J0nathan

collapsible pilot chute ?

Yes it's worth it.

The difference isn't so much speed as measured in MPH, but simply less stress put on the canopy during flight, and less tendency to have the shape of the canopy distorted. This will make the biggest difference during landing, where as you slow down the trailing pilot chute can distort the shape of the canopy, making your landings more difficult.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

ok :)
and as pilot chute material ,
zero porosity, f-111 or standard ?
what are the pros and cons of each ?

Depends on the size, both size and material are variables the have an effect regarding the extraction speed.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

PD says this:

"A Real Drag
Collapsible pilot chutes have been available for a number of years. Most rigs being used today
are equipped with one. These pilot chutes collapse after the canopy has deployed, which improves
performance by reducing drag on the canopy in flight. A collapsible pilot chute will normally improve a
canopy’s glide, make it easier to land, and will often let the canopy turn more smoothly and handle
turbulence better.
Some people believe that collapsible pilot chutes are not necessary on larger canopies, but the
fact is they can improve performance on any size canopy. Even a relatively large canopy may have a full
glide speed of 30 mph or more. At this speed, an inflated pilot chute creates a substantial amount of
drag, and has a significant effect on the canopy’s performance."

Aerodyne says (can't find the article someone quoted to me in the past) that for canopies sized 170 & above. The difference is negligible.

billbooth: "Everything humans do to go faster entails risk....whether it's fast cars, fast parachutes, or for that matter, fast women. Highly loaded ZP canopies, micro lines, and collapsible pilot chutes and sliders, all add risk to your skydive. But skydiving itself is risky, and who's to say when the risk becomes "too much". The answer, of course, is "You are". Don't go too far, too fast. You simply don't need all the fast stuff on your first rig. Freefall ought to be enough for a while. I enjoyed the hell out of my few hundred skydives, and my main, a Para-Commander only went 10 MPH."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3767101;search_string=collapsible;#3767101

Lots of opinions on this. I'm curious about it as well. For garden variety fun jumping, does a 1:1-ish loaded canopy really need a collapsible PC?

"

... is it worth getting a collapsible pilot chute for a sabre 2 170 ? ...

"

How heavily are you loading that Sabre 170?

If you are hanging less than 170 pounds under it, you will probably not feel much difference.

I didn't have one for a sabre (original sabre) 135 loaded at 1.37 and I don't have one for my current free fall canopy, a springo 120 @ 1.55. I mainly do CRW so I don't use it a lot. If I would use it often, I would get a collapsible PC. That said, it flies and lands just fine.

In the world of Need vs. Nice, I'd say a collapsible PC is a nice thing to have. I've seen PC's distort the canopy visibly on smaller canopies, OTOH I don't notice the difference between a 36'' and a 46'' non collapsible PC on my Troll 245 in flight, loaded at .7-.75. In fact, the PC doesn't really pull on the Troll, it dances more.

I had a lightning 143 @ 1.3 where the PC (32'' ZP non vented) would inflate from time to time (retractable bridle, no kill cone) and it was noticeable when it did. Not to the point where you would feel it though, but if you looked at it from the side, you could see the distortion on the top skin.

I don't think you will feel any difference on a lightly loaded (around 1 lbs/sq.ft.) 170.

As for material, ZP is the way to go IMHO. It will last longer and the fabric will not deteriorate as much over time.

ok :)
and as pilot chute material ,
zero perosity, f-111 or standart ?
what are the pros and cons of each ?

Check here

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4269162;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I agree with Rob.

If you are hanging less than 170 pounds under it, you will probably not feel much difference.

At your skill level and wing loading (yes I already know what it is from one of your other threads) you will not be able to tell an appreciable difference.

If that small of a difference is troublesome, you have other, much more serious, problems to learn about and overcome.

Still, given your previous questions about canopy size and downsizing, go ahead and get the collapsible....where you are aiming, it may make more of a difference when you get there.

Just don't forget to cock the damned thing and practice your EPs for PC In Tow so you'll have it down pat when you do forget.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239