benw853

Container damage

As mentioned, don't use a knife or scissors for anything. If you're at the point you feel you need either one of those, consult a rigger.

Don't overstuff a rig with too much canopy, or too tight of a closing loop. You can blow out a grommet or stiffener flap while tyring to close it if it's too tight. Again, consult a rigger if you're having problems getting it closed. Could be too tight, could be your not packing it correctly.

Take care of the gear. Make sure the area you're packing in is clean and dry, and out of direct sunlight. Avoid dragging the rig, or putting your weight on rig. You might need to pin the rig down with your knee to close the flaps, but you don't need to sit on it. One knee on the ground, the other knee puching down just enough to hold the rig in place.

Don't roll the lines ( risers ) under the reserve container. You might end up with some nasty burn marks on the container :S. It will be an expensive repair.

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Damaging your container:

1. At a discussion at PIA one of the manufacturers discussed the practice of upending the rig (setting it on it's "top") to stuff the thowout pilot chute . That practice was highly discouraged for two reasons: 1. It is possible to pinch or wear the AAD cable2. That practice distorts the top of the rig and puts a crushing strain/force never contemplated by any mfg.

2. Personally I cringe every time I see a packer assume the contortionist lotus position and sit on their butt and pull/drag the rigs towards them to stow the lines; and as they pull each line stow towards them, the front of the rig, including the biggest cloth loop of the 3 ring is being ground away over a deset sand imbedded carpet, and is getting dirty. The rig should be placed on a packing mat to drag it to stow the lines. But, they never are. ( all right, I should never say never) Even if the carpet is clean, it is still abraisive. Packers could care less if your cutaway pillow is grinding away and getting filthy dirty as they pull the rig towords them. Nor do they care if the big loop of your 3 ring is being slowly ground to fuzziness as the rig grinds away over their carpet. Insist on a packing mat being placed under your rig if they are going to do the "pull the rig to them" method. If you are packing for yourself, one way to avoid all damage is to stow the lines on the D bag and move the D bag to the rig for each stow- or use a packing mat to do the dragging.

3. Also, in the long run, putting your feet on the container and pulling a packing tool with huge force will- eventually- pull out the grommets. Use any such tool with good judgement, and if it is so dang tight that you are pulling really really hard on the closing loop to close it, (feet against the rig and arching your back strongly), then something is wrong there. Loop too short, main too big, etc. Eventually, by repeatedly putting an excessive pulling force on the pull up cord, or packing tool, you will slowly tear away the fabric from it's grommet, little by little, on the far side of the grommet. How much force is excessive? Heck, I don't have a scale standed, but you should know if you are pushing with your feet, and pulling like an olympic rower to get it closed, your pack grommets will pull out eventually. Yes, this takes a long time, but it does happen, and is usually not noticed until the flap needs a rebuild just to set a new grommet.

Damaging your container:

1. At a discussion at PIA one of the manufacturers discussed the practice of upending the rig (setting it on it's "top") to stuff the thowout pilot chute . That practice was highly discouraged for two reasons: 1. It is possible to pinch or wear the AAD cable2. That practice distorts the top of the rig and puts a crushing strain/force never contemplated by any mfg.

2. Personally I cringe every time I see a packer assume the contortionist lotus position and sit on their butt and pull/drag the rigs towards them to stow the lines; and as they pull each line stow towards them, the front of the rig, including the biggest cloth loop of the 3 ring is being ground away over a deset sand imbedded carpet, and is getting dirty. The rig should be placed on a packing mat to drag it to stow the lines. But, they never are. ( all right, I should never say never) Even if the carpet is clean, it is still abraisive. Packers could care less if your cutaway pillow is grinding away and getting filthy dirty as they pull the rig towords them. Nor do they care if the big loop of your 3 ring is being slowly ground to fuzziness as the rig grinds away over their carpet. Insist on a packing mat being placed under your rig if they are going to do the "pull the rig to them" method. If you are packing for yourself, one way to avoid all damage is to stow the lines on the D bag and move the D bag to the rig for each stow- or use a packing mat to do the dragging.

3. Also, in the long run, putting your feet on the container and pulling a packing tool with huge force will- eventually- pull out the grommets. Use any such tool with good judgement, and if it is so dang tight that you are pulling really really hard on the closing loop to close it, (feet against the rig and arching your back strongly), then something is wrong there. Loop too short, main too big, etc. Eventually, by repeatedly putting an excessive pulling force on the pull up cord, or packing tool, you will slowly tear away the fabric from it's grommet, little by little, on the far side of the grommet. How much force is excessive? Heck, I don't have a scale standed, but you should know if you are pushing with your feet, and pulling like an olympic rower to get it closed, your pack grommets will pull out eventually. Yes, this takes a long time, but it does happen, and is usually not noticed until the flap needs a rebuild just to set a new grommet.

Thats alot of good information. Thank you for the detailed response. I wish Everyone could be that helpful.

Damaging your container:

3. Also, in the long run, putting your feet on the container and pulling a packing tool with huge force will- eventually- pull out the grommets. Use any such tool with good judgement, and if it is so dang tight that you are pulling really really hard on the closing loop to close it, (feet against the rig and arching your back strongly), then something is wrong there. Loop too short, main too big, etc.

Bad technique.

A lot of people seem to stop short of getting enough closing loop through each grommet to finish the job and end up cranking on it to get enough slack at the end when it's got the friction and tension from all the flaps.

I say that having closed rigs painlessly with tiny t-rex software engineer arms, just a pull up cord, and no yoga moves after the owners were cranking on them with their power tool.

A number of years ago a European agency, I think it was the Belgium military, did a study on what surfaces were most abrasive to canopy fabric. One of the worst? An old poly tarp like many people pack on. The fibers of the plastic stick up like thorns. One of the best? Smoothly finished concrete like you find in a factory or warehouse.

Bottom line, buy a drag mat and use it or walk the bag to the container. And make sure the drag mat protects the entire rig.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When I was working on my Senior ticket, the rigger I was working with showed me a way of closing that really works. Working the material to the sides and corners of the container, with the flat of my hands while pulling on the pull-up cord. I was amazed at how much slack I had in the closing flaps. This could be tricky with some of the smaller containers out there but it is actually much easier closing. Using a packing fid or paddle isn't a great idea if, you're not experienced with one. The idea is to take a lot of strain off of the closing flaps and grommets. Damage happens when all that canopy material is being forced along with the flaps. Finesse it!

Chuck