig has it located? :ph34r:

Great place to stash stuff...my AAD is always on & has a glove on it. :P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

More to protect it from clumsy packers.
I remember when BOC came into fashion (early 1990s), it was popular to stand the rig on its shoulder yoke to stuff the pilot-chute into the BOC. This packing technique damaged cables on a lot of Cypres1 AADs.
Rigging Innovations responded by re-locating the Cypres control head to the back pad of its Flexon harness/container.
Similalry, the Telesis 1 student rig had the Cypres control head installed on a mud-flap (aka. 3-Ring cover). This was supposed to make it easier for a jump-master - in a cramped Cessna - to verify that it was turned on before exit. unfortunately, the shoulder yoke was so flexible that too many Cypres 1 needed cable repairs, so ... R.I. moved the location of the control head to under the reserve pin cover ... like most other rigs.

Newer electronic AADs (e.g. Vigil) have tougher cables, but that was the history of why many rigs have AAD control heads in their back-pads: to reduce damage when clumsy packers stand them on their heads.

I have been skiing this weekend (couldn't jump - too wiindy) and upon return to internet I re read my earlier post. It was "hard edged" and I apologize for thay. Like Alice in Dilbert "must control...."

Anyway, you were correct. Not all mfgs have a visible display panel place for AAD. Yes, all skydivers should check their reserve pin and loop at the beginning of each day, and look over every other part of their rig too.

My take on the relocation is that after mid 90's skydivers were no longer ashamed of having an AAD. Before- under the flap was a convenient place to put it and also no one had to know you had one. Just not 'manly' to admit you used an AAD. After the stigma of having an AAD was gone, then most mfg's went to the visible display windows becuse the skydivers wanted it out there to see it, and not wonder, "uh..did I actually turn it on this morning or was that yesterday that I did that?" etc .
The Vectors and RI rigs I did it on had an installation that was horizontal behind the neck. The Sunpatnh and another one were on the backpad, between the shoulders. Both places resulted in nice appearing and good results. I just followied the more modern placement of the same mfg., Guess other m riggers have done that too, as I saw one come thru my shop. Probably not even an issue now as most of those older rigs are out of service now anyway.
I seem to remember the ASTRA display unit was supposed to be mounted in/on the mudflap area too, and I think it even had a glowing light to indicate it was on. I have never seen one of these units but have the literature somewhere.

"... I seem to remember the ASTRA display unit was supposed to be mounted in/on the mudflap area too, and I think it even had a glowing light to indicate it was on. I have never seen one of these units but have the literature somewhere.

"

Astra control heads are too big to fit into most Cypres window pockets.
OTOH Astra cables are much tougher than Cypres cables, ergo less risk of damage by clumsy packers.

I am vaguly aware of the reg, but felt that if the mfg said OK I'd be clear enough. (But I didn't even do that.) I just did it after talking at PIA to the owner of the company about the rig I was doing it to. OK my grammar is bad. Just wondered if any one else has done these.