extremeshannon

Help With Sewing machine selection

Hello everyone I am trying to buy a several sewing machines and I keep getting lost in what to buy. What models should I be looking for. The one I am looking the hardest for is a Zig Zag. Every time I think I find one I find out it is not the right model I need. So a list of correct version would be great and any other info.

How can I tell it will do a Federal 308 Stitch? Each model has different model versions

How would I know if I can buy cams and other parts to change it over?

Light/medium Weight Zig Zag
Pfaff 138
Bernina 217N
Consew 199RB-2a

Double Needle
Juki LH-515

Bar Tack
I know I want a 42 stich center stop not sure what are the best models to be looking for

Thanks Shannon

I love my 217N-06. The number after the dash is the maximum width of the stitch in millimeters, -06, -08, or -12. All 217s can sew a 304 stitch. A 308 requires a cam reader that is bolted on to the back of the head and the correct cam. Cams are tough to find and expensive when you do find them, but they are available. This thread has some useful information.

I am wondering why you want a 308 stitch machine ? A double throw is not as common as a regular single throw 304, and is an absolute bitch to pick out :)

I own a Consew 199R-1A (the 304 stitch) and the costs of converting it to a 2A (308 double throw) when I checked into it were fairly high. I have also owned a Singer 20U and that machine was easy to use and the parts are very easily obtainable.

I also use a Singer 31-15 for straight stitching and it's a wonderful machine that I got dirt cheap. Changed some parts around, added a servo motor recently and the thing is just awesome.

as far as getting a bartacker - if you want a cam driven one, you will have a hell of a time finding one that has a center start/stop pattern. And if you will want to have one converted, it will be damn expensive. My opinion is that an end-stop tacker should suffice unless you are doing some really high end stuff. The Singer (2)69W series and Juki 980/1850 series seem to be popular, as well as the Pfaff 3334. Or just shell out the big bucks for the Juki LK-1900 series electronic tacker that is discussed here : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4269477;search_string=1900ahs;#4269477

I have also owned a Singer 20U and that machine was easy to use and the parts are very easily obtainable.

I have 2 very nice 20u's, and I would generally recommend against them unless you're doing very general work. I have both a 20u33 and 20u73, both with the metal cams. I kind of feel like it's a 'one machine that does it all at the B- Level'. I can get a REALLY good straight stich, if I put in the straight stitch feed dog, plate, and retune. I can get a really good Zig-zag, if I put in the correct feed dog, plate, and retune. I guess I feel like it would be better to have a better machine or perhaps one machine for each function if it does it really well. I know there are a lot of very respectable riggers that may disagree with me on this, but that's generally my opinion of the 20u.
=========Shaun ==========

Thanks everyone for the information. I am still trying to figure out what I need so thanks for the education.

The reason I am looking for a Fed 308 stitch is in the riggers hand book it states "a medium-duty double throw (308) zigzag machine such as a Bernina Model 217 [Figure 6-59] for suspension line repair and replacement." So this is why I have been looking for a 308 Stitch. If I do not need this then it will make my life easier finding a machine. Just want the best all around zig zag I can get.

As far as the bartack I was told "You need a 42 stich center stop if you want to do lines" so I am not sure what I really need.

I know how to use the machines just don't know what I exactly need and what models will do it.

I have An Artisan straight stitch, Consew 205rb Walking foot and a Singer 7-33 already.

As far as the bartack I was told "You need a 42 stich center stop if you want to do lines" so I am not sure what I really need.

I've seen a number of Master riggers and Even DPRE's that reline canopies bartacing with a 304 stitch followed by the 301. I watched a gentleman reline a SET-360 on a 20u with fantastic results, very professional. I must say, I'm not quite that practiced with my 20u as of yet.

I've also relined a canopy using a Giant Pfaff 42 stitch bartac machine ~ easiest thing in the world to use, I wish I had one. I know that the bartac machine is controlled with a center cam which is replaced for the various types of stitching used. Very expensive to replace and if worn, nearly impossible to repair.

I guess I am also not seeing the need for a 308 stitch ~ maybe some of the older folks can help, but isn't that stitch pretty limited to round canopies and military applications?
=========Shaun ==========

I guess I am also not seeing the need for a 308 stitch ~ maybe some of the older folks can help, but isn't that stitch pretty limited to round canopies and military applications?

The only thing I know to use it for is attaching the quickloop to the pop-top on a Racer.

And I also know how to cheat it on a normal zig-zag. It goes slow and takes a while, but it works fine.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You have probably got this all figured out by now, but I'd be interested in what machine you selected. The difference between the 304 and 308 stitch is one of strength. The older military canopies with 550 cord specified a 308 double throw stitch. Modern rigs are made much lighter than the old military gear in almost every category. If you are repairing one of these you would need a machine to produce the required stitch, whether it's a double throw zig zag stitch or a double needle 301 for binding. I always try to reproduce the original manufacturers methods. Did you get a harness machine?

Thanks

John