Sebazz1

What Is Acceptable Beer

Four types of beer drinkers. All can be found at a dropzone although it seems like young instructors are number 2s, and freefliers are number 4 :)1. "yeah buddy" Silver Bullet, budlight or miller light only and often very violently oppsed to the others, often drives a pickup truck.
2. "The beemer" this guy is the classic beer snob with no taste. thinks Heineken, shiner, Corona, Dos XX, and an occasional light microbrew are the cream and everything else is for losers. these guys are also called "green bottles" :D
3. "The malty" The real snob...drinks Old Rasputin Imperial stout, Samuel smiths Oatmeal Stout, Carlsburg Elephant, Will not pay less than $7.00 for a 6 pack, and he can actually tell the difference between a Lambic and a weiss beer. Often wears Tye dye and shops at whole earth stores.
4. "Yeah, I'll have one" Drink anything, Shlitz malt Liquor, Lite, or Double Chocolate Stout...often was a number 1 that became a number 3 in the military while serving over seas.

often drives a pickup truck

What's your point? I have knobby tires and it sits high too, next you'll make fun of my long antenna...;)
I understand where you're coming from Slappie, at the point where I have to chew my beer, it's getting a little weird for me. That and I have a really high tolerance, so I can either drink 6 of the "good" beers and just be full or drink 18 of my beers and have a little buzz going.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

I was a 1...I do drive a Jeep...does that count. I used to drink a lot of Bud Light and Ice House. Then I discovered "Rolling Rock" and I love it. So I guess that makes me a 2. I like Heineken but only if you can find the Non-Skunky variety. I can't do this reliably so I gave up on it. Rolling Rock it is. Definately not a 4....Most of the snooty beers I have tried I can't stand. One of my friends took me to this place to try a Black and Tan in Southern Pines, NC. (Sorta Ritzy Golfing community) That crap tasted like it was cooked out in a tin radiator. UGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I've had much better tasting moon shine!!!!! :)"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

Here's some fun facts about Skunky beer:
Skunking is caused by being exposed to light. Sunlight is the worst, the 2nd worst is the flourescents in the display cases ( irony abounds). Clear bottles skunk faster than Green, and Green skunks faster than Brown, but eventually they all skunk.
Age and heat do not help either. Beer is delicate and should not be left around to age.
One thing I do when I buy beer is try to get it in unopened cases - I don't buy cans (doesn't mean I won't drink from one) - I know the cardboard affords it some protection. Many beers come in those 12-pack boxes and I have had good success avoiding skunk - even from Heinekens - when buying these.
When I go buy a beer at a restaurant, I try to get it on tap, but that only works if the people who work there are scupulous about keeping the tap workings clean. How do you know if they don't? It just tastes bad.
-Sandy (the only bad beer in the world is a skunked beer!)

Age and heat do not help either. Beer is delicate and should not be left around to age.

If I brew a rich ale that has a fairly high alcohol content, it tastes better if it ages longer. And I've heard that if you make a REALLY high alcohol beer, such as a barley wine, you need to age it for a like six months. Of course, you're right about protecting it from light, i.e., only use brown bottles and store them away from direct light.
A friend of mine had some stout he'd made over a year ago (he makes good beer, but he is a really wimpy beer drinker, obviously not a skydiver), and the beer tasted just great.
Speed Racer
What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork from my lunch?!
-WC Fields

I think most of what harms it has to be all the abuse the beer takes in shipping. All the shaking, temp extremes, light, etc just ruins most impotrs. I have had Heineken that I liked a lot but the last 3 times I tried to buy any it was skunky. UUUUGGHHHHH!!!!!!!! I'll stick with what is brewed near where ever it is I happen to be standing. :)"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

A number of years ago, I did a tour of the Heineken brewery. They were at like 10 am. You walked through the whole brewing and bottling procedure, and ended in a big room with really long tables. At each place was a nice big mug of Heineken. So I sat down and had mine. I turned to talk to someone, then turned forward again. Damn, my empty mug was replaced with a full one. Repeat until in a stupor. Stumble out of the brewery.
Unlike Heiney in the states, that stuff was fresh and delicious! :)Justin
My Homepage

"Isn't Black and Tan sumthin' drank by people who don't have the stomach for real Guinness?"
I'm not sure what it is......but I think it probably tastes the same as the "Tin Man's" ass. I'm serious, it tasted like the inside of a tin can. It was horrible and now that I think about it....It was a little watery for such a dark beer....
"Carb Heat On....Carb Heat On.....Carb Heat On..."-Phil Polstra :)Clay

Isn't Black and Tan sumthin' drank by people who don't have the stomach for real Guinness?

Maybe, but who cares what you think? ;)
My friends, I can DRINK some BEER, but a couple of years ago in Boston, not wanting to look like a wuss, I drank straight Guiness the whole time. I don't remember much of Boston.
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

You must have drank a serious load of it then? ;) Since it's only like 4% alchohol
- it's one of the lowest calorie non-light beers you can get - ironicly, Corona is one of the highest (useless info). Went through 3 pitchers of Guinness one night and managed to make into work shortly after noontime the next day (certainly didn't look nor feel too purty though).
I just hate seeing people water it down with some other 'lighter' swill, just defeats the purpose. *heh*

Yeah, guinness is like 4 to 4.5% alcohol. Lite beers are only about 2-3% alcohol though. That's why they say people who like lite beer don't actually like beer, they just like to pee a lot!
Guinness also has B vitamins & some protein in it so that reduces the hangover effect.
Homebrew is even better b/c it actually still has some of the lviing brewers yeast still in it (it's not filtered or pasteurized). Brewers yeast is a health food!
<>I've heard that one pint of homebrew has 120% USRDA of Vitamin B12. That's why beer was so important in ancient Mesopotamia & in medieval Europe where people ate very little meat & had trouble getting enough B12 from the rest of their food.<>
Speed Racer
-WC Fields

I just hate seeing people water it down with some other 'lighter' swill, just defeats the purpose. *heh*

Ever had a Car Bomb? Fill a shot glass half full of Irish Whiskey (Can't remember the brand. Was it Myers?) and half full of Bailey's and drop the glass in a pint of Guiness. Bottoms up.
That'll keep you warm.
flyhiB|

Ever had a Car Bomb? Fill a shot glass half full of Irish Whiskey (Can't remember the brand. Was it Myers?) and half full of Bailey's and drop the glass in a pint of Guiness. Bottoms up.

A girl in a bar introduced me to that. I didn't like it. It spoiled the taste, and besides, you're supposed to drink & enjoy a pint of Guinness, not chug it.
Speed Racer
-WC Fields