Pammi

Good news for parents...$400 each!

They just passed a new tax law upping the child tax credit....that means an extra $400 bucks each to all of us at the end of July/first of August. Yeah!! Not like we aren't spending way more then that on the little blood suckers anyway! :P

IRS news

Pammi

woohoooo that means more jump tickets at Rantoul!

And I believe that proves my point.

Sure, public education is a mess, but my guess is the majority of this money is NOT going to be used for the benefit of the children it's based upon.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

See, to me, that's fine. I don't have kids and I shouldn't get a tax credit to support them, but if people do have kids, they should use the tax credit for the kids betterment, not additional jump tickets -- or whatever.
quade -

Freaking discrimination for us non-floor-rats-infested adults... ;)

Your not even in the US! What are you bitching about? -- ;);)

edited to add the smilies so I don't get a red hot fork!

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

We get totally screwed as ususal......

which leads to kids and eventually a tax credit...

Paul, I understand where you're coming from but parent's are going to be spending money on their kids regardless of whether or not they get a tax credit. Does it really matter if THAT $400 goes to the kids, or the $400 out of the paycheck? Personally, I see it as a relief since I'm going to be spending $400 a month per kid for day care this summer anyways...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Well it is about time the little shit machines paid off!:o But really, the edumacational systum herin Neebraska is shitty and broke. They needut more than weedoo...

-Hixxx

death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

Paul, I understand where you're coming from but parent's are going to be spending money on their kids regardless of whether or not they get a tax credit.

No. This tax credit is being given specifically for people with kids. Had the tax credit not been granted, then that money would have been spent by the government for anyone of a number of things. Since the basis of the tax credit is for tax relief for the children, then, logically it should be spent FOR the children. I just don't think it will be in the majority of cases.

In reality, this is just an attempt by some politicians to garner the goodwill of the "parent" block of voters and in my opinion is a shameless waste that will NOT benefit the children at all.

Sure does make for good sounding copy on their part though doesn't it?
quade -

If that's true, then fine! I'd fully support any educational use of the funds -- food, shelter -- absolutely! Heck I'd even support recreational use of the funds as long as it was for the kids.
quade -

No. This tax credit is being given specifically for people with kids. Had the tax credit not been granted, then that money would have been spent by the government for anyone of a number of things. Since the basis of the tax credit is for tax relief for the children, then, logically it should be spent FOR the children. I just don't think it will be in the majority of cases.

In reality, this is just an attempt by some politicians to garner the goodwill of the "parent" block of voters and in my opinion is a shameless waste that will NOT benefit the children at all.

Sure does make for good sounding copy on their part though doesn't it?

This reminds me of a quote

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.. Alexis Toqueville
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Dunno, Paul. Partly because I don't wnat to end up in a situation where parents have to do things like account for every dime of child support as directly supporting the kids (e.g. clothing). Part of having kids is having a bigger apartment or house in the first place so that your kids have a place to stay; that's not really a luxury. Having a bigger car sometimes (though not really necessarily). Having a more flexible job. Those can cost money that doesn't seem to be directly tied to the kids.

I agree that a one-time tax rebate is likely to get spent by many on fun for the parents, but for many others it'll translate into getting the car fixed etc. Which, again, indirectly benefits the kids. Even if you would have had to do it anyway.

OTOH, to anyone who goes out and has a really great party for all your friends with the money, YOU SUCK.

BTW, I was the one who paid child support; this isn't just trying to waffle and cover my sorry ass.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So my kid likes to watch me jump out of airplanes. Is this OK?

Seriously, it is BS, and was only done to make the rest of the tax cuts easier to swallow (Hey - I'm getting something so it's OK if the other guys get something too.)

But, since it's too late for the folks in FL to figure out how to read a ballot, I will spend my $$ on new gear for my now non-wuffo wife.

E

In all seriousness, I think raising kids cost alot and $400 while it helps, will get soaked up in no time.

I'd think of the $400 as Uncle Sam helping parents by chipping in on some daycare, school books, lunch money ++.

While not all parents would do that, hopefully a large portion would. As nice as the idea to allocate the credit straight to schools say, I think it would be very difficult to enforce and administer.

Anyway... My thoughts

This tax credit/rebate is to lessen the burden on those families that seem to live day to day, supporting their kids and themselves, like I do. Do you people have any idea how expensive it is to raise a child? Now up that to 4. Paycheck to paycheck isn't just something that happens, it's a way of life for some of us. Our kids are well taken care of, period. All their needs are covered, before a red cent is spent on us. Yes, this credit will be spent on us. Why? Because the kids are covered, and now we will have just a little bit more to spend on ourselves.

If you need to spend this money on the kids, your prioritys are wrong already, and your children are not getting what they deserve. Those that need this money for the kids need to take a step back and look at what they can take away from themselves, to give more to the children.

This is a welcome relief to me. Almost everything my wife and I make goes to the kids. This gives us a chance to spend a little on us for once.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

***I agree that a one-time tax rebate is likely to get spent by many on fun for the parents, but for many others it'll translate into getting the car fixed etc. Which, again, indirectly benefits the kids. Even if you would have had to do it anyway.

And even the money spent on Parent fun indirectly benefits the kids. Happier parents typically make better parents.
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

given that money over to the states for k-12 education purposes.

OH no Paul: We just went through this in Oregon. The OEA decided that they could not run the schools with the current increases in school budgets. Oregon is spending $7,027 per student. Which is more than our neighbors: Cal $6,298, Wa $6,394, & Id $5,218. But my point is: The students that score at the bottom of the list, DC, have $9,933 per student spent on them. Throwing money at schools does not create rocket scientist. :|
My question is: How much of my Money do you think the government should let me keep?
PS: your web site is great, did you learn that in school?;)

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

>>Heck I'd even support recreational use of the funds as long as it was for the kids
Given the fact that kids typically have a lower tolerance, the recreational spending of $400 would result in a mighty big buzz. B|

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

My question is: How much of my Money do you think the government should let me keep?

Reverse it. How much of my money do you think I should have to pay to educate someone else's child?

It's a tough question to be sure, with no simple solution.

Also, I fully agree that just throwing money at schools is probably pointless, but in state like California, where there is a clear budget crisis in education, a little extra cash certainly wouldn't hurt!

PS: your web site is great, did you learn that in school?

No, but clearly what I learned in school laid the basis for everything I learned as an adult. I learned to read in school, which is a heck of a lot more than some kids are doing these days. Reading is pretty much the gateway to all higher learning. So, heck, I'd fully support parents buying their kids books with the money!
quade -

How much of my money do you think I should have to pay to educate someone else's child?

It's a tough question to be sure, with no simple solution.

Easy question. Zero.
Government-run school teacher opinions notwithstanding.

Dan'l

Dan'l, the flip side of this is that education of children benefits all of the citizens, therefore at least some amount of money -should- go to education even from folks that have no children of their own.

For instance, I have no children, but I benefit from other people's children being educated. They become hireable commodities rather than unhireable people that turn to crime, drug & prostitution to support themselves. So, society as a whole sees a benefit even if I, as an individual, only see a very indirect benefit.

Like I said, there's no simple solution.
quade -