J0nathan

confused...

hi
as you might have noticed i am posting quite a lot of gear related questions lately, i am looking to buy my first gear.

now there is a problem, i was speaking with two instructors which offered to help me and i am getting different input.

one is saying i should buy a 170 based on my wingloading

and the other one is saying a 170 is way to big an a 140 is fine.

so what should i belive now ? i weigh 65 kg (143 lbs) and i have 36 jumps

blue skies

You should not get a 140. That would give you a WL of 1.21:1,and that is too much. I think instructor number 1 is the most reasonable one, you should probably speak to him/her again. According to wingload rules here where I live, you are 1 kg from not being allowed to jump a 150, so 140 is way too small. You should also not be taking advice from anyone here, that's what instructors that know you and your canopy skills are for.

I am about 60 kilos, and after consulting several instructors that I trust and know, I have been adviced to get a 150. My wingload is 1.06:1, a lot of people here probably think that that's too much, but I am following the handbook rules we have here and like I said, I have spoken to instructors about it, and they are confident that I have the skills to fly it.

Jonathan

Your exit weight is 158 - 163 lbs approx with gear.

According to conventional wisdom a maximum wingloading of 1:1 ie 1lb per sq ft of canopy is the maximum that you should have at this time so a 160 - 170 is the minimum size that you should be jumping using this system.

Brian Germain has a great downsizing chart see www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf.

According to this an exit weight of 165 and your jump numbers would give a 190 as a sensible canopy to currently use (middle of range) and a 170 or 160 as the SMALLEST you should use depending on your canopy skills.

I would strongly suggest speaking to your instructors further as they are the only people to have seen you flying a canopy (I certainly haven't)...

ask why they have made their recommendations and decide honestly which you feel is giving you SAFE advice.

Remember once you leave the plane - you're on your own until you return to earth so stay within your own personal Comfort Zone - no sense in rushing things only to get busted up!!

Too right. Guy with the 170 is trying to offload a boat

Too right. We should be encouraging people to go as small as possible on every gear purchase.

Everyone KNOWs that the Colour is more important than size :-)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

at this point in time....

170 at minimum
190 would be better

It's not about canopy size OR wing loading.
It's about skills.

And it's NOT about stand-up landings off a normal pattern.

What it IS about is:
Have you developed canopy skills on your current canopy to the point of being able to land in bad conditions, off the dz, with your wing over your head, avoiding collisions at low altitudes, long spot recovery, downwind landings...and much much more....

If so, 170.
If not 190 and LEARN all those things before you go smaller.
Simplicity in itself...better safe than sorry.

Do NOT fall into that trap of, "you'll get tired of the bigger one soon enough and you'll want smaller so get the smaller now."

I'm not happy with guy #2's advice.

Good luck.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

, I have spoken to instructors about it, and they are confident that I have the skills to fly it.

Specifically what skills DO you have that enabled them to come to that conclusion?

I am following the handbook rules...

Please not that those rules are only guidelines. They do not mean that you automatically qualify for anything. It's your skill set that qualifies you, not a table of numbers.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

170 at minimum
190 would be better

It's not about canopy size OR wing loading.
It's about skills.

And it's NOT about stand-up landings off a normal pattern.

What it IS about is:
Have you developed canopy skills on your current canopy to the point of being able to land in bad conditions, off the dz, with your wing over your head, avoiding collisions at low altitudes, long spot recovery, downwind landings...and much much more....

Just to add something to what Andy has said. Read up what the manufacturers recommend for a specific canopy as well. Size is important but the design is equally important. For example a Stiletto is not a good choice even at 170.